Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Who Shaves With A Safety Razor?
Old 02-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Who Shaves With A Safety Razor?

I found a coupon for $5 off a package of refills at the local warehouse store, and even so this thing would cost something like $40 for 16 razors.

Has anyone hated enough the cost of keeping their face or legs or wherever smooth that they've gone back to the safety razor? Has it been worth the learning curve?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2017, 04:22 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't use one, but have sold a couple of vintage razors on ebay. I found a seller who sold 40 or 50 new in package Gillette (made in India) double edge blades for around $10 or so. I bought them to include a 10 pack with each razor sold. The price was much better than buying 5 or 10 at CVS.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:28 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I do, or did anyway for a while before I got some of my old fav Shick Injector handles off ebay. Blades are still made but not the handles.

I still have my double edge Edwin Jagger, but I don't use it anymore.

They are both way better than the "multi-blade manglers" that are the fashion currently.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:57 PM   #4

I have a beard, so a cheap disposable razor, twice a week works fine. About $10 for a years supply. And the last can of shave cream lasted over a year!
Old 02-08-2017, 05:22 PM   #5

I use a disposable razor- during the summer anyway. Winter (even around here) gives me eczema so I use an electric razor then. My mom gave me a 4 blade razor she got at Dollar General and it is the bomb. My husband says its the best disposable razor he's ever used and they last a really long time, but are not cheap, even at DG.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:35 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Electric for me all the way. Haven't used a manual blade in many years. My old reliable triple head Norelco bit the dust a few months ago, so I decided to use a two AA battery operated twin head Norelco til I got a new one. I like the AA battery operated one so much that I just decide to use that as my only razor.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:47 PM   #7

I just use a beard trimmer... no need for a razor at all. skip the shaving lotion too.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:05 PM   #8

I messed about with safety razors for a while and gave it up. It was way more hassle than it was worth. I've still got a selection of blades and two handles. I went back to my 2 blade Gillette cartridge razor and a Panasonic foil electric.

One interesting trick that I picked up a few years ago was that you can strop the cartridge blades. Essentially, you run the cartridge backwards against your forearm using the handle. I got up to almost two years at one point with a cartridge before giving up and using a new one. There is some degradation over time even with the stropping but up to about 6 months or so (depending on how often you shave and your hair) there seems to be none for me.

This is the video that first told me about this technique -
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:21 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I have never used anything other than an electric razor for my face. To be honest, if someone gave me a razor and a can of shaving cream I wouldn't know what to do with it. I just never found a reason to deal with all of that.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:22 PM   #10

I switched from disposable razors to a Merkur safety razor about 5 years ago and haven't looked back. The replacement blades are cheap, and although it's not a whole lot of plastic, I feel good about throwing the occasional blunt metal blade away instead of the plastic disposable razors.

It's a simple, cheap, and elegant way to shave, in my opinion.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:24 PM   #11
Administrator

I use a straight razor. The only ongoing cost is a new disc of soap every few months, and a new badger brush every few years.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I have never used anything other than an electric razor for my face. To be honest, if someone gave me a razor and a can of shaving cream I wouldn't know what to do with it. I just never found a reason to deal with all of that.
I find that shaving with an electric is quicker and easier if I'm consistently shaving every or every other day. Beyond that the electric takes a lot more work to shave and do a good job. If I've let it go for 3/4 or more days then the blade does a quicker cleaner shave.
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:35 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I used an electric for years, dragging it over my face. Still have it.

I bought a 7 blade razor and 20 blades to go with it. for 1/2 price and free shipping from Dorco .

Then they had double razor with 30 blades go in sale for 1/2 price so I bought that too, just to try it out.

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server28...0.1280.jpg?c=2

Now I shave with the double blade one, unless I have cut myself too much the day before
It does take practice, but makes the shaving more exciting !!

They run sales often, so I find this is a good site: http://www.dorcousa.com/
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
It does take practice, but makes the shaving more exciting !!
Go with the straight for even more excitement.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:54 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Electric, Remington something something, augmented by the occasional skim over with a cheapo supremo twinblade. I do spring for the teflon strip version. [emoji41]

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:07 PM   #16

I second Dorco, learned on this forum. They supply Dollar Shave Club, so you can buy direct from the manufacturer for less as often as you want. My hair is fine, so I don't need to change blades as often.

I have a safety razor, but haven't gotten around to messing with it... yet.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I am 78, and my wife still cannot believe I never used a razor. I have used electric from the time I was old enough to shave
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:02 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I use either a safety razor or a straight razor - depending on how steady my hand is that day...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:09 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I am 78, and my wife still cannot believe I never used a razor. I have used electric from the time I was old enough to shave
I grew up living on an island with no electricity, so nobody used electric razors.
So I got to see my father using the straight razor on the back porch every morning shaving. My dad had a white "pencil" that stops bleeding quickly.

I would see my Uncle very often with little bits of kleenex stuck on the cut spots
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I grew up living on an island with no electricity, so nobody used electric razors.
So I got to see my father using the straight razor on the back porch every morning shaving. My dad had a white "pencil" that stops bleeding quickly.

I would see my Uncle very often with little bits of kleenex stuck on the cut spots
My dad had one of those pencils too. It was called a styptic pencil This is a short stick of medication. Anhydrous aluminium sulfate is the main ingredient and acts as a vasoconstrictor in order to disable blood flow. The stick is applied directly to the bleeding site
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote