Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2007, 05:05 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by greg View Post
Amusing and tautological for me and my little world:

How is margarine made? If you know the full details, you cannot possibly think that it is healthy. Yet many health experts still do.

Who in their right mind would eat this stuff if they knew its dirty little secret? Again, thru the efforts of gov't and the regular food industry we end up with--at best--partial knowledge. I smell something rancid shenanigans
You don't sense any bias, or dramatization in that article?

'These oils have already turned rancid' geez, wouldn't people just say - this stuff tastes bad, I'm not going to buy it? You don't seem to give people much credit.

'The oil is steam cleaned (again!) to remove the odor of chemicals. This step is called deodorization and it again involves high temperature and high pressure.' Oh my, heat and pressure, like grandma uses in her pressure cooker at home.

And this helps to prove one of my points. Science has since learned that trans-fats are bad for you. So, we are now labeling these and reducing them in our foods. Yep, it was probably a mistake to encourage margarine over butter, but we are correcting it, and I think that's a good thing.

At any rate, how much margarine is someone who is trying to maintain a healthy weight going to eat in a day? Goes back to my desire to eat a diverse range of foods, and lots of bulky, low-calorie ones.

But more importantly, are you going to share with us how you think we should reap the benefits of new technology if you are so risk adverse? Without that info, calling out every mistake that has been made is hollow. We have to weigh them against the progress that has been or could be made.

Air bags save lives, Air bags have hurt/killed some people. But, since the good far outweighs the bad, it would be irresponsible to call for the removal of air bags from all cars. And, industry has responded by making even safer air bags.

So tell us, how you are you going to do this?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2007, 05:11 PM   #182
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
you know, i heard some restaurants take the leftover butter you don't eat (like from the rolls, etc) and scrape it into a big pot for the sauces, like for eggs benedict....

since we're talking butter/marg - which is made from milk...

sometimes it's better not to know everything!

If i think of something clever to say, i'll put it here...
Old 10-05-2007, 05:12 PM   #183
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by greg View Post
As I previously said, I'm mildly worried about it all.
OK, there is obviously a relationship between toxins and health. And nerds have looked at the toxic burden in humans. I believe the highest burden came from flame retardants.

So, eat whatever you like, but stop wearing flannel PJs and stop sleeping on a mattress.

Everybody is exposed to some baseline badness, so my worry would be if my local environment was somehow worse than everywhere else. I would look at disease incidence in my area, and then start worrying if something looks out of whack. There are some interesting correlations with disease in more northern climates, for example. So, go outside and play in the sunshine....
Favorite ERF quote: "I'm not going to waste my time on someone who's more interested in being stubborn or obtuse or intolerant." -- Nords
Favorite ERF error message: "Sorry Nords is a moderator/admin and you are not allowed to ignore him or her."
Old 10-06-2007, 03:29 AM   #184
Full time employment: Posting here.
I think this line of threads has strayed so far from the original posters information request i'm surprised a moderator hasnt assigned it a separate post heading.
"Second star to the right and straight on till morning"
Old 10-06-2007, 10:24 AM   #185
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I think this line of threads has strayed so far from the original posters information request i'm surprised a moderator hasnt assigned it a separate post heading.
You're right. Let's take a break for a while and try a less contentious topic..

Closed Thread