Join Early Retirement Today

Who has cut the cord ???
Old 12-04-2018, 04:14 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Who has cut the cord ???

I'm thinking of cutting cable TV and just go with streaming. I have Comcast and their prices keep creeping up and most channels we don't watch anyway.
Just haven't decided and streaming services.

So, who has cut the cord ... and what do you like for streaming services??
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2018, 04:42 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...-tv-87375.html
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:45 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
There is an active thread with close to 1000 posts on that topic, which z3d linked. Doesn’t mean we can’t have another new thread discussion, just an FYI ..
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:48 AM   #4

OOOh. ... I didn't see that. Thx
Old 12-04-2018, 05:59 AM   #5

I’ve never paid for cable unless it was bundled into my rent or with phone/internet service.

That said, my internet costs spiked recently simultaneously with the expiration of the HBO teaser rate. So I slashed my internet service to the bone. DW and I don’t miss the cable, we hardly ever watched it anyway, and I haven’t noticed any problems with the decreased bandwidth. We never have more than three devices running and we don’t play any involved online games or anything.

Very close to 100% of our television comes from Netflix via our Apple TV pod. There are some shows on Amazon Prime I’d like to watch, but it’s not worth the cost.

I also watch a bunch of shows on YouTube. I’m amazed that one man with a smartphone can create content that’s free and of true quality. Just think, a Julia Child’s style cooking show used to need, quite recently, an entire studio kitchen with camera operators and sound engineer, lighting, producer, writer, performer/cook, etc. Now, all of that can be accomplished in one’s own kitchen with a few thousand dollars worth of equipment. I think the ongoing democratization of entertainment is beautiful.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:08 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There is a cord cutters group on Facebook with a lot of good info.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:19 AM   #7

We cut the cable TV cord 6 years ago and haven't looked back.

Netflix, Hulu & Amazon are the streaming services we subscribe to (along with our annual PBS membership). We use a Roku streaming stick.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:08 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
There's a lot of great info in that thread, though some of the earlier posts may not be up to date. Here's a brief summary I recently posted on another forum FWIW (that OP was asking about a new TV with 4K and high refresh rates along with cord cutting in general):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack
We cut the cord almost a year ago, and we’ve been thrilled. We use Roku streaming devices and PlayStation Vue for $50/mo, 3 TV’s plus iPads, cloud DVR and we have over 60 channels including all 5 live locals. The cord cutting market is NOT “too cut-up with too many hardware choices and various subscriptions to fool with” at all anymore. No more complicated than cable or satellite. There are lots of good choices, far better value than cable or satellite - there’s a good reason they’re all losing more and more subscribers after year.
  • There’s not much 4K TV content, most is 720p with some 1080p, a 4K TV won’t make any difference unless it’s native 4K content. If you watch a lot of on demand movies like Netflix, 4K is available though. Most people couldn't tell the difference between 1080p HD vs 4K unless there comparing side by side on large screens (at least 55”).
  • 60Hz is fine for most programming, 120Hz is better for sports or other fast action, but again if the content is 25Hz, 30Hz or 60Hz, a 120Hz TV doesn’t help.
  • You’d want at least 2 HDMI ports, and not all HDMI ports support 4K, so make sure you check. My main TV has 4 HDMI ports, but only 1 supports 4K.
  • I don’t use any USB ports for streaming, though some streamers (Roku, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Chromecast, etc.) can use USB as their power source, though I think they’ll all plug into 120V so USB isn’t necessary.
  • You probably know your alternatives for live broadcast streaming are PlayStation Vue (you don’t need a PlayStation), DirecTV Now, Hulu Live, YouTube TV, Sling TV, Philo TV mostly. What channels you’ll get are specific to your location, especially if you want live local ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox - so you MUST check. And simultaneous streams (watching more than 1 TV) vary for live streaming providers, so does cloud DVR.
  • And you probably want to make sure your internet connection is at least 25 Mbps for 1080p, more for a lot of 4K.
  • And if you decide to use an antenna to receive live local broadcasts OTA, make sure you check reception at your house. Checking your zip code or even your neighborhood may not be the same at your home.
You cannot go based on anyone else's recommendation - what's available to you in your home will most likely differ from anyone else other than your immediate neighbors. What we use is NOT a good choice for everyone even if you want the same content we get.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:11 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

And here is a link to Clark Howard's recent update of streaming services:

https://clark.com/technology/tvsatel...ns-deals-2018/
Old 12-04-2018, 08:29 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post

Netflix, Hulu & Amazon are the streaming services we subscribe to (along with our annual PBS membership). We use a Roku streaming stick.
I've cut the cord a long time ago. Do have Amazon Prime for streaming and SlingTV for baseball playoffs if the team I'm cheering for is any good. Major networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS, FOX) is free OTA tv for me.

I avoid adding a lot of subscriptions as that would be like cable TV on router at cable TV prices which IMO sort of defeats the purpose of cutting the cord in the first place .
Old 12-04-2018, 08:54 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post

Same here dropping cable TV many years ago. Netflix and Amazon Prime Video and PBS streaming on Apple TV.

We are experimenting with the recent uber cheap Hulu offer. Haven’t found anything watch worthy for us on Hulu itself even though we’ve sampled several shows. But we are really enjoying the deeply discounted Showtime programming available through Hulu.

We’re at the max internet speed available to us - 20mbps. It works well.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:58 AM   #12

1. Secure internet with no data cap or a high data cap. 50 to 100mb is fast enough
2. Choose your streaming device. Amazon Fire TV, Roku, Apple TV
3. Try out various streaming packages. Locals based on your location. Many offer free 7 day trials.
4. A wifi router like Google Wifi makes streaming a breeze

We have #1 with no data cap, 100mb speed.

Amazon Fire TV boxes and sticks (We have Amazon Prime)

Playstation Vue for coming up to 3 years. $49.99 package. All locals except ABC. Lots of sports, great UI, DVR, quality picture. No reason to try something else.

Hulu TV Live is second place. In-laws use that. UI not at good. Season with Netflix and/or a Movie package. Plenty of stuff to watch.

We have a 3 unit Google Wifi mesh router. Amazing device.

Good luck!
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:03 AM   #13

Cut the cord in 1998.

To the OP. Why not add a poll ?
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:29 AM   #14

We cut the cord 5 years ago when I retired and finally had time to pay attention to stuff like this. Here's our setup FWIW:

We have FiOS 50/50 internet for $54/mo. For home phone, we use a free Google Voice number with an Obi-200 VoIP adapter for totally free landline phone service.

TV subscriptions include PS Vue "Access" and Netflix for $59/mo combined. No OTA available in our area. We also have access to Amazon Prime Video and the PBS library via PBS Passport. But I don't consider those to be "TV subscriptions" since we would pay for them regardless of the video offering.

For hardware, we have three TVs, all equipped with Fire TV streaming boxes (two gen2 boxes and the newer Cube). The main TV also has a Chromecast. And we have two Echos (Alexa) that provide hands-free control of the TVs as well as other home automation stuff.

DW is the main user of PS Vue and Netflix. She watches what I would call "traditional TV"... major network programming, a few cable channels, and Netflix movies and originals.

I mainly watch YouTube. I subscribe to ~25 channels that keep me thoroughly entertained and informed on topics like woodworking, music, cooking, gardening, DIY repairs, science, technology, history, and news (PBS NewsHour). Even for sports, I watch the 10-minute summaries of NFL games on YouTube. I have no patience for a 3-hour broadcast consisting mainly of beer commercials. If not on YouTube, I'm probably watching a documentary on PBS, the Science Channel, or the Smithsonian Channel.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:55 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post
I'm thinking of cutting cable TV and just go with streaming. I have Comcast and their prices keep creeping up and most channels we don't watch anyway.
Just haven't decided and streaming services.

So, who has cut the cord ... and what do you like for streaming services??
I completely cut cable TV in the summer of 2014, although I retained (and still have) cable internet.

I have an OTA antenna and I use no streaming services at all because I think that (for me!) I can't see the point in cutting out cable TV if I was to then turn around and pay for streaming instead.

So anyway, my actual monthly cost for TV is $0.00. That's the way I like it.

Recently I went to YouTube on my laptop computer and watched an episode of what used to be my favorite TV series. It wasn't very popular at the time, but I was amazed at how awful it was. There were a few moments in the hour long show that were interesting from a spiritual point of view, but most of it was just garbage like the rest of TV offerings. And that was the best of the best, or so I thought at the time.

To me, TV is just garbage propaganda and brainwashing for the most part. I love not exposing my brain to that degree of brainwashing and having to pay for it too is just insane IMO. YMMV and does for everyone else here apparently. That's fine, each to his/her own but that is my choice. I feel like my life is so enhanced now.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:13 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I cut the cord a few years ago but re-tied the cord earlier this year due to a decent promotion with my cable provider. Cord cutting is fine and I could do it again, but I'm not planning on ever going cold turkey and just rely on OTA. Not enough channels in my area to satisfy me. I like live sports and cable channels(or through streaming services) gives me that.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:28 PM   #17

Sort of cut the cord a year ago. Went from $115 per month to $34 per month, for a lower tier with fewer channels. Still too many channels, just pay a lot less! $34 has become $38, so far, and will no doubt keep creeping up. Plenty of old retro shows that I like, for vegging out in front of tube. No interest in Netflix, Hulu, Roku, etc. Too much trouble. I'll keep it simple with the basic lower tier cable stuff! lol...
John Galt III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:35 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have an OTA antenna and I use no streaming services at all because I think that (for me!) I can't see the point in cutting out cable TV if I was to then turn around and pay for streaming instead.
Savings of 1/2 to 2/3rds and fewer garbage channels is appealing to those who still like to watch some broadcast or on demand TV...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:44 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I pay $113/mo for cable (w/Showtime) and internet. I think it's a fair price. I also pay $15/mo for Netflix and use my daughter's prime account.
Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I tend to agree. The live streaming services are the same basic product as traditional cable and satellite, but typically bundled into a leaner package and distributed over the internet.

However, for those who want access to some traditional live TV and maybe can't get OTA, I think the "point" is that it can be significantly cheaper. But I think the cost gap is shrinking. I pay $113/mo for internet, PSV, and Netflix. Our local cable provider offers a triple play for $89/mo (1st year price). But I'd still buy Netflix. And with STB rentals, the total would be around $120-125. So at $113 for my streaming setup, the savings are minimal. Now if I was coming off a bloated package, with a bunch of channels I didn't care about, no intro-pricing, and a house-full of STBs, paying $225/mo, then the $113 looks pretty good. But I think the true apples-to-apples comparison on price is not as compelling as it once was.

For me, the "point" is not so much about price. Rather, that the new live streaming services are simply better than traditional cable and satellite. It's portable, cloud DVR, easy switching with free trials, more on-demand, better user interface, better content integration, excellent search functionality, and lots of great (and affordable) hardware options including voice control, etc. The new streaming boxes are much quicker than the clunky old cable STBs. IMHO, it's just a better, more innovative solution in almost every aspect.