Join Early Retirement Today
Who's done with their Christmas shopping?
Old 11-18-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Who's done with their Christmas shopping?

My SIL and Sister were discussing how they need to get going on their Christmas shopping - I pick up gifts throughout the year during my various travels, so there is no pain shopping this time of year! Wooohooo! They are getting good souvenirs from Germany, Newport, RI, Virginia, and DC. NO MALLS for me!

One bummer this season - we had a minor flood in the basement, and my holiday cards (5 boxes of the good funny ones!) got all wet & moldy - I usually pick these up on clearance after the holidays, so will have to suck it up and buy regular cheapos. Also lost a couple puzzles that were in the box of "gifts"

Make no mistake, my friend, it takes more than money to make men rich. - A. P. Gouthey
Fireup2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
I am done with my Christmas shopping too. Because of the poor economy, several family members have requested money this year, which made things easier for me. Not many frivolous gift requests this year either, mostly practical things (clothes, cleaning appliances, and even a new set of tires).

42 y/o, married, retirement portfolio = 43 x annual expenses
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
X-mas shopping isusually done by X-mas morning..........
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...
We already did our big xmas present - a new Sealy 3" pillowtop CA King mattress. The end of an era - I gave up my waterbed.
I suggested to dh2b that instead of buying each other gifts, we give our housecleaner a really BIG xmas bonus so she can get nice stuff for her 2 young boys. He thought that was a great idea.
We are therefore limiting our to-each-other gift budget to under $100 per person.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
Itīs a bit early around here for that kind of shopping. In any i only have to buy a couple of gifts. My son will get money. He is over-clothed and I donīt dare buy him anything else. Very particular about his hobbies.
I get by with a little help from my friends....ta ta ta ta ta...
vicente solano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
My nieces were born December 1st so it was easy to send out the package with all the Christmas gifts too. And since I was at FedEx, I sent my parents box so I am done. Most of my friends just exchange donations to charities at this point.
Angels danced on the day that you were born.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
The first week of December I place a bunch of orders with online retailers for mostly food items. I plan to shop at a small store near my office for gifts for a handful of co-workers this week-end. I know my friends like the items in this store, and the owner and her staff will wrap everything very nicely while I nibble cookies and sip wine(this store is having a holiday open house for just this purpose on Saturday). I will send my son a check. Done.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...
I went to Toys r us last week and shopped for all the grandchildren . I shopped for the rest of my family online so I'm almost finished . I also have a great gift shop I have to hit next week for a few special items .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #9
All done. I adopted a Salvation Army Angel on (17-year old girl) and the order is being shipped directly to our local Salvation Army. It's much easier to shop for the little ones but I took on the challenge of a teenager. I hope she likes what I bought her. Very tough. They need to set up the program like a wedding registry. I would much rather have her tell me exactly what she wanted than just getting "size 11, jeans."
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:52 PM   #10
I'm done already! Of course we're not exchanging gifts this year, so I didn't even need to start this year either!

We decided to just spend money on trips and meals, and things like that. We don't want or need more 'stuff' of any sort! Plus we'll 'up' our contributions to charity also.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:39 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Last year since my people were out of town during the holidays, I waited until January to send them (1/2 price) gift baskets. Seems a good plan again this year, don't want them to think I'm early on anything except ER.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:01 AM   #12
There's not much, other than DW. The rest of us have agreed that we don't need more "stuff".

I wait until after Thanksgiving to buy something for her. Otherwise it's too hard to keep the secret from her longer than that.
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:01 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.
My holiday shopping is really easy. SO and I got both our families to agree, several years ago, to stop exchanging gifts. He and I exchange just small, fairly predictable gifts - calendars, books, etc. I sometimes also exchange small gifts with one or two friends, and that's the extent of it. It makes the holidays so much more pleasant for us.

ksr is offline   Reply With Quote