Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Why are funny women threatening to men?
Old 03-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why are funny women threatening to men?

Why do men consider funny women threatening? I never understood this and figured our intelligent men on this board could shed some light on this.

And how could a funny woman threaten a man? Would the man be afraid that the woman could castrate him with a one-liner? Or she would use him as the butt of some of her jokes?

Is a funny woman considered too sharp and quick witted, and, therefore, more threatening to men's sense of superiority or his feeling that he "should" be superior in all--including sharpness and quick witted ways? I, personally, know men who consider a woman who is brighter than them very threatening so know that exists.

I started thinking of this after reading this month's "Men's Health" where they had one of their surveys and this one on comedy, and lo and behold! says that a full 74% of men feel that men are funnier naturally than women. Why? Because a male comedian slants his style towards other men is all I could think of.

Maybe it has to do something with being on a stage and standing "over" the audience is a sign of power and men find a woman up there threatening? Men are "supposed" to be the dominant one and not a woman. Is that it?

Or is it that female comedians have strong personalities which equals threatening to men? Which goes against the stereotype of the innocent lass which so many strippers love to portray (as in have you known many strippers who weren't going to "college"?).

OR is a woman who is naturally funny just un-feminine or not sexy to most men? Maybe it has something to do with the role that some men expect women to play, and by that I mean quiet, demure and not a funny center-of-attention type.

Am I on the right track here at all? Any thoughts? This question had plagued me for years, so time to ask.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I do not have a clue! I'm not funny.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I do not have a clue! I'm not funny.
Me either...

...on second thought, maybe a man feels uncomfortable around a funny woman when she causes him to blow his drink out of his nose.....
Old 03-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

dunno - but one of the funniest classmate writers, female, from my college days was in no way attractive to me. Odd thing was she was not at all funny in person, just in print.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Why do men consider funny women threatening?
Interesting. If it were true.

I'm curious on what you're basing this conclusion. If anything, it's the self-important, overly-serious, snarly ones (of either gender, for that matter) who scare the stuffing out of me.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:19 PM   #6

I don't think I've ever noticed guys threatened by a female comedian. Women with wealth and power are a different story. Barbara Walters, Hillary Clinton, and Oprah are the first three that come to mind.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:32 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I think it's great. It's clear that my spouse is smarter and has a better sense of humor than most humans.

After all, she married me.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:38 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I think has more to do with personality of woman comedian who often come off as abrasive. (So do male comedians). The kinda of folks that you'd love to have a party maybe even have for dinner, but too much exposure would be just annoying.

I can't tell you I've never had a guy say he was dumping a girl because she was too funny. A few because they complained she had no sense of humor, but never the other way around.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:48 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Why do men consider funny women threatening? I never understood this and figured our intelligent men on this board could shed some light on this.

OR is a woman who is naturally funny just un-feminine or not sexy to most men?
I can't shed any light on this subject because all, with one exception, does not, repeat not, describe my thinking at all. The one exception... Yeah, I guess, Phyliss Diller and Joan Rivers are not all that physically atractive to me -- not even a little, actually. On the other hand, there are some quite attractive female comedians -- Dame Edna, for instance.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:14 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Orchid: why would you assume men are threatened by funny women simply because a poll says men think men are funnier? Maybe they are just subconsciously reacting to the polls that always seem to portray women as preferring men with a sense of humor: if that's true, wouldn't evolution select for funny guys
Old 03-27-2010, 06:35 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not threatened by a woman that is hilarious. But then, I work in an occupation where the only thing we have to stave off certain insanity is humor. Mental health workers and cops are in this category. That's we we have the two kinds of macabre humor: mental health humor and cop humor. Eitehr group that works with a wide population and has to deal with horribly home situations, suicides, death develop humor as a solution or they don't last long, or they become a kind of morose mental handicap themselves.
HsiaoChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:11 AM   #12

I dig Sarah Silverman!

Old 03-27-2010, 07:21 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

The question seemed aimed at men, so I asked my husband. He said he has never felt threatened by any unarmed woman who is not trying to take him to court.

He reckoned if a woman pointed a gun at him and demanded he laugh at her lame jokes, he would feel threatened, and try to comply.

He said he would even put up with knock-knock jokes, if it was the price of a conversation with a really beautiful woman. He would, however, prefer a beautiful woman who can discuss current events.

As for female comedians, he couldn't get enough of Tina Fey's Sarah Palin impression, and is fond of Julia Louis-Dreyfuss as Elaine in Seinfeld. (Then again, he likes Kramer, George, and Neumann, too).

Bottom line, he either likes someone's humor, or doesn't. He does find studied attempts at being funny off-putting in either sex because it makes the person seem needy for attention, which is never attractive.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:50 AM   #14
Administrator

I love funny women and don't feel threatened at all by them.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've never heard of "funny" women being threatening to men. Women that make more money than men, yes (but not to me -- I can only wish this were true)... women who are more intelligent and/or educated, yes -- I've heard these. But funny? New to me.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:29 AM   #16

I don't know if men find funny women threatening or not, but I can't imagine anybody finding this funny lady unattractive.

Or this one

Recognize them?
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Second pic is Lucille Ball.
First one has me stumped. Her eyes look a bit like Phyllis Diller's.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #18
Administrator

I love funny women, and I would be surprised to hear that most men are turned off by funny women. I can see where some men can be put off by women who are more intelligent them.

For long term relationships, those who laugh together stay together, IMO.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Second pic is Lucille Ball.
First one has me stumped. Her eyes look a bit like Phyllis Diller's.
Rosalind Russell.
Keim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post

It feels like moving into a parallel universe when I see pictures like this and remember that once upon a time it was supposed to be sexy and glamorous to be smoking.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote