Join Early Retirement Today

Who knows anything about pellet guns?
Old 07-14-2007, 07:59 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Who knows anything about pellet guns?

I'd like to grab a .22 pellet gun for plinking in the back yard....and maybe picking off a raccoon or two as they trash my trash

I used to own a .22 cal air rifle at one point...but I had to return it to the store because my neighbor complained so much (i owned it for 5 days...he was astonished by the power at 125 ft...it went thru both sides of a paint can so he talked my old man out of letting me keep it)

The best deal i can find, for the right price, seems to be the crosman quest 1000. 800 fps in the .22 model. i can snag one with a 4x32scope for 115 bucks

Any other suggestions on a nice .22 air rifle?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2007, 08:54 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Racoons are tough. In fact many animals have this thing about surviving as long as possible. When I was deleting our place of nutria and oppossum i would live trap them, dump them in a plastic trash can, and then stick the barrel of a 22 long rifle loaded with hollow points (that i also cross cut) in the can. The animals were good about sticking their faces directly into the muzzle end of the barrel, which meant they were dispatched quickly. Not sporting - I wasn't killing them for fun. Prior to that i had chased a young nutria around with a 22 air pistol and hit it maybe 6 times before killing it with a shovel. Druther do it quick. I suspect you would find that firing an air rifle is as legal or illegal as firing a regular rifle. Ruger 10-22 runs about $150 or so - subsonic rounds are supposed to be quieter, though I haven't tried them. I like my .45 reloads through my old Argentine clanker, though that reminds me - I need to source some springs for my 22 High Standard.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:55 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I had a great time with my Crosman .177 pellet/BB gun as a kid, but have no recent experience or recommendations (except to avoid shooting even near Mrs. Sykes's house, because the BB will find its way to to her living room window and it will cost you six weeks allowance to put things right and you'll have to go to her and explain what happened and apologize right there--but I digress) .

Based on the prices of the air guns at this web page (Air Rifles - 22 Cal Air and BB Rifles), the deal you've got lined up on the Crosman Quest looks about average.

And go easy on those raccoons--they are fun to watch!
Old 07-14-2007, 09:01 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I'd have a backup plan for when the pissed raccoon decides that you might be the source of the owie you just gave it. Takes quite a bit to take one of them out and I've seen what happens to people and rather large dogs when a coon takes a mild disliking to them...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dogracoon.jpg (3.1 KB, 120 views)
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:13 PM   #5

Growing up we had a Crosman .22cal pellet pistol for stray dogs/cats/possums etc. (we used to live right at the city limits, now we're about 3/4 of a mile INSIDE the city limits) One day my Dad decided it wasn't getting enough use and so he sold it.

I've also had a Daisy Powerline .177 cal pellet/BB rifle for close to 30 years, and it worked great for plinking, and for errant critters. However the local constables don't look favorably on use of air guns in residential areas, and if they see you use one or if they get a call about it, they'll grab hold of it and give you ticket.

So about a month ago I went out to the local farm store, and bought a nice Crosman CO2 BB pistol. It holds 15 BB's, launches 'em at about 700fps, and isn't near as obvious as my old Daisy rifle. The feral cat population has decreased considerably also.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:32 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I used to light bottle rockets and shoot them into the air with my pellet gun. Word of caution if you do this though, make sure the fuse is burned down enough that it doesn't light on it's downward arc.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webzter View Post
I used to light bottle rockets and shoot them into the air with my pellet gun. Word of caution if you do this though, make sure the fuse is burned down enough that it doesn't light on it's downward arc.
wow! now we're talkin! I looooove fireworks..... i cant wait to try this one...
Old 07-15-2007, 06:09 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
wow! now we're talkin! I looooove fireworks..... i cant wait to try this one...
works with "light anywhere" wood matches against plaster walls too. they light when they strike. --- and I didn't manage to burn down the world. yet.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
works with "light anywhere" wood matches against plaster walls too. they light when they strike. --- and I didn't manage to burn down the world. yet.
come on....are u kidding me? so i just put one in the barrell of the gun, cock it, and dry fire?
Old 07-15-2007, 11:01 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Would this same type of .22 pellet gun be sufficient for killing (or at least discouraging) full grown wild chicken who have a nasty habit of destroying my herb and lettuce garden, and than sh*t on my Lanai?

I have found that none of my 4 cats have any interest in the baby chicks much less the full grown variety.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:58 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
come on....are u kidding me? so i just put one in the barrell of the gun, cock it, and dry fire?
Nope. yup.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:08 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Would this same type of .22 pellet gun be sufficient for killing (or at least discouraging) full grown wild chicken who have a nasty habit of destroying my herb and lettuce garden, and than sh*t on my Lanai?

I have found that none of my 4 cats have any interest in the baby chicks much less the full grown variety.
Birds are less tough. A 22 pellet will discourage if not kill them, though it may take them a while to die. I used to knock down and kill aerial rats, pigeons, with a 22 air pistol until it dawned on me that if the PD went by while i was standing in the yard knocking them off the roof peak i might end up with a single shot air pistol vs John Law with all kinds of real firepower pointed at me. I don't like to have guns pointed at me.

If curious about whether a pellet gun will discourage something try shooting yourself in the hand or cheek or leg or stomach with it. Discouraging? Imagine the animal that gets to live for however long with that pellet imbedded in whatever portion of their body.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:14 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post

I haven't seen "strike anywhere" matches for sale in decades. Where do you find them?
Old 07-21-2007, 10:39 PM   #14

wellllll, i just ordered the quest 800 (.22 cal air rifle 800 fps) for 115 bucks, plus some ammo and targets.

im wasting time til it gets here with my $5 special slingshot
Old 07-29-2007, 11:56 AM   #15

this quest 800x is pretty nice. ive found 20 or so mods i can do to make it better and more accurate...pretty neat if u ask me!

overall, i think my shooting sucks...so i cant go blaming/changing the gun yet. long range target shooting can be humbling to say the least. 10 yards im good. 20 yards....eh, so so

30+ i suck! and supposedly i can get this thing zero'd in with the scope to about 50-60 yds!!!!!