Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I joined in July 2006 and will retire in 2014 (maybe) or 2017 (probably). That's definitely a delay from my initial goal, but the behaviour of the markets and the absence of a pension have spooked me.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm sure there are some who've been here longer, but I think I got here in 2006. Still planning to FIRE when DH retires from the military in mid-2015, in no small part thanks to the crowd here!

Edit - I see it was Jan 2007...

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I was layed off, canned, made redundant, etc Jan 93. Was an unemployed slacker. Did some temp work (jobshopper) 95, 96 about a year in total. Took my first pension check in Aug 98 (age 55).

When I found this forum surfing with my trusty WebTV I became a super duper ER and received a 'real computer' for Christmas.

Almost as good when I was 11 and got my first BB gun!

heh heh heh - .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:55 AM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
I was layed off, canned, made redundant, etc Jan 93. Was an unemployed slacker. Did some temp work (jobshopper) 95, 96 about a year in total. Took my first pension check in Aug 98 (age 55).

When I found this forum surfing with my trusty WebTV I became a super duper ER and received a 'real computer' for Christmas.

heh heh heh - .
LOL, unclemick, you are certainly a long tenured ERer. I do miss your posts about norweign widow stocks and psst Wellsley.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Shoot, this is one contest I don't want to win. I joined in 2004 but had been lurking for quite a while before. I am hoping to retire in 2013.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post

heh heh heh - .
So basically you're disqualified because you retired before they invented the internet.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:57 AM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
So basically you're disqualified because you retired before they Al Gore invented the internet.
Let me fix that for you
Old 05-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #28
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
So basically you're disqualified because you retired before they invented the internet.
Not exactly - he knew Al Gore! (AKA "founder of the internet" )....
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Joined in 2005 under a different moniker, but lurked for a while before that. Interestingly, I joined within a year of graduating college and starting full time post college employment. I am now about 4 years from FI, so if I stick it out for that period of time I will have been here virtually all of my working career.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Fuego, showoff.
I think a lot of the young dreamer category folks drift in and then drift out when we realize how long it is until we can quit.
I've been here since Sept 2005 and have at least 6-8 more years to go of work before I can hang up my boots.
So I'm at 7 years on the board pre-ER and I can't remember how long as a Mod.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hmm, only actually made an account on this board relatively recently, but I was a poster on the FIRE board on Motley Fool back in the days when Intercst and the-one-who-must-not-be-named and Dory, etc. were actively posting.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #32

I joined last summer and don't intend to retire until 70--fifteen years from now. My introductory post was about the bag lady syndrome which I have in spades. Can you post this question in fifteen years so I can win the prize?
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Fuego, showoff.
I think a lot of the young dreamer category folks drift in and then drift out when we realize how long it is until we can quit.
I've been here since Sept 2005 and have at least 6-8 more years to go of work before I can hang up my boots.
So I'm at 7 years on the board pre-ER and I can't remember how long as a Mod.
Showoff? I consider my membership here as something like an AA membership (2 A's, not 3). Something to help me keep to the program and not fall off the wagon. Something to help resist the temptations that lurk out there among fellow mankind.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Showoff? I consider my membership here as something like an AA membership (2 A's, not 3). Something to help me keep to the program and not fall off the wagon. Something to help resist the temptations that lurk out there among fellow mankind.
I meant about you signing up within a year of graduating college, when you should have been out spending whatever discretionary money you had available on things that would better qualify you for that AA membership instead of room-size stacks of sale-priced toilet paper!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I meant about you signing up within a year of graduating college, when you should have been out spending whatever discretionary money you had available on things that would better qualify you for that AA membership instead of room-size stacks of sale-priced toilet paper!
I guess you didn't see the back of the van full of rum and other liquid refreshments we brought back from that Caribbean cruise last time we were down there!
Old 07-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #36

I joined in 2004 after lurking for a year or so. Not retired yet (2017); but started my planning, spreadsheets, and pie-eyed smiling during staff meetings in 1992, when I thought I only had 10 years left! But 2017 is now IT. Really,....I mean it this time .... no kidding around....

BB
Bryan Barnfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Barnfellow View Post
I joined in 2004 after lurking for a year or so. Not retired yet (2017); but started my planning, spreadsheets, and pie-eyed smiling during staff meetings in 1992, when I thought I only had 10 years left! But 2017 is now IT. Really,....I mean it this time .... no kidding around....

BB
You're sure? We're gonna hold you to that. Maybe by then you'll have time to post more frequently. Even monthly.

Seriously, thanks for updating us and also for starting the 2017 class thread.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:03 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I noticed it has been 5 years since I joined .. I became really agressive on saving in the past 3 years and will RE in a little more than 2 months.. Certainly not a record, but I was surprised at how long I have been around on the board.
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #39
gone traveling

The amazing thing with this board is that it transcends early retirement due to the rich content in so many areas
Old 07-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #40

I have been kicking around since 06 and will retire in 14. I joined because some of the offbeat forums, offbeat people and good offbeat advise. I guess I am an offbeat, too.