Join Early Retirement Today

Who says they don't make good music anymore?
Old 04-16-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Who says they don't make good music anymore?

Challenge: find music released after 2000 you love (or even just like). Yeah, I know, these youngsters don't do music as good as back in the day

Get off my lawn you kids

First entry from 2006:

Note to Idol followers - see Haley's version of this in the Idol thread. Found it because of her

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Same song title but totally different.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The most recent song I can think of that I liked is "Sweet Dreams Are Made of This", but research reveals that I am 17 years off your target date. So, I'm stumped.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:37 PM   #5

Old 04-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
The most recent song I can think of that I liked is "Sweet Dreams Are Made of This", but research reveals that I am 17 years off your target date. So, I'm stumped.
Oh GregLee! I love me some Annie. You might just get into Adele. She's really something. This was released just last year...

Old 04-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #7

Mighty Mo Rodgers first album dropped in Oct 1999, close enough?

He grew up in his fathers nightclub, continued his education sneaking into blues clubs when the Chicago sound was new then launched his own career, mostly playing in chart topping bands. Left music, got a Ph.D. in Philosophy. Came back to music with all original material that he describes as 'metaphysical blues'.

Amateur video of nothing, over good quality from the album of his biggest hit "Blues is my Wailing Wall"

This page has the first 45 seconds or so of each of the cuts off his first album

Mighty Mo Rodgers : Discography : Blues Is My Wailin' Wall
Old 04-16-2011, 09:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Oh GregLee! I love me some Annie. You might just get into Adele.
Thanks for the recommendation, and I think Adele is very accomplished. So far as originality of style goes, though, she sounds an awful lot like Annie, to me.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:08 AM   #9

Here's something different than a singer belting something out (not that there's anything wrong w/ that) that's great and reflects someone really "going their own way" ..

Old 04-17-2011, 12:12 AM   #10

I do. At least not "as good" as it was yesterday. But I suppose that is what each generation says about current music.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:10 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
The most recent song I can think of that I liked is "Sweet Dreams Are Made of This".
I never liked the original of this song, but Marilyn Manson did a GREAT cover of it.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
Here's something different than a singer belting something out (not that there's anything wrong w/ that) that's great and reflects someone really "going their own way" ..
It's beautiful. A harp with a fret board! Who knew?
Old 04-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

This is a fun, but silly post. There is constantly new and good music being made...much of it not commercially successful, but good none the less. we just seem to remember the good stuff of any generation, but there was lots of bad too...its just the good survives. Listen to Radio Paradise for a more balanced playlist Radio Paradise - commercial free Internet radio - modern & classic rock, electronica, world music & more - picked & mixed by real humans.

Having said this...I'm taking my 14yr old son to see Rush perform 'Moving Pictures' from 1981! Not what I listen to anymore, but he's discovering progressive rock and that's fun. Plus as a drummer I love Neil Peart!
Old 04-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by e86s54 View Post
This is a fun, but silly post. There is constantly new and good music being made...much of it not commercially successful, but good none the less. we just seem to remember the good stuff of any generation, but there was lots of bad too...its just the good survives. Listen to Radio Paradise for a more balanced playlist Radio Paradise - commercial free Internet radio - modern & classic rock, electronica, world music & more - picked & mixed by real humans.

Having said this...I'm taking my 14yr old son to see Rush perform 'Moving Pictures' from 1981! Not what I listen to anymore, but he's discovering progressive rock and that's fun. Plus as a drummer I love Neil Peart!
They may have toned down in their old age, but when i went to see rush back when the earth was still cooling they were the loudest band i ever saw. some earplugs may be a prudent precaution..
Old 04-18-2011, 05:08 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
They may have toned down in their old age, but when i went to see rush back when the earth was still cooling they were the loudest band i ever saw. some earplugs may be a prudent precaution..
Earplugs!...you haven't heard me drum!