Join Early Retirement Today

who's into podcasts? Favorites?
Old 09-11-2008, 06:36 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

who's into podcasts? Favorites?

I've had a 20G iPod for 5 years (going-away gift from bus. partners). It never attracted my interest all that much.. I put a couple of CDs on it, but don't have a desire to listen to music when I am out and about, so it languished. Then talking with my sister about how she likes to listen to rightwing talk radio on the computer, I got the brilliant idea that she might like an iPod so she is not stuck in one place. So that's what I'm sending her... one of the tiny shuffle ones for now so she can download her shows and go. [And how great of a sister am I enabling her to listen to Laura Ingraham to her heart's content, huh??] I wanted to make sure she'd like this as a gift, and she said "it'd be like having a maid!!" since she could now do boring housework and listen at the same time.

So today I popped in a couple of shows myself.. and I got the fridge cleaned. Pretty awesome. Started off with Bill Moyers and this segment is just excellent:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...6&id=161038776

Andrew J. Bacevich.. really good on the whole political system and foreign policy. [Vietnam vet, conservative, son killed in Iraq, so you have NO excuse not to listen!!!] I would vote for HIM for president! ;-)

----
I'm sure it'll take me a while to explore the universe of podcasts.. so in the meantime, is there anyone who subscribes to audio podcasts regularly? And if so, "what's on your iPod?" (besides music tracks..)
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2008, 06:57 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Update every day!
Dave Ramsey
NPR Story of the Day
NPR Business Story of the Day
Amateur Traveler
The Onion
Wall Street Journal Your Money Matters
Wall Street Journal What's News
Vanguard Plain Talk
Brian Preston's The Money Guy
On the Money with Steve Pomeranz
Slate Explainer Podcast
Indie Travel Podcast
Fitness Rocks

Couldn't live without the iPod, not even for a day! I haven't had to listen to a radio station in over 3 years...no car commercials!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:01 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

You havent lived until you've listened to one of Ho$uc's podcasts. He's got a dozen or so out. They keep getting 4-5 minutes longer as they're released. He starts off with a nice measured, calm tone and he's good and manic by the end.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:22 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

OMG, that is awesome! I must listen! Thanks for the tip, CFB. I had no idea I could listen to the Ho$uc Pearls of Wisdom whispered in my ear...ooooh....sexy!

Old 09-11-2008, 08:57 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I'm sorry, they're "robcasts", not podcasts...

Personal Finance Podcasts

A partial listing...

Podcast #1 (32 minutes) -- July 18, 2008 -- Buy-and-Hold Cannot Work -- Here's Why
Podcast #2 (32 minutes) -- July 25, 2008 -- Passive Investing vs. Rational Investing
Podcast #3 (32 minutes) -- August 1, 2008 -- Few Dare to Tell the Truth About Stock Investing
Podcast #4 (35 minutes) -- August 8, 2008 -- I'd Be the Growlingest Bear on the Internet If Only I Were A Bear
Podcast #5 (32 minutes) -- August 15, 2008 -- The Great Safe-Withdrawal-Rate Debate
Podcast #6 (32 minutes) -- August 21, 2008 -- Rob Bennett, the Reluctant Investing "Expert"
Podcast #7 (38 minutes) -- August 22, 2008 -- I Know More About Investing Than John Bogle (and You Can Too!)
Podcast #8 (40 minutes) -- August 28, 2008 -- The Coming Revolution in Investing Advice
Podcast #9 (43 minutes) -- August 27, 2008 -- The True Bogleheads
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Colonial Williamsburg Podcasts - I'm a History/re-enactmant fan - Avalilable free from iTunes.
NotReady4Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

KCRW's Left, Right & Center (sometimes balanced convo's, usually a contest to see who can make their point over the other person, but occasional insights)

NPR Science Friday

But just do some searching in iTunes, you are bound to find fascinating stuff. Also, check the 'similar' threads below - some good stuff I think.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:08 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

My podcast list is similar to Sarah's.

Still I am amazed that nobody has brought up NPR fabulous "This American Life", generally two 25 minutes stories on a common theme, and for you News junkies, NPR Wait Wait don't tell me, a news quiz show is a lot of fun.

As for Hocu$, CFB you are sick puppy, and Sarah I figured you were a bit of masochist after the CFP course, but calling his podcast sexy, I am speechless.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:10 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Well, to be fair, I hadn't heard it, I was just imagining how fabulous his voice would be when his posts are so, well, insane.
I haven't been brave enough to listen yet, even though CFB's description intrigues me.

I had This American Life for a while, but it was stressing me out not to have time to listen to the whole thing. I like the shorter ones that I can sneak in while driving, and my commute is usually about 30-45 minutes, and I like some variety during that time.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:20 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I don't own an iPod, but I might have to get one to listen to "I Know More About Investing Than John Bogle (and You Can Too!)". That sounds like an instant classic. I used to lurk at the retire early home page site back when he was in full swing, and he was always entertaining, up until I started tearing my hair out.

Is he still up in Purcellville VA? I'm buying a townhouse a couple miles from there next month. Maybe I can go learn at the master's feet!
Old 09-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Cliff, you've got your new candidate for Masochist of the year, and it ain't me! Harley, I double dog dare you to show up for a lesson at his house!

Old 09-11-2008, 09:00 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Oh you dont have to listen to much of old Hoc's podcast. Ten or fifteen seconds in the middle of any one of them will give you the gist. He sounds eerily like one would imagine Renfield to be.

I'm not sure where he lives now, I've been out of the game of Poke-the-Hoc as an accompaniment to my morning coffee. Last I heard his all fixed income scheme and self publication of books that nobody bought left him with under a quarter million in cash. I think he sold his house and his wife left him. Of course, you can always stop by the official Hocaquarium and catch up on his latest exploits.

Rob Bennett's Best of Hocomania Discussion Forum - Index

I will warn you that its reminiscent of Paul Hogan in Crocodile Dundee going into the hotel room in Manhattan and seeing a tv and remarking "I saw one of those once about 20 years ago", he turns it on and there's Lucille Ball and he says "Yep, thats what I saw".
Old 09-11-2008, 09:07 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I don't own an iPod, but I might have to get one to listen to ...
You don't need a device to listen. You can download the podcasts and listen on the computer. iTunes is probably the easiest way, sometimes there are links directly to the podcasts, and I'm sure there are other SW alternatives.

-ERD50
Old 09-11-2008, 09:10 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

You can also get an old style Shuffle for about $20, or a refurb unit for not a lot more.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

All audio only; I use an IPOD shuffle

NPR Talk of the Nation
The Ray Lucia Show
The Diane Rehm Show
Sound Investing
Meet the Press
On Point with Tom Ashbrook
Car Talk
Left, Right and Center
Dave Ramsey
Clark Howard
Washington Week
Radio Lab
Whad'Ya Know?
Marketplace Morning Report
Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me

I don't get to them all every week, but I do listen to a lot. It's great for when I'm working outside or waiting in airports.
Gardnr is offline   Reply With Quote
iTunes/iPod TIPS
Old 09-14-2008, 01:09 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

iTunes/iPod TIPS

I found that with a big list of podcasts such as Gardnr has, it gets to be a bit of a hassle to locate the latest ones, and move those into your iPod. iTunes seems to keep things grouped by podcast, and you can only sort within that grouping. So, here's my solution:

In iTunes, create a new 'Smart Playlist' (under 'File menu'). Name it something like 'Recent Podcasts', and add two RULES (check 'match ALL'):

1) PODCAST is TRUE

2) DATE ADDED is after <todays' date> ( or 'within X days/weeks/months)

Now, when anything new gets added, an alias to it is placed in this playlist, and you can look and drag any/all of these to your device. It really doesn't matter much about the date or range choice, the important thing is you CAN sort this smart playlist by DATE ADDED, and keep the recently added ones at the top of the list.

One more - if some of your podcasts are short, or you really want to listen to a bunch in a row without stopping to select them, try this:

in iTunes (and with device plugged in) select the device. Create a New Playlist on that device. Now, copy any podcasts you want into that playlist. Once you start playing from that playlist, they will play in order w/o a pause at the end (just like songs).

FYI, all of this 'copying' is just copying the pointers to the songs/podcasts, not the actual song/podcast file - you won't be using up a lot of memory for this.

NOTE: tip#2 won't apply to a shuffle, unless they have updated them, you can't create playlists on them.

-ERD50
Old 09-14-2008, 04:31 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Wow ERD thanks I didn't even know that was possible with iTUNES. I have been frustrated with old podcasts, since many of mine are topical and I don't listen to podcast consistently.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:35 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Oh come on Clif, that mac stuff is so intuitive and obvious you should have figured it out with no problems.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:23 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had a few issues of The Economist on my ipod when I was traveling, listened to them patched into the car radio. Also books on tape, looong Oprah books for my wife. The only show I used to listen to regularly when I was working was Car Talk.
CFB, I have to resist listening to H@cus, I am worried that I would not be able to get the voice out of my head, its bad enough reading where it is easier to keep the necessary mental distance.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:44 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Oh come on Clif, that mac stuff is so intuitive and obvious you should have figured it out with no problems.
Yep, there are some less than intuitive things in iTunes - I agree. At least with some of these built in features, I had work-arounds.

Got a good alternative? A little googling and the most promising one I say was 'Juice', however:

In 2006 the team effectively stopped further development of the program, the developers started working in other fields some Podcasting related.

-ERD50