Join Early Retirement Today

Who picked age 65?
Old 05-13-2004, 08:55 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Who picked age 65?

Have you ever wondered why age 65 was selected as the magic age for all of us to retire? *I had always thought that it was somehow associated with the enactment of Social Security legislation in 1935. *I recently came across information indicating that this is not necessarially so.

It seems as though in 1875 German Chancellor Otto Von Bismark is associated with pegging the retirement date to 65. *Bismark selected the age as 70 based on Biblical references to "threescore and 10". But when underlings pointed out that in 1875 the average life expectancy was 46, he lowered the retirement marker age to 65. *

FDR and the new deal legislation adopted the age 65 in 1935 based on the German experience. But they realized that the life expectancy at that time was 63, so they altered the law so that folks could retire at age 62 and pick up a lower retirement check from Social Security. Age 62 was thought to be the wholesale price and 65 the retail price of retirement.

This seems so simplistic that it could almost be accurate!

Have any of you heard of any other reason why age 65 was selected as the magic age that we are expected to hang 'um up?

:-/

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Who picked age 65?
Old 05-14-2004, 10:06 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Biblical reference is for the general life span limit, not a divine mandate for retirement age:

Quote:
The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away. *Psalms 90:10 KJV
Levites were told to retire from regular service at age 50:

Quote:
And from the age of fifty years they shall cease waiting upon the service thereof, and shall serve no more: Numbers 8:25 KJV
Social Security states that neither these numbers nor Bismarck had anything to do with their decision. *They say it was tradition in state and private plans, and an actuarially sound number at the time.

http://www.ssa.gov/history/age65.html
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 03:32 AM   #3

Wow, didn't realize I was following biblical
advice. Like the Levites, I opted to
"serve no more" at 50. Knowing what I know now
I'd have been gone a lot sooner.

John Galt
Old 05-15-2004, 06:27 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
. . .
. . .
Were these Levites also told to go out and make a brand of jeans? And was that before or after they retired from regular service?
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 01:48 PM   #5

Quote:
The Biblical reference is for the general life span limit, not a divine mandate for retirement age:

As far as trying to live your life 'exactly' as the Bible suggests, it reminded me of this letter sailing around in the internet. I find it hilarious

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's law. I have learned a great deal from you, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to best follow them.

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. How should I deal with this?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as it suggests in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

Lev. 25:44 states that I may buy slaves from the nations that are around us. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans but not Canadians. Can you clarify?

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 10:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

Lev. 20:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?
I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Old 05-15-2004, 01:54 PM   #6

Hey Cut_throat! Suggest you stick to the fly fishing
and leave the sarcasm to me

John Galt
Old 05-15-2004, 03:53 PM   #7

Great one Cut-Throat!
Bob_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 05:37 PM   #8

I thought it was pretty poor.

[b][Quote - "As far as trying to live your life 'exactly' as the Bible suggests, it reminded me of... "/b]

Maybe I missed it, even after repeated readings, but I could find no reference in this topic thread to anyone here attempting to push their views onto another to 'live their life exactly as the bible suggests'.

If I missed it, please point it out to me.

Old 05-15-2004, 07:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Maybe I missed it, even after repeated readings, but I could find no reference in this topic thread to anyone here attempting to push their views onto another to 'live their life exactly as the bible suggests'.

After repeated readings of my post I could find no reference of where I indicated that anyone HERE was attempting to push their views onto another to 'live their life exactly as the bible suggests' either.

Old 05-15-2004, 09:32 PM   #10

This thread was about age 65 and how it may have been chosen as retirement age. No one said anything about trying to live life exactly as the Bible suggests.

Until you did, out of the blue right here:

Quote:

As far as trying to live your life 'exactly' as the Bible suggests, it reminded me of this letter sailing around in the internet. I find it hilarious
To which you went on and posted your "letter", which was oh so hilarious.

So it appears that you were just dying to take a shot at the christian religion, and created your own "opening" to do so.

And your attempt at mocking me is just a smokescreen, easily seen through.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:55 PM   #11

As long as the thread has taken this interesting turn, I'd like to recommend a show I caught on the tube last week. I normally don't get Showtime, but I was travelling and found this as I was channel surfing at my hotel:

Penn & Teller vs The Bible

Don't miss it if you get the chance....
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 01:19 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Uh, one movie quote surges forward

"Lighten up, Francis".

I saw the flow...ages of retirement, vs age as stated in leviticus, the dr laura letter quoting leviticus repeatedly (although acknowledging that such quotes might be somewhat painful for the very, very religious) as a humorous item intended to inject some (cough) levity into the discussion.

Do we really need to carp further?

(cut-throat, I think you owe me slightly for the 'carp' reference) its the very best fish reference available to someone who when they last caught a fish turned and ran into the mainland until the poor fish was landlocked...about 37 years ago) By the way, this turned out to be a very effective method.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 05:31 AM   #13

Quote:

Quote:
And from the age of fifty years they shall cease waiting upon the service thereof, and shall serve no more: Numbers 8:25 KJV
Social Security states that neither these numbers nor Bismarck had anything to do with their decision. *They say it was tradition in state and private plans, and an actuarially sound number at the time.

http://www.ssa.gov/history/age65.html

Gee telly on top of being super sensitive, you must be blind also. The post by Michael quoted the bible first. BTW - I am a Christian. - And you need to lighten up!
Old 05-16-2004, 09:19 AM   #14

cut-throat,

Thank you about your concern for my vision. Although it is not as good as it once was, I am far from being blind at this time.

You continue to smokescreen. At issue was not who quoted the Bible first. It is this:

Quote:

Now, just mentally insert my last post here ---> .

Nothing has changed.

Thank you also for your concern about sensitivity. I'm not doing too bad myself. But speaking of sensitivity, I am reminded about the wailing post that someone named "Cut-Throat" posted over at the No Fee Retirement board some months ago. About how he felt unwelcome at the site, that it was too clubby, etc. etc. complain complain. And in response, many of the users pointed out that they had responded to his posts and didn't know what his issue was. But he packed up his marbles and broke camp over there. Surely that super sensitive person over there must have been some other fish lover named "Cut-Throat", right?
Old 05-16-2004, 09:48 AM   #15

telly,

obviously you seem to be the only one that cannot follow this thread.

TH had no trouble
Quote:
"Lighten up, Francis".

I saw the flow...ages of retirement, vs age as stated in leviticus, the dr laura letter quoting leviticus repeatedly
Just because you find no humor in what I posted does not make it unrelated. And since this is the "Other topics" forum, I could have started a new thread. Who appointed you the internet police anyway?

BTW - I found the other forum boring, with just a handful of posters mostly carrying out some vendetta against *****. Sensitivity had nothing to do with it. It was boredom. And now I am done with you and this thread as well - because it now has become boring.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:23 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

The real question is: if you wrote a book based on funny bible inconsistencies and elements incompatible with modern times, and you sold it and used the proceeds to pay off your mortgage, would an apparition then tell you the one true SWR? :P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:44 PM   #17

Quote:
No one said anything about trying to live life exactly as the Bible suggests. Until you did, out of the blue right here:
Not true! There were several biblical references, and the comments Cut-Throat submitted were not "out of the blue" in the least.

Quote:
So it appears that you were just dying to take a shot at the christian religion, and created your own "opening" to do so.
Bull! First, it's pretty clear to me that Cut-Throat displayed none of the evil intent you ascribe to him. Second, I am also a very strong believer in a Christian faith. Unfortunately, the term "Christian" has been hijacked by a grim, intolerant few who lack any sense of humor, and who have an agenda which frequently involves a vigorous attack upon anyone who challenges their narrow-minded viewpoint. They have ALL of the answers, and they're very good at shutting down any dissent. Anyone who stands up to this loud-mouth, obnoxious minority is doing the Christian faith a big favor, in my opinion. It's getting to the point where many Christians are ashamed to use the term "Christian". You are the one who injected poison into this thread, not Cut-Throat.

Quote:
And your attempt at mocking me is just a smokescreen, easily seen through.
Another false claim to bolster your argument. There was no mocking at all; just a very mild defense.

Quote:
...you went on and posted your "letter", which was oh so hilarious.
Your comment, however, is quite mocking. Yet you falsely accuse and criticize someone else for doing what you have no problem doing. What a crock! Your comments are demoralizing, condescending, arrogant, and insulting. If what you are representing here is Christianity, I want none of it.

I apologize to anyone who is offended by this. This guy just hit a nerve. I've seen the same crap in my community for several years and I'm sick of it.
Bob_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 08:03 PM   #18

For the record, I am a Christian of the Lutheran
persuasion and enjoy a good theological discussion,
even argument, with my like minded friends. However
I don't believe in pushing my views in this forum as
I believe it causes hard feelings and misunderstandings.
The same goes for politics. I think it would be wise for
all of us to just cool it and get back to other topics.

Regards,

Charlie
charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 08:42 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

How 'bout them Kings?
Old 05-17-2004, 05:03 AM   #20

Chuck-Lyn:
Agree with you wholeheartedly on your point about not talking religeon or politics. (Anybody that knows me understands the discussion of religeon is not in my personal line of topics.) Poster just made me a little nuts
TH: Apparantly you would rather talk about the Kings then listen to a theological diatribe. (I would too).
We now have to wait until Wednesday to have our hearts broken.
By the way on the last overtime game, the Kings as you know were down 14 points with 4 minutes to play. My wife couldn't stand it anymore, and went to bed. (I've created a monster over the years with her and sports. She gets really upset if things don't go her way )
In any case, after the Kings tied up the game, and were about to go into overtime, I went into the bedroom, and told her they were going into overtime. After listening to her tell me I was full of -hit, I turned on the bedroom TV and she was amazed I wasn't putting her on. (She still refused to watch the over-time, nerves shot).
The next morning, I was throwing my clubs into the trunk of my car, about to leave, and she came out to the garage with a cup of coffee in her hand. "How bad did they lose in overtime?"
She will be watching Wednesday, but only as long as the Kings have a comfortable lead.
Regards. Jarhead
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote