Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Whoe here uses a handyman to do work around the house?
Old 08-25-2006, 08:51 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
I paid approx $1000 a few months ago. I don't have the paperwork here, but my pump was much less expensive than what you guys paid (now I'm worried!). My well is 200' deep (water level is just 50' below grade), I didn't buy new wire, and (so far) everything is okay. They guy who put it in is the same guy who put in the last one at this house 20 years ago.
You probably don't need to worry. Not sure how deep your pump is set, but based on the depth of your well and water level, I'm guessing it is around 150'. Compared to Ha's 330' and my 500', your pump doesn't need to be nearly as powerful and should cost much less. (BTW, my well is 820' deep and the water level is around 400'.)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2006, 03:12 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well (pun intended), my breakdown is as follows

800 labor to drill 15 extra feet down and 'clean up' the 10 feet before that...I forget what they called it. Also to install new pump

650 Gould submersible
75- misc parts to relocate my tank

fry my well was 80 ft deep, and is now 95 ft
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 03:38 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed

800 labor to drill 15 extra feet down and 'clean up' the 10 feet before that...I forget what they called it. Also to install new pump

650 Gould submersible
75- misc parts to relocate my tank

fry my well was 80 ft deep, and is now 95 ft
Did they talk about cleaning out the "rathole", the area below the well perforations? Alot of times formation will slough off and partiall plug off the screen and after time might need to be cleaned out.

As for the sub cable (if you replace it), remember to have them save your old cable so that you can take it to a recycler, it should be worth some pretty good cash (the copper that is). Perhaps you should have your sub cable megged out to see if it even need replacing, however many times it gets damaged when pulling and can save labor time to just replace it with new anyway. Lots of things to weigh prior to pullng the thing.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:48 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Do any of you employ a handyman for stuff around the house you are incapable of or too lazy to do? What kinds of projects do they do for you and what do they charge?Yes, I employ one. He also freelances as my husband.

When I started doing RE rehabs many people told me that I will have a very hard time finding and dealing with contractors (may be because I am a femaile, may be because I look 15 yrs old or may be because I don't know anything about rehabbing). I thought that all I have to do is turn on my womanly charm and things will be peachy. I was very naive. I spend hours and hours and hours waiting for contractors who never showed up. I had to track them down to finish the job, or find others who would finish a job started by somebody else.

I was amazed. It seemed that they didn't even care about money or their reputation. Sometimes they would just disappear or take forever to do something really simple.

After talking to people in my RE investment club I found out that I am not that special. It wasn't because I am a female or anything else. It's just how many of them are. And unless you can keep someone working for you full time, it's very hard to find a reliable contractor.

As hard as it was to find a guy for a big job, it was 100 times harder to find someone to do a small one.

Lena
Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:43 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed

When they deepened your well, how did they get casing down there? It doesn't sem like it would be possible.

Ha
Old 08-28-2006, 11:58 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
When they deepened your well, how did they get casing down there? It doesn't sem like it would be possible.

Ha
Sometimes casing is run to TD (total depth) and some formation over time sloughts off throught the screening (perforations, if you will). They probably just bailed out the fill. If they did deepen it (past the bottom point of the casing) and were in a rock formation they probably wouldn't have cased the deepened portion unless they ran a casing liner.

Believe me, after having worked in the oil patch for 25 years there is next to nothing that can't be accomplished if you're willing to throw throw the money at it.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:45 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
Sometimes casing is run to TD (total depth) and some formation over time sloughts off throught the screening (perforations, if you will). They probably just bailed out the fill. If they did deepen it (past the bottom point of the casing) and were in a rock formation they probably wouldn't have cased the deepened portion unless they ran a casing liner.

Believe me, after having worked in the oil patch for 25 years there is next to nothing that can't be accomplished if you're willing to throw throw the money at it.
That's what they did, bail it out. I think he explained that very situation, where the sludge built up. I THOUGHT they went further, too, but i may be wrong.
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote