Why am I Outside?

Red Badger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Okay, probably not the only one here... But I could be wrong (again).

Temps finally broke last night. Yesterday - mid 90's. Today - mid 60's.

So, this morning, a cool 60ish. The fur kid and I head to the patio at our usual (very early) time. I've got my stein of coffee and he's ready for his post breakfast snooze. It's chilly, so I crank up the fire pit. Why? :confused:

What possesses one to exit a perfectly warm and cozy house and go sit outside where a fire (and the requisite activity of creating said fire) is needed to be comfortable? I don't know of anyone who shuts down the computer and fires up the IBM Selectric 3 to bang out a letter... Fire pits are flying off the shelves at the big box stores. Not seeing much demand for Remington manual typewriters (though I'm sure there is a market). DS commented about the scent from fire pits/places as he drove home from work today.

So, any cave persons here besides me?

Oh, happy autumn! :)

I got out and did a lot of yard work. You’re not alone, I noticed the smell of either fireplaces or fire pits this morning. I love the smell. Especially if someone is burning a nice hardwood like oak or hickory.

Friday, I cleaned the chimney, and brought up my first FEL load of wood for the year for my woodstove. In NW Ohio, I spend more time burning my woodstove than I do heating the pool.

We fixed Brats over the fire pit fire, on Thursday night and ate out at the picnic table.

Okay, probably not the only one here... But I could be wrong (again).

Temps finally broke last night. Yesterday - mid 90's. Today - mid 60's.

So, this morning, a cool 60ish. The fur kid and I head to the patio at our usual (very early) time. I've got my stein of coffee and he's ready for his post breakfast snooze. It's chilly, so I crank up the fire pit. Why? :confused:

What possesses one to exit a perfectly warm and cozy house and go sit outside where a fire (and the requisite activity of creating said fire) is needed to be comfortable? I don't know of anyone who shuts down the computer and fires up the IBM Selectric 3 to bang out a letter... Fire pits are flying off the shelves at the big box stores. Not seeing much demand for Remington manual typewriters (though I'm sure there is a market). DS commented about the scent from fire pits/places as he drove home from work today.

So, any cave persons here besides me?

Oh, happy autumn! :)

Au contraire...college kids LOVE manual typewriters. They alll have keyboarding skills and love the idea of something that is portable and doesn't need to be plugged-in or recharged...and can be used in sunlight and low light.

A friend of mine sells old, rare prints in a used bookstore in a high-end college town. Whenever he travels, he buys up all the old typewriters he can find fir a pittance, as he sells them for around $350 ea.

omni

Some (most?) people find their moods improved after being outside. There’s probably a scientific reason.

We have been having record breaking heat here in New Orleans this first week of October. Highs in the mid to upper 90's. Remember August and September? More of the same.

BUT - - about five hours ago we had some very welcome rain! It was loud and torrential, and the sound of it beating down on the roof awakened me but still seemed pretty nice.

It's still dark as night outside, so there may be more rain to come. And our high today is predicted to be only 89! It will be fun to have a change in the weather.

Actually no, I have no desire to sit outside in the rain.... :D I have no idea what a fire pit is, probably some strange native ritual among inhabitants of the far northern lands.

:greetings10:

Funny you should mention this. Daughter is looking for a house, and it seems every one she's picked so far has a fire pit. One has two. Usually just a circle of concrete block curb stones or whatever they're called.

My sister has one that was professionally installed; a big circular patio paved with nice-looking blocks, a top-end metal and concrete pit, a block wall part-way around, with room for lawn chairs all around. It's the focal point of get-togethers whenever the weather permits, especially as it cools down in the fall.

And who doesn't like toasted marshmallows?

It's fall, best to enjoy the days. It's lovely out now highs in the 60s, 30s at night. Looks like next week they suggest we're going in the 20s.

Fire is especially mesmerizing. This is one of the unifying things of our species.

93ºF last Friday evening, 63ºF same time of day Saturday.

Wish the front that came through had brought some rain along with the cooler temperatures...it's time to aerate but the ground is baked hard as a rock.

We live in Central Coast California. I love being outside. DW built us an oasis in the back of our driveway with succulents, tables, chairs and a BBQ. I love sitting there and reading.
We also have a full width porch that faces a 2000 foot mountain and the planes in the pattern at a local airport.
Best part is we can do it year round

Life is good!

IMG_0090.jpg

The mini schnauzer demands I drink my coffee in the morning on the front porch so he can say hi to the other neighborhood dogs getting walked in the morning

I am always outside walking, 100 or 30 degrees, rain or shine, not down pour. I take walk after lunch and dinner. It’s essential part of my life. Actually one of my big requirements of retirement home is to have good walking around.

I spend several hours a day outside. This morning we awoke to temps in the mid 30’s. So I broke out the smartwool socks and shirt. Spending time outside is great when I’m dressed for whatever condititions I get myself into. Most days during the last month have been rainy, but great with boots and a raincoat. For me, nothing is better than a long walk outdoors in nature.

We only had about 6 days in the 90's this year. Temps these days are in the 30's and 40's and love the cold weather. I couldn't imagine living where the heat and humidity is high for over half the year. I'm outside for 7 to 10 hours each day.

I am always outside walking, 100 or 30 degrees, rain or shine, not down pour. I take walk after lunch and dinner. It’s essential part of my life. Actually one of my big requirements of retirement home is to have good walking around.

I walk most every day. 3-5 miles in the morning, and another 2-3 before or after dinner. I also spend a lot of time outside doing projects, reading, browsing. Our small yard is secluded and (for suburbia) pleasantly quiet. Its all decks and raised bed gardens with a patch of lawn just big enough for a game corn bag toss. DW accepts, but doesn't comprehend why, some days I'm outside at 5:30 - - - and coming in to get ready for bed around 9. :dance:

Ha, ha, we had a beautiful fire pit at our lake house in PHX. A semi circle of stone bench by our boat dock that the iguanas would warm themselves up on. Rare for PHX but when it did rain the lake would rise and the fire pit filled with lake water. First world problem.

Back
Top Bottom