Join Early Retirement Today

Whooda thunk it?
Old 07-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Whooda thunk it?

This article caught my eye today...$6 billion industry ? Go P&G stock !!!

Why toilet paper belongs to America - CNN.com

from the article "After Johnny Carson joked on TV about toilet paper shortage, people bought out stores"
http://thelongestlistofthelongeststu.../trivia74.html

Remember that craziness?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I don't care if it is enthocentric and I am a programmed consumer.

My thumbnail measure of civilization (having lived in some odd places) is the availability of TP.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:26 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Interesting article. Who could ever forget Mr. Whipple?
Old 07-08-2009, 05:38 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
My thumbnail measure of civilization (having lived in some odd places) is the availability of TP.
I'm a city girl and more demanding. TP with an outhouse doesn't do it for me - - gotta have TP *and* flush toilets connected to a working sewage system for me to call it civilization.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:53 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
This article caught my eye today...$6 billion industry ? Go P&G stock !!!
One of the reasons Buffett likes Gillette (now a part of P&G) is because every day a billion guys need to shave something. And now P&G is taking the same approach to toilet paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
people bought out stores"
Remember that craziness?
*snort* Every time the longshoremen start muttering about a strike, and every time the hurricane gets within 48 hours, the 50-pound rice bags and pallets of toilet paper start flying out of the stores. It's amazing how much toilet paper can be hidden on an island.

My first submarine used to regularly patrol 90 days without restocking. The crew kinda expects that there'll be adequate toilet paper aboard but no one really wants to have to store a half-dozen pallets of the rolls in their stowage lockers. (Yet everyone was willing to store the cans of cookies. Go figure.) The Weapons Officer, who for some reason owned toilet paper, would have a difficult time finding a place for it.

Then one day, as the crane dropped the usual loadout of toilet paper pallets on the pier, he had a flash of inspiration. He mentioned to another officer in front of a crowd that he felt lucky they'd been able to get this much toilet paper since it would only last for 70 days and there wasn't any more in the supply system. They agreed that sure was a problem and wandered off, leaving the pallets unguarded on the pier while the rumor spread.

Of course by the next morning the pallets were empty. I think every crewmember had at least one personal roll tucked away in their seabag. We got underway and the Weps had a smile on his face for weeks. Around day 50, once his lockers were empty, he explained his deception and offered toilet-paper amnesty if they'd return it to his locker.

The next morning when he got off watch, he headed to his stateroom and pulled back his rack curtain to climb in for some hard-earned sleep. That's when he discovered that the crew had stuffed at least half of the remaining rolls into his rack-- six feet long, two feet high, 28" deep-- and duct-taped them together so that they wouldn't fall out.

For months after that patrol, every new crewmember looking for toilet paper was told to go ask the Weps...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I consider PG a core holding no matter WHAT the economy does. A couple years ago, I wandered around my house and found 16 products we use made by PG, that was stunning........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:18 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The most common solution was simply to grab what was at hand: coconuts, shells.... You have got to be kidding me!

I don't remember the tp shortage in 1973, but I can assure you I did not use coconuts or shells....

btw...I love my P&G.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here in the frozen north, our outhouses were stocked with old Eaton's Catalogues. I once heard that the southern US used corn cobs for the same purpose.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

For anyone who has romantic ideas about being a citizen of the ancient world...
"Ancient Greeks used clay, stone...
Romans, sponges and salt water as toilet paper"

Ouchie wouchie!
Old 07-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Here in the frozen north, our outhouses were stocked with old Eaton's Catalogues. I once heard that the southern US used corn cobs for the same purpose.
Yep - at least that's what was used once the Sears & Roebuck Catalog was wiped out depleted.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I think one of our forum members grew up with corn cobs! Use the search function to verify this if you like.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:38 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
I remember my grandparents' outhouse being connected to their "cobhouse". I always thought the corn cobs were for heating the main house. Now I'm not so sure.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:17 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

One set of my grandparents lived beyond rural electrfication when I was a boy. As best I know they lived on tiny SS and farm income from eggs, butter, milk, wool, and a summer roadside stand, often manned by me. Corn cobs were it, but as I remember I really took no notice of that as a kid when I stayed there. One of my favorite things was that at night it got dark. Just a little very yellow light from kerosene lanterns.

Today, I believe the ability to stay really clean all the time is one of the nicest things about a first world life. True at least if you are not homeless.

Ha
Old 07-09-2009, 10:25 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I grew up in a house with no indoor plumbin'. Back in the old country.

The outhouse was well ventilated. Not much fun in the winter. Newspapers got second use. It was always a pleasure to select the party official's face to be the prime focus for cleaning.

In the winter time, used to light off one sheet of newspaper, throw it down the hole, to warm the seat somewhat. Funny, never had a methane explosion.
Two five gallon buckets served as water holders, which we lugged from the community well. One way to keep up with the neighborhood news an' gossip.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:47 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I'm a city girl and more demanding. TP with an outhouse doesn't do it for me - - gotta have TP *and* flush toilets connected to a working sewage system for me to call it civilization.
You've just hit on the primary reason my wife won't go camping. The other reason is the bugs.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
You've just hit on the primary reason my wife won't go camping. The other reason is the bugs.
Your wife is obviously a sensible, superior, brilliant woman! Frank wants to go camping in the Ozarks once we move there, and I am already dragging my feet about that. Maybe I can convince him to camp in the back yard.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Your wife is obviously a sensible, superior, brilliant woman! Frank wants to go camping in the Ozarks once we move there, and I am already dragging my feet about that. Maybe I can convince him to camp in the back yard.
Tell Frank to let you know when he comes up with a "camper" like the one Rich has.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I don't mind bugs or the lack of toilet facilities. What I don't like is the rock that follows me from campsite to campsite and pokes me in the middle of my back....
Old 07-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

TP may be the greatest US invention ever.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:27 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Your wife is obviously a sensible, superior, brilliant woman!
As is mine, W2R, for this and many other reasons.