Join Early Retirement Today

Who have you met?
Old 02-14-2019, 06:45 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Who have you met?

Seems to me that some time ago I stumbled on a simple truth. “It is your deeds that truly reflect who you are”.

I was at one of Chase Manhattan’s Banks corporate gyms getting dressed, into the provided work out gear (yeah I know fancy) I struck up and conversation with an older gentlemen”. Seemed like a Nice fellow- Nothing flashy, just a down to earth guy . Finally I asked him his name “David Rockefeller” he said. I said “thats embarrassing” he then went on to explain that he had retired from being CEO just before i started and there was no reason to be ashamed.”

I did a little research and talked to some long term employees and I had called it right he had a reputation of being a well liked, great guy. I’ve read his philanthropic endeavors were legendary as was his art collection. My point is there are good, humble people at all economic levels in our society.

A simple jack of all trades and someone I respect said he had spoken in front of a big audience in a pair of jeans (likely the best clothes he owned) and later a well dress man took a shot at him and said “clothes make the man”. It got me to thinking I’ve seen all types in my 64 years and no suit or pair of wranglers ever had a sign “This is a good or bad man”. It reminded me of my friend Dave.

Funny I’m sure Bernie Madoff dressed swell.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2019, 07:07 AM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Kate Smith and Ted Collins... The Inn at Lake Placid New York, circa 1970. We joined them for breakfast.. where I learned that Kate had maple syrup on her eggs.

yeah... I know... "who is Kate Smith?"

Old 02-14-2019, 07:12 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Kate Smith and Ted Collins...

yeah... I know... "who is Kate Smith?"
Actually, the question is "who is Ted Collins?" I'm guessing he was Tom's brother?
Old 02-14-2019, 08:17 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Actually, the question is "who is Ted Collins?" I'm guessing he was Tom's brother?
I don't know Ted, but I sure like Tom. Of course, trying to find someone who can come up with him is pretty tough.

I once waited on Jerry VanDyke when I worked at Chili's. He was a very nice fellow.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:28 AM   #5

I’ve never met anyone famous but I’ve been in meetings and events and know some very wealthy people and I’ve come to the conclusion that they are just like everyone else. Some are great people and some are complete jerks. Money does not typically define a personality and clothing does not typically define wealth.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:41 AM   #6

These are face to face with conversation:
Maya Angelo
Count Basie
Dick Butkus
Harry Reasoner (60 minutes)
Stevie Nicks
Ray Davies
JB Pritzker
Boy George
My mom met Bono of U2-he gave her a rose-they had a sweet conversation
forgot Mike Ditka and his wife and mom

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:09 AM   #7

Jesse Jackson: sat next to him on a plane
David Koch: Koch Industries had recently bought a vendor I dealt with. He joined us in a business meeting
Old 02-14-2019, 09:16 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sally Ride- several business meetings to discuss educational initiatives.

Michelle Obama - one very brief face-to-face to discuss mechanics of a personal appearance.

Zach Johnson - many years before he won the Masters he was looking for monetary support and talked to several of us at our home course in Iowa. Played a couple of holes of golf with him. Should have made the investment.

Oh, forgot. In my career in teacher professional development, I met a few Nobel prize winners in Physics, Leon Lederman, George Smoot and Steven Chu.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:38 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
While I've met some rich folks, many of them were just like me only they had lots and lots of money. They came across as ordinary, people.

There have been very few who felt the need to dress to impress, and treat others like "the help".

I did once spend about an hour talking with Tom Green while we both waited at the airport for our flight. He was a lot nicer in person than how I thought he would be based on the movies I saw him in.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:02 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I actually touched Elvis. Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo early 70's. He was riding in a golf cart waving and I reached out and he touched my hand. That and I've met just about every driver in the Nascar circuit over the past 20 years.
COZICAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:09 AM   #11

Second base with a Royal well known in European classical music circles.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:11 AM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

I used to work with a guy who loved driving his old pick up truck to home depot. I remember him complaining that when he replaced it, you could no longer get crank windows. Nice guy who never looked down on anyone.

He was also the guy who was invited to the white house to speak with President Bush during the flu crisis in 2009.
lakerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:13 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Living and working in the NYC, you run into famous people from time to time... But i'll just mention those that I or my wife actually had a conversation with:

OJ Simpson - 1985
Nancy Lopez (golfer)
Billy Jean King
Patrick Ewing
Ed Koch
Rick Cerone
known MAFIA person (confidential)
former football player (he goes to the same watering hole as me - likes his tiquila - so I'll keep that on the QT for now.

There were many others.

Walking through the streets, I've seen dozens including Christie Brinkley, Goldie Hawn, Bill Bradley, Eliot Spitzer, Chuck Schumer, Jason Kidd, Christina Aquilera.
Alvin Tostig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:14 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COZICAN View Post
I actually touched Elvis........
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
Second base with a Royal well known in European classical music circles.

I guess you have COZICAN beat.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:16 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

When I was in grad school we did a one week residency in Washington, DC and as part of the program we met with US Congressman Dick Cheney, who had previously been President Ford's Chief of Staff at age 33 IIRC and later became Veep.

Also, I once sat across the aisle from US Senator Jim Jeffords on a flight from Burlington, VT to DC.... before he famously left the Republican party to become an Independent during the G.W. Bush administration.

My mom once ran into Muhammad Ali in a hotel gift shop in Florida... she said he was very gracious.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:18 AM   #16

hank williams jr / sara evans / Dierks Bentley / Almond Bros / Bill Cosby (A DICK Sorry) / Martina Mcbride / zz tops and many others Work the green room with SIL at our concert venue...
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:20 AM   #17

This quickly turned into another "what famous person have you met" threads, hehe!

Limiting my answer to CEOs, I worked at a fortune 500 headquarters location, and just joined, so didn't recognize the CEO on the treadmill next to me at the company gym. Struck up a conversation, just a regular guy. Didn't know it until the big quarterly meeting when he stood up to "do the numbers" that it was him.

But I found it true throughout my career...those that are successful at rising to the top of a big corporation often appear to be very nice people. Not that they are not genuinely nice, they could be, and probably are. I noticed at several megacorps that "the big boys" seemed as nice to the janitor as they were to their fellow executive suite mates. Not true in the smaller companies I've worked for. Many of those those guys seemed like self-important petty backstabbers. Smallish sample size, though.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:44 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

In the 1980's, I played golf with Flip Wilson and Dick Butkus (two different tournaments). Both nice guys, and Flip was really fun to be with. Dick was in pain the whole round (knees).

There's more, I'll have to think back.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:46 AM   #19

About five years ago my DH and I were dining with friends at the Ruth Chris Restaurant in Tampa. After being seated at a table, our waiter came over and started taking drink orders, and he seemed very animated and excited about something. He said "I need to warn you that the booth right next to your table is going to get very busy in about 20 minutes....George H.W. Bush is coming here for dinner."

Sure enough...in walked Mr. Bush with several other people around him, but just two of them sat down for dinner. We did not recognize the gentleman with him. The others stood around nearby.

Mr. Bush briefly looked our way, waved and said hello, and then seemed to enjoy his steak. It was pretty fun.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:11 AM   #20

Ross from Big Brother ( a couple weeks ago, shook hands)
Danny Devito
Jamie Lee Curtis
Steve Garvey
Micheal Cooper
Kim Fields
Larry Hagman ( I put mustard on his burger) He was walking around with a cane, because he had been "shot".
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote