Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How often do you play golf?
Golf? What's golf? 10 22.73%
One or twice in my whole life. 9 20.45%
Once or twice a year. 6 13.64%
Once a month. 4 9.09%
Once a week. 7 15.91%
Twice or more a week. 8 18.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Who plays golf?
Old 07-03-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Who plays golf?

Just curious, how popular is golf among members here?
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2007, 04:51 PM   #2

Sam, I play. Not well, but often.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:14 PM   #3

Coach, I tried it once, years ago. For some reasons, it did not click with me. May be I should give it another try.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:30 PM   #4

Hi Sam. Well it clicked with me at 10 & it bit me hard. Must be the scot blood....Got out with youngest son at 5:30 today. You didn't have "Everyday" or "Obsessive/ Compulsive about it" listed, so 2 or more a week it is. _____ I just noticed I can have only 4 emotions per post....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien View Post
Hi Sam. Well it clicked with me at 10 & it bit me hard. Must be the scot blood....Got out with youngest son at 5:30 today. You didn't have "Everyday" or "Obsessive/ Compulsive about it" listed, so 2 or more a week it is.
I did not know that Scotland has something to do with golf. Or are you just pulling my leg?

Quote:
_____ I just noticed I can have only 4 emotions per post....
Are you going to create a poll to "democratically" determine how many emoticons one can have in a post? Count me out!
Old 07-03-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You didn't have "Everyday" or "Obsessive/ Compulsive about it" listed, so 2 or more a week it is.
Ditto. Got rained out today though.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:27 PM   #7

Hey guys, considering the cost of golf, I think 2 or more a week is obsessive/compulsive. How much do you guys (Dawg52 and DanTien) spend annually on this sport?
Old 07-03-2007, 06:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I did not know that Scotland has something to do with golf. Or are you just pulling my leg?

Are you going to create a poll to "democratically" determine how many emoticons one can have in a post? Count me out!
Sam, I promise not to pull your leg, if'n ya promise not to look up me kilts! Allow me to go on too long about this noble game -The name golf may have been derived from the old Scots verb " to gowff" meaning to "strike hard." The earliest known written detail on the subject of golf is from King James II in 1457 who demanded that "fute-ball and golfe be utterly cryed down and not to be used." The King was concerned that his citizens were so involved in leisurely pursuits that they were neglecting the Royal and vital sport of archery, which would protect him from the enemy. It took until 1502, in the reign of King James IV and a Treaty of Perpetual Peace (which didn't last!) with England's King Henry VII before the Scots were allowed to spare the time on such pursuits. King James IV himself played the game at Perth. Mary Queen of Scots was known to play a round or two and by the end of the 16th century it was noted that people were neglecting attendance at church in order to indulge in their favourite pastime.

Yes, a poll could be done, but I've sworn off polls. As far as post emotions - we should be allowed to have as many as we want at any given time. emotive limit reached
Old 07-03-2007, 06:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Hey guys, considering the cost of golf, I think 2 or more a week is obsessive/compulsive. How much do you guys (Dawg52 and DanTien) spend annually on this sport?
It's a bit less than what I would spend on heroin addiction

I play public courses, so its ALOT! cheaper than people that belong to country clubs and play Pebble & such...but then there's equipment, the long MN winter does keep it down. I have to admit I don't keep track - kinda like not worrying about how much a gift costs for a mistress.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:03 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Exactly $2,580 per year. I belong to a club and that includes unlimited number of rounds of golf per year, and storage cost/trail fees for my personal golf cart. Oh yes, that includes a nominal allowance for beverages and food.($15/mo) Actually my total cost is more than that as I occasionally play other courses, but who's counting?

Sooooooo, when anyone ask 'what do you do all day?'.............well the answer is obvious.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Exactly $2,580 per year. I belong to a club and that includes unlimited number of rounds of golf per year, and storage cost/trail fees for my personal golf cart. Oh yes, that includes a nominal allowance for beverages and food.($15/mo) Actually my total cost is more than that as I occasionally play other courses, but who's counting?

Sooooooo, when anyone ask 'what do you do all day?'.............well the answer is obvious.
that's a good deal Dawg..would encourage me to play more..
Old 07-03-2007, 09:32 PM   #12

Dawg, I've got a long way to match the guy I just read about in Golf Digest - guy from Minnesota! What? Not Arizona or Florida? - has the record for most rounds played in a year - 638!
Old 07-03-2007, 10:14 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

I play at least once a week. I played today, and will play again on Friday.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:25 PM   #14

Quote:
- kinda like not worrying about how much a gift costs for a mistress.
I don't know a single thing about this. Will report back once I get some experience.

Quote:
I bet the number's higher once you include equipments (clubs, shoes, and other acessories.)
Old 07-03-2007, 10:40 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I think Robin Williams nailed golf in one of his routines:

He has about a 40 second lead in which is worthwhile. Totally cracks me up - don't bother listening if the f bomb bugs you, but sounds pretty true to me.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:10 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
\\
I bet the number's higher once you include equipments (clubs, shoes, and other acessories.)
Personally, I'd spend three times that if I had too! I don't, but I would. I really love the sport, it is highly challenging and lots and lots of fun. Not only do I get 4 hours of walking done (just think of all that beneficial exercise!), I meet interesting new people almost every time I play. I can't imagine not playing at least a few times a month.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:42 AM   #17

Sam, I took up the game rather late -- at age 50. I'd always considered it an old man's sport. So once I became an old man.... It's too late a start for me to every be very good, I think, and when teenagers kick my butt in a round I sometimes wish I had started earlier.

You can pretty much pick your spending level. I play municipal and public courses. With a $300 annual "permit" here I pay $17 or $19 to walk 18. Admittedly I probably spend as much for beer and lunch after the round. I buy inexpensive equipment, spending perhaps $200 a year on that. I also play a few charity tournaments, so another few hundred dollars a year, for good causes.

It's a delightful way to spend 5 or 6 hours (public courses can be slow), outside, with friends. Golf is year-round here, with some pauses waiting for the snow to melt in the winter so, we're out in all seasons.

It might be worth giving it another try.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:54 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, but I don't buy new equipment every year. I might buy a new driver every 4-5 years but irons I keep quite sometime. I upgraded this year through retirement gift certificates. Golf balls, I buy slightly used online at about half the price. Christmas and birthdays, I always get golf balls or gift certificates so that really takes care of most of my extra expense.

But I don't play golf because it is cheap. I play it because I love it. Most hobbies cost money too. Hunters buy new guns, 4 wheelers, pay hunting dues etc.............
Old 07-04-2007, 07:04 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Dawg, I've got a long way to match the guy I just read about in Golf Digest - guy from Minnesota! What? Not Arizona or Florida? - has the record for most rounds played in a year - 638!
Thats incredible. I live in MS and can play pretty much year round. During the winter I can probably play an average of 2 rounds per week. The rest of year I will average 4-5 times per week. So that would work out to be around 190-200 rounds per year. I rarely play more than 18 per day.

So 200 rounds per year at $2,580 = $12.90/per round. Pretty cheap entertainment.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Thats incredible. I live in MS and can play pretty much year round. During the winter I can probably play an average of 2 rounds per week. The rest of year I will average 4-5 times per week. So that would work out to be around 190-200 rounds per year. I rarely play more than 18 per day.

So 200 rounds per year at $2,580 = $12.90/per round. Pretty cheap entertainment.
just back from the links - didn't burn it up but did have an exciting long chip-in that made me feel good about my game and life itself... good deal for you and the more you play the cheaper it gets...I figure this guy snowbirds it to Arizona...I did manage to play on Dec14 last year and spring is coming earlier every year, still I refuse to play when it's under 30. The balls get to cold and cuts down on distance.