Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Who takes statins? Which ones?
Old 05-27-2005, 05:02 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Who takes statins? Which ones?

All my life I've avoided doctors. Last time I spent a night in the hospital was at birth. Prior to ER I went for a checkup. Weight was a bit high. BP and blood work was on the high end of normal.

Now the doc is calling me to come in wants me on statins and water pills. I figure that if I drop the 10 - 15 lbs. That should do it. DW says take the pills.

BUM
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Who takes statins? Which ones?
Old 05-27-2005, 05:13 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I lost weight, and went on an all vegetarian diet. Didn't do it. Some people's livers just produce too much cholesterol. Listen to your doctor. After you lose the weight, your blood tests will show if your cholesterol drops too low on the statins. Your doctor will take you off of them if that happens.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 05:31 AM   #3

My chloresterol is quite high and my BP is also high edge of normal
range. I don't want to start statins and I have a good excuse as
my liver function is way funky. Diet and exercise helped, but
what helped the most was the "wab diet", which I refer to a
modified "South Beach/Atkins". Avoid sugar, no fruit juices,
potatos, bread, rice or pasta. Dropped my total from 301 to 247 in 6 weeks. Now, 247 is still quite high, so I had a heart scan. Came back
100% dead solid perfect (and you thought I didn't have a heart)
I am not at all overweight and watch that closely also. It was
suggested that I start statins and then they would monitor my liver function closely. I also was prescribed "WelChol" which is not a statin but works in the digestive system. It was real expensive
so I didn't start that either. Soooooooo, I am continuing on the
"Wab diet", watching my weight and doing some walking.
That's about it. That heart scan took some of the pressure off.

JG

MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 06:30 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

For cholesterol-reducing supplements without resorting to prescription drugs I suggest plant sterols. Available over-the-counter, inexpensive, and found by the FDA to have a "significant" effect on cholesterol levels.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/ANS01033.html

In a year I've dropped my cholesterol thirty points or so by taking plant sterols, exercising, and eating a low-fat diet.

Ed
gratefuled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 07:19 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I would suggest that you read up as much as you can about statins.

Search the web for all the info you can find before making a decision.

Cholesterol is one indicator for potential heart problems, however, there are many other factors to consider. Family history, weight, smoking, etc.

When I spoke to my doctor he said that some people with high cholesterol form plaque and others don't.

John
Old 05-27-2005, 07:30 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

DW has family tendency to high blood pressure and high cholesterol. *Facts: Age 64, non-smoker, wt 135# *ht 5' 9" exercizes 3 times/wk and still had high bp and cho. *Dr put her on Zocor 40mg and cho went from 300 to under 200 and bp from over 155/? to 125/?. *

Zocor works for her.

BTW - Plant sterols suggestion from gratefuled sound interesting; I am already taking beta sitosterol (a plant sterol, 750 mg/day) that fixed my 'slow urine' problem but havent seen a reduction in cholesterol from it in two years use.

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 07:37 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you do have to take a drug, ask your doc about Lovastatin. It's a generic for Mevacor and does the job for me. Much cheaper than most and my health insurance co-pay for generics is $5. Without insurance the cost is about $38 for a months supply. Good luck!
Old 05-27-2005, 07:58 AM   #8

My doctor recommended flax seed because I started Lipitor and bad liver tests resulted. I can't tell you if flax works, but I should know as soon as the blood tests come in (about a week). I have sucked down flax seed in cereal, yogurt, and oatmeal, even salad. My usual cholestrol reading between 200-220. On Lipitor it dropped to 172 or so. Satins work if your liver can tolerate them.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 08:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
* Satins work if your liver can tolerate them.
My liver can barely tolerate what I do to it now
Please let us know if the flax seed works.

JG
Old 05-27-2005, 08:17 AM   #10

Speaking of health issues.......don't you just love it when you
suspect terminal blee-bli-bloatus and the person setting appointments says, " We might squeeze you in sometime in November." ?? More than once I told them "That's nice but I might be dead by then!" And, if you do get in they make you wait for the
test results. Why, the stress alone could kill you. Arghhhhhhhhhh!

JG
Old 05-27-2005, 08:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG50
If you do have to take a drug, ask your doc about Lovastatin. It's a generic for Mevacor and does the job for me. Much cheaper than most and my health insurance co-pay for generics is $5. Without insurance the cost is about $38 for a months supply. Good luck!
Yeah, I was gonna take the Welchol until I found out it was $150 a
month (generic). The Doc said it might lower my total 15 points.
Not worth it.

JG
Old 05-27-2005, 08:30 AM   #12

I have been taking Lipitor for about 4 years. My cholesterol was 247 and now is around 185. This is the only Rx I have ever taken that did exactly what it was supposed to do with no noticable side effects. I have good Rx coverage from my federal health insurance ($35 for 90 day supply) so cost is not an issue. I get my liver function tested twice a year; so far, no problems.

Grumpy
Old 05-27-2005, 08:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlw
I would suggest that you read up as much as you can about statins.

Search the web for all the info you can find before making a decision.

Cholesterol is one indicator for potential heart problems, however, there are many other factors to consider. Family history, weight, smoking, etc.

When I spoke to my doctor he said that some people with high cholesterol form plaque and others don't.

John
Hope I am not tempting the fates (doubt it......they have hit me pretty
hard already) *

One thing that made *me a bit more blase' about this issue was that
I could not recall a single person on either side of my family who ever
had a heart attack or stroke. *Not one. *There were a few that met
an early demise. *Something else got 'em.

JG
Old 05-27-2005, 08:58 AM   #14

Quote:
My doctor recommended flax seed because I started Lipitor and bad liver tests resulted.* I can't tell you if flax works, but I should know as soon as the blood tests come in (about a week).* I have sucked down flax seed in cereal, yogurt, and oatmeal, even salad.* My usual cholestrol reading between 200-220. On Lipitor it dropped to 172 or so.* Satins work if your liver can tolerate them.
And another thing

A friend suggested "red rice yeast" and got me all enthused as you don't
need a prescription. Claimed it worked well. I checked it out and it seems
that can cause liver trouble too. My liver doesn't need any more problems.
I'll bet they wouldn't even use it in the organ donor program. I know
I would send it back

JG
Old 05-27-2005, 09:50 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Plus I think the FDA is trying to ban red rice yeast.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 09:57 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My doctor recommended flax seed because I started Lipitor and bad liver tests resulted.* I can't tell you if flax works, but I should know as soon as the blood tests come in (about a week).* I have sucked down flax seed in cereal, yogurt, and oatmeal, even salad.* My usual cholestrol reading between 200-220. On Lipitor it dropped to 172 or so.* Satins work if your liver can tolerate them.
Please do give us your test results when they come back. I would love to use something natural if it works.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:20 AM   #17
Dryer sheet wannabe

eagle43 wrote

Quote:
My doctor recommended flax seed because I started Lipitor and bad liver tests resulted.* I can't tell you if flax works, but I should know as soon as the blood tests come in (about a week).* I have sucked down flax seed in cereal, yogurt, and oatmeal, even salad.
Make sure that you grind that flax seed* in order to reap the benefits that are claimed by ingesting flax seed.

http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxifi...t/flaxseed.htm

Quote:
If you prefer to use ground flaxseeds, just add 1 or 2 tablespoons of to an 8-ounce glass of water and mix. Flaxseeds have a pleasant, nutty flavor and taste good sprinkled on salads, cooked vegetables, or cereals.

I recommend you grind the seeds (or buy ground flaxseed) because whole seeds simply pass through the body. Grinding the seeds just before using them best preserves flavor and nutrition, but pre-ground seeds are more convenient. Keep them refrigerated. There are no nutritional differences between brown and yellow seeds.
I place a tablespoon of ground flax seed on my breakfast cereal and mix a tablespoon of ground flax seed with my lunch time yogurt.
ascenzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:22 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

The New Orleans solution is lots of garlic and onion. Doubt if it works for anything - but I've gotten use to it after thirty years.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 11:50 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Gee John, if Grumpy hadnt interrupted you, you'd have had almost the entire thread dedicated to ponderous musings.

My dad discovered something interesting. His doc kept telling him he had high BP and he wanted to put him on medication. So my dad got his own BP machine and noticed that it wasnt high at all. Next time at the doctors, high again. So he took his own machine with him to the hospital, and it was high with his machine.

Turns out his BP was only high when he went to the doctor. Showing his log of daily BP to the doc, the doc said "oh, then nevermind!".

Moral of the story is, sometimes you dont have to take medications that have side effects that are almost as bad or worse than what they're 'solving'.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 11:59 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I place a tablespoon of ground flax seed on my breakfast cereal and mix a tablespoon of ground flax seed with my lunch time yogurt.
Has this regimen affected your blood chemistry readings?

Ha