Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-14-2007, 08:23 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I do have my moments. Last weekend I was at an afterhours hip-hop dance. I very pretty woman maybe 20 or so came over to me and said, "You are the first old man that I have ever seen at our parties. Would you like to dance with me?"
You old hound you...........sometimes the "old dog" rules.........

Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2007, 10:50 AM   #22
Alright Ha, now that's a picture I'd really like to see! Good job!

Southern women cook. period. I remember visiting my (then future) mother in law's house at Christmas when DH and I were dating and he said that if he ever found someone who could make a pie like his mom's coconut pie, he'd marry them! Boy, you never saw someone whip out a pad and a pen to give me the recipe as his momma did!

And the recipe? 6 eggs, a stick of butter, a cup of sugar and a bag of sweetened coconut flakes in a pie shell! Good lord! I'd kill him for sure with it now!

I cook staple meals, healthy and lots of vegetables. I have lots and lots of cookbooks (you get them as wedding gifts in the south--more stereotyping) and I do go there for inspiration lots of times. I don't do a lot of elaborate meal prep, mostly because of time constraints. We love to eat out, but it's hard to watch the waist when you do that too often.

I have good appetizer recipes that get a lot of use when we have parties. Hot crab dip is one of my favorites and not too fussy. I like doing picnic fare as well--something to take on a hike or boat ride.

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:57 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...
DW and I are both into cooking, but I cook 90% of the time. One reason: we use a system in which one person cooks, and the other cleans up. Apparently DW dislikes cleaning up less than I do.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:09 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...
i bat cleanup. Except for posole. and gravy. and blue cheese dressing. Dutch Babies. and a few other card-up-the-sleeve skills. When the honey is doing Mom visits i'm on my own hook and highly dependent on the kindness of a good neighbor and heat Costco frozen food a bunch - tend to lose a little weight.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:49 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DW and I are on such different type diets that we each cook for ourselves. I have found that low-carb works best for me, not just for weight control but to minimize digestive problems. I typically throw a steak or salmon or chicken on the George Foreman grill and have a salad with it. DW does her low fat, Weight Watcher point counting thing. We each do our own cleanup. Works for us.

grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:39 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.
It's either me....or my favorite restaurant!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:42 PM   #27
I did the cooking for my family. I always had an image of pleasing my family with my cooking but I don't think I ever really reached that goal completely. My daughter became a vegan (no meat, eggs, dairy) and I slipped into letting her find her own food. My husband always had a comment about my meals, usually slightly negative so trying to please them was a goal that I don't really think I ever reached. I have sooo many cookbooks that I'm gradually weeding out. I think I collected cookbooks thinking that SOMEDAY I would find something that my husband would really really really like.

My husband made chile once or twice a year...and of course I always commented on how GOOD it was. (it was good)
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:48 PM   #28
I do the majority of the cooking, grocery shopping, and meal planning, but DH is really good at cooking eggs and grilling. I tend to get in phases where I'll cook a lot for a while, get burned out on it, and then not be in the mood to cook again for several weeks. Thankfully, we both are happy during those times eating simply - soup and sandwich, refried beans with multiple toppings, or frozen meals when needed.

I actually really love to cook but my love for it wanes when I have too many other things going on.

simple girl
less stuff, more time

(48, married; DH 52. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH will fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote