Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Whoa Geeze Wiz Ex Military Read this one.Drafty.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,119
Whoa Geeze Wiz Ex Military Read this one.Drafty.

Iraq war czar: Consider a draft - CNN.com

Uhoh.
__________________

__________________
newguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2007, 11:15 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
wildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lou-evil
Posts: 2,025
Is there a purpose to the daily links you provide us with? Any insight other than just a quick "whoa" or "wow"? Some news to discuss is fine but I am not sure we all want the headlines of the hour from CNN or the front page commentary of the NY Times every day.
__________________

__________________
"These walls are kind of funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, gets so you depend on them"
wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Just get a live feed that mixes CNN and national enquirer headlines, a piece of script that inserts a few single word commentaries, and a random number of exclamation points.

Then newguy/booboobear can retire, but still feel like his voice is being heard and all that value is still being added...
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 886
I used to think a two year mandatory military service should be implemented in the States, but with such a violent society already, I've since decided against it. Instead of people "going postal", you'd have disgruntled conscripted military people with access to machine guns and hand grenades "going soldier" and murdering entire platoons. Not a good idea!
__________________

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Just get a live feed that mixes CNN and national enquirer headlines, a piece of script that inserts a few single word commentaries, and a random number of exclamation points.
Then newguy/booboobear can retire, but still feel like his voice is being heard and all that value is still being added...
Andy, can the "Ignore Poster" feature be expanded to blank out the thread titles as well?

Or can we add words like "gold bugs", "Plunge Protection Team", and "draft" to the censored list alongside *****?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
I used to think a two year mandatory military service should be implemented in the States, but with such a violent society already, I've since decided against it. Instead of people "going postal", you'd have disgruntled conscripted military people with access to machine guns and hand grenades "going soldier" and murdering entire platoons. Not a good idea!
If that was the case then the armed forces would be running out of flag officers at a frightening pace. (If you give me more time then I'm sure I'll be able to articulate the downside to that situation.) But I think exactly the opposite might be true. If those stupid $%&^wads of drivers that just cut you off happened to be disgruntled conscripts with training & access, would you be likely to confront them? If everyone had a concealed carry permit, wouldn't everyone go to just a bit more effort to be polite?

What's Estonia's conscription policy these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
Is there a purpose to the daily links you provide us with? Any insight other than just a quick "whoa" or "wow"? Some news to discuss is fine but I am not sure we all want the headlines of the hour from CNN or the front page commentary of the NY Times every day.
Good luck with this one, Wildcat. Any contrition or promises to change will only be made because you're a moderator, not because there's an actual commitment to change. (Not that this ever happened to me.) I'm learning from Marshall Goldsmith that the only way to bring about a behavioral change is to appeal to the miscreant's self-interest... it certainly can't be done through money, power, status, or popularity.
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:33 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
If everyone had a concealed carry permit, wouldn't everyone go to just a bit more effort to be polite?
Arrogant, hot-headed, 20 year olds running around with concealed guns sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Arrogant, hot-headed, 40 year olds sounds even worse.
__________________
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:10 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,119
Lets see is what you guys want a bland forum talking about your Surfing Nords and your trips looking for a school for your daughter to go to? Is it that I do not follow what YOU seem to say should be posted here? Heck you stepped away from the moderators chair. Do yourself a favor keep the ignor post on me. It is a free country. I guess it might be time to leave the forum. Many of you who attack what I have to say are just well odd. I guess you have the right to disagree with what I post and hey if I paste a headline with a wow or whoa and you do not like what it says why respond. You guys really do sound like the guy who would chase the kids from the front of your house because the ball went on your anal retentive lawn.

Grow up Nords and others who sound like him, this is not middle school anymore. Or is it.

Good Bye.
__________________
newguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:13 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
Is there a purpose to the daily links you provide us with? Any insight other than just a quick "whoa" or "wow"? Some news to discuss is fine but I am not sure we all want the headlines of the hour from CNN or the front page commentary of the NY Times every day.
I thought that a general who was hand picked by the president is talking about a draft and NOT Charles Rangle might have been an interesting discussion especially from the majority of you ex military types. Oh most of you Joined. Excuse me.
__________________
newguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:34 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
wildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lou-evil
Posts: 2,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
Lets see is what you guys want a bland forum talking about your Surfing Nords and your trips looking for a school for your daughter to go to? Is it that I do not follow what YOU seem to say should be posted here? Heck you stepped away from the moderators chair. Do yourself a favor keep the ignor post on me. It is a free country. I guess it might be time to leave the forum. Many of you who attack what I have to say are just well odd. I guess you have the right to disagree with what I post and hey if I paste a headline with a wow or whoa and you do not like what it says why respond. You guys really do sound like the guy who would chase the kids from the front of your house because the ball went on your anal retentive lawn.

Grow up Nords and others who sound like him, this is not middle school anymore. Or is it.

Good Bye.
The problem I have with your posts is that you post these headlines from your selected media sources, provide little insight as to what the article says or your opinion of it, choose "touchy" or "meant to scare" subjects most of the time, posts the links daily and unfortunately a member who rarely visits or is new chooses to respond, feeding the fire so to speak.

You have offended others in the past with your wording and your "chase my link" threads can get annoying after a while, especially when there are several in a day or within two days. I really don't read any of them but when they constantly pop up each day, often pounding the same drum, it gets a little old. In fact, it really starts to look more like trolling.

You have posted some good threads that a lot people have liked but it is far and few between.
__________________
"These walls are kind of funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, gets so you depend on them"
wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:01 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
Lets see is what you guys want a bland forum
Well, I was thinking something more like an interesting forum where we talk about early retirement, investing, and how our lives are going. Pretty ****ing far from a blowhole spouting sensationalist headlines that have little or nothing to do with those.

Do you have anything interesting to say on the topics related to the board?'

Or are you only interested in giving me competition for "most ignored poster"? Bad news: I think at this point MKLD has probably locked up the position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
the only way to bring about a behavioral change is to appeal to the miscreant's self-interest
Or shoot them in the face. That brings about a quite pleasing behavioral change.
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:37 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
The problem I have with your posts is that you post these headlines from your selected media sources, provide little insight as to what the article says or your opinion of it, choose "touchy" or "meant to scare" subjects most of the time, posts the links daily and unfortunately a member who rarely visits or is new chooses to respond, feeding the fire so to speak.

You have offended others in the past with your wording and your "chase my link" threads can get annoying after a while, especially when there are several in a day or within two days. I really don't read any of them but when they constantly pop up each day, often pounding the same drum, it gets a little old. In fact, it really starts to look more like trolling.

You have posted some good threads that a lot people have liked but it is far and few between.
Eh, my sentiments exactly. It's hard to ignore 'em when you guys quote them. But if you didn't quote them then they'd just edit their posts to appear normal again. Have you guys looked through the old moderator threads for the keyword "Newguy" yet?

I have to admit that Newguy raises an interesting point. Al, Ronin, I, and the other surfers put our surf comments in that one thread because we can pull it up with a search when we have something to say. People know what it's about and they don't have to read it unless they want to.

Maybe you could have Newguy post his rants to a single thread that he can keep adding to as much as he wants (which will no doubt make him feel better) and the rest of us can ignore him unless we want to read that sort of stuff. For example Newguy uses the word "draft" more than just about any other user, although it's possible that someone else may have a similar bug up their bloomers.

As for whether or not this is middle school, Newguy, I'll defer to your area of occupational expertise-- not that you seem to feel obligated to do the same.

"Goodbye"?!? C'mon, even OAP does his exit lines better than that. Of course he's uttered them a few more times than you have, but not many. You keep saying that you're gonna leave and you keep coming back-- stop teasing us.
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:47 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
I think he meant "goodbye" to you, not the board.

Its obvious he has nothing on topic to say, so he throws these headlines out in some pathetic attempt to get attention.

Think of it as the middle aged mans version of a purple streak on his head.

At least (oh for crying out loud did we add h-o-s-u-c to the curse words on top of h--o--c--u--s?) gives you fifteen moderately worthy paragraphs of attention grabbing material per post.
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:54 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Its obvious he has nothing on topic to say, so he throws these headlines out in some pathetic attempt to get attention.
Think of it as the middle aged mans version of a purple streak on his head.
Or, in other words, he's trolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
At least (oh for crying out loud did we add h-o-s-u-c to the curse words on top of h--o--c--u--s?) gives you fifteen moderately worthy paragraphs of attention grabbing material per post.
I think "h0cus" is still OK, although you could always file an appeal with the moderators! I'm just glad that we no longer have the 5000-word limit on posting length.

But you raise another interesting point. Maybe he'd be welcome over at Greaney's board, where he & h0cus could both demonstrate the dangerous consequences of misdirected ERs...
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:06 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Nah, theres no symmetry there. I obviously know how to play h0suc and he's a very complex beast. He actually can get a good range of people going on a topic and play to their points.

This ones a simple attention grabber with no actual skill in generating original content that plays the "high school/middle school" string when backed into a corner. Kinda pathetic actually.
__________________

__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Military Health Care FinallyRetired Health and Early Retirement 37 03-20-2008 12:19 AM
Nords someone ex military Read This! newguy88 Other topics 41 05-11-2007 06:25 PM
US Military Invades Pattaya... Lancelot Other topics 24 06-07-2006 09:49 PM
Military pay (ECI) vs military retiree pay (CPI) Nords Other topics 0 11-05-2005 11:51 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:07 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.