Join Early Retirement Today

Who still sends Christmas cards?
Old 12-12-2018, 05:53 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Who still sends Christmas cards?

I saw the threads on tipping and Christmas season present giving, but it made me realize that we are getting fewer and fewer Christmas cards in the mail the last few seasons. Also, I believe we are sending fewer out each year.

We did get an electronic card from a family friend this week that kind of recapped their year together and it was very nice, plus had several photos that if you clicked on them, they enlarged. Plus, a reader could could send comments back.

What's your experience with Christmas/Holiday cards this year?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2018, 06:03 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I was working we'd send 50+ and receive 50+. Mostly co-workers. After 7 years of retirement we're down to less than 10.

Car-Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:08 PM   #3

We send a few and we get a few. I remember as a kid growing up my folks would get a bushel basket full of them at Christmas.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

DW just mailed out this year’s batch of about 20. We get about the same number in the mail. No electronic cards sent or received.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:11 PM   #5

So far we've gotten them from my Mom and two of my Aunts. So we'll be sending at least 3.

Actually we probably send out about 30, mostly to relatives.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:13 PM   #6

The numbers sent and received is definitely dwindling. DD mentioned the, for her, $.50 per mailed card might have something to do with it. However, just like on line shopping and as mentioned in the original post, electronic/internet is changing what we do.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:14 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Just thinking about this and realized we are both over 70 and have "lost" some family members and close friends. That, I'm sure is contributing to our slowly declining card sending and getting each year.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:16 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

One problem with emailed cards and invites. You may start receiving spam email from them. That happened recently and get 1 or 2 emails daily.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:51 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A handful.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:08 PM   #10

Large family so we send and receive over 100 cards. I really enjoy the newsletter cards. One relative is trying to get people to use Facebook but that's not going over well. I think we send 40 to friends (college, clubs). Most of these people don't live close so maybe that's why we send so many.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:19 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

We stopped sending them shortly after we retired way back in 1999!
Old 12-12-2018, 08:05 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

We still send about 20 a year.
Anna J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:05 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

We are going to do e-mail letters with photos this year for the first time. Save $$ and trees!
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:15 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

We only send cards back to people who send us one, and that number was down to about 20 these last few years. We just got a card today from a couple we met this last year, so I guess we are back up to 21 unless someone else stops sending us cards that has in the past.

Growing up my family used to have the big basket of Christmas cards, too, like probably 50+ cards sent and received every year.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:55 PM   #15

Very few these days, as old friends far away just seem to fade out and the older relatives are smaller in number with each passing year. The younger relatives don't care or just send a text message on Christmas Day. We used to keep a list of who got sent one and who sent one back; if they missed two years in a row we crossed them off.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:30 PM   #16

I stopped about 15 years ago.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:12 PM   #17

Just put 27 cards in the mail today. We may get that many, probably a few less. Some years I write a newsy letter but didn't this year. Most of the letters we receive are too damned long so I try to keep ours short when we do send them.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:25 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

We send annual cards to a few close friends. There is something special and intimate about a handwritten note to those who are special in your life. We like sending and receiving a few and will likely continue until we cannot.
TwoByFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:16 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
We send out about 20 photo cards, with iconic photos selected from the past year.
Since we don't post on FB, for many folks it is news to them when they see the photo.

I like getting photo cards, can see the new puppy, or how someone is growing up, or where they went for vacation.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:05 AM   #20

We have received one card. We do not send cards. I enjoy the ones we receive but it is really not necessary I think.

Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote