Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Why are we so obsessed with Iran a third world country?
Old 09-24-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
gone traveling

Why are we so obsessed with Iran a third world country?

I cannot figure this out, a country that is what third world at best? It poses no threat to america NONE!!! But we scream about am a dinner jacket that idiot president and worry about them getting a nuke? Heck pakistan has a nuke and those people are muslims, they are not inclinded to shoot one off anytime soon.

Geesh.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2007, 05:21 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooBear View Post
I cannot figure this out..
What I can't figure out is...oh nevermind....
Old 09-24-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

BooBear..... don't look now but Iran is Muslim also.... only they have declared that Israel should be wiped from the face of the earth.... by the way.... Israel has nukes also.. or so it is said.

Now just what do you think Iran would do if they had Nukes?

England, France, Israel, Russia, China, Pakistan, India, and North Korea. I only see one on the list now that concerns me.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:03 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

What, no link to a NYT article?
RedHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
England, France, Israel, Russia, China, Pakistan, India, and North Korea. I only see one on the list now that concerns me.
Looking in the wrong direction again I see.

Saint's are 0 and 2, play on Monday night football in about an hour.

Unclemick is watching - He's RETIRED! and didn't mow the grass again today.

And people are worried about silly ass Nuc- cler or however you pronounce it!

Get serious folks! Get real! 0 and 2 - crunch time.

heh heh heh - maybe a little pizza will calm him down. Otherwise we have to add him to the list of how to go nuclear on pizza and bad football. What's the address of them guys in New York City?
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:40 PM   #6

Quote:
You left one off.. the US!

(I think 3-4 are potentially worrisome, including us. The casual but oh-so-civilized nuclear banter over at Kristol's joint is, to me, just as chilling as the Iranian bombast.) Let's hope clearer heads prevail... Peace y'all!
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:52 PM   #7

...Still waiting for the ignore thread feature.

How long before we get to the "Bush is stupid" remark? I say within the next 10 posts.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:59 PM   #8

Quote:
I cannot figure this out, a country that is what third world at best? It poses no threat to america NONE!!! But we scream about am a dinner jacket that idiot president and worry about them getting a nuke? Heck pakistan has a nuke and those people are muslims, they are not inclinded to shoot one off anytime soon.

Geesh.

I hope you were not serious with your question.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:00 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bush is stupid
Old 09-24-2007, 07:01 PM   #10

Quote:

Geesh.
JUST LIKE IRAQ - IRAN DOES NOT POSE A THREAT TO THE U.S

I would worry more about Old George W then Iran. Afterall it was Old George W who used the excuse that GOD told him to attack Iraq. With the US having thousands of nukes and with Old George W's policy to attack them first before they attack us, I guess the world has plenty to worry about.

With Old George W's saber rattling I would not be suprised if the U.S attacks Syria or Iran before he leaves office. Just like with Iraq any mess he gets the U.S into he will hand over to the next President to solve and for him or her to take ownership of (pass the buck). The varmint is not capable of being an honest broker with the American people.

In reality it was Cheney telling him to attack Iraq and he thought it was GOD. I for one think that Old George W is using GOD as a fall guy that way he does not have to admit that he is incompetent, that his Iraq War policies have failed and that he just blew it.

In the meantime Old George W failed Iraq War policies have resulted in thousands if not millions of OUR TROOPS and the IRAQI PEOPLE KILLED, WOUNDED AND MAIMED.

Osama Bin Laden continues to mock the U.S and the world and has basically made Old George W look like a donkey's A$$.

GOD BLESS AMERICA, OUR TROOPS, OUR FALLEN TROOPS, OUR VETERANS, THEIR FAMILIES, THE IRAQI PEOPLE AND THE GREAT WILLIE NELSON.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:21 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
GOD BLESS AMERICA, OUR TROOPS, OUR FALLEN TROOPS, OUR VETERANS, THEIR FAMILIES, THE IRAQI PEOPLE AND THE GREAT WILLIE NELSON.
I'll drink to that! And let's not forget Waylon either.

Ha
Old 09-24-2007, 07:27 PM   #12

Quote:
. . . that idiot president . . .
Geesh.
To which idiot president were you referring?
Old 09-24-2007, 07:33 PM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
JUST LIKE IRAQ - IRAN DOES NOT POSE A THREAT TO THE U.S

I would worry more about Old George W then Iran. Afterall it was Old George W who used the excuse that GOD told him to attack Iraq. With the US having thousands of nukes and with Old George W's policy to attack them first before they attack us, I guess the world has plenty to worry about.

With Old George W's saber rattling I would not be suprised if the U.S attacks Syria or Iran before he leaves office. Just like with Iraq any mess he gets the U.S into he will hand over to the next President to solve and for him or her to take ownership of (pass the buck). The varmint is not capable of being an honest broker with the American people.

In reality it was Cheney telling him to attack Iraq and he thought it was GOD. I for one think that Old George W is using GOD as a fall guy that way he does not have to admit that he is incompetent, that his Iraq War policies have failed and that he just blew it.

In the meantime Old George W failed Iraq War policies have resulted in thousands if not millions of OUR TROOPS and the IRAQI PEOPLE KILLED, WOUNDED AND MAIMED.

Osama Bin Laden continues to mock the U.S and the world and has basically made Old George W look like a donkey's A$$.

But then again I ask a question and have some ignorant reponses. Like where is my ignore button, or how about a post and link from the NYtimes, look the times has gone down in my eyes as a paper but you need to be able to read on an 8th grade level. I guess many here cannot do that.

Wags thanks for your response.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:34 PM   #14

Why is our government worried about Iran? Oil. The Iranians have a lot. We don't. Also, their location is convenient to the Strait of Hermos. If the Iranians get pissed off at us, they can block the flow of oil. No problemo.

It's crunch time in the USA. How will our government respond to the increasingly obvious situation that we are not in control of our destiny any longer? At least in regards to access to oil. Some people like Bush and Cheney think we should just go take it, after Iraq then Iran. If you were the president of Iran, would you get a little worried and maybe start rattling your sword, making noises about acquiring nuclear power and all that it implies? I'm just asking.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:38 PM   #15
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
Why is our government worried about Iran? Oil. The Iranians have a lot. We don't. Also, their location is convenient to the Strait of Hermos. If the Iranians get pissed off at us, they can block the flow of oil. No problemo.

It's crunch time in the USA. How will our government respond to the increasingly obvious situation that we are not in control of our destiny any longer? At least in regards to access to oil. Some people like Bush and Cheney think we should just go take it, after Iraq then Iran. If you were the president of Iran, would you get a little worried and maybe start rattling your sword, making noises about acquiring nuclear power and all that it implies? I'm just asking.
We have to change how we do things in america, rebuild the railroads, suburbia is so over, local business again. forget walmart on wheels, forget suvs and thinking growing corn for FUEL will help, it will just make food more expensive. We are going to have a great mess around here sooner than later and when Nascar jerry can't get fuel to get to his job or he is looking at a foreclouser on his home well there will be many angry guys around with guns.

Oh and didn't the CIA get involved back in the 50s in Iran? The democratically elected guy get overthrown by the CIA backed Shah??

Hey I am not giving the nuts in Iran any slack here but we have a bad rep in the hood.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:20 PM   #16

I'm a Johnny Cash fan, myself! Willie skeeves me out.

interesting exchange between Ahmadenijad and a guy over at 60 Minutes:
Quote:
....what has to be the kicker of the interview is when Pelley asks Ahmadinejad (who has been called a madman, a terrorist supporter and evil by Bush, mind you) what he likes about President Bush.

Ahmadinejad responds by asking what do Americans like about Bush. Pelley’s answer? Bush is a religious man.

As an American citizen tell me what trait do you admire?” the president asked Pelley.

Well Mr. Bush is without question a very religious man for example, as you are,” Pelley replied.
Crooks and Liars » 60 Minutes: Ahmadinejad plays coy

I think Mr. A. is probably a cagey bastard; I don't have warm, fuzzy feelings about him in the least.. but ceding the ground to radical fundamentalists, whether Islamists or Christianists, and framing the whole stand-off as a religious war is more than I can bear. The fact that it is "normal" for Bush to have God-given instructions that don't exactly jibe with the other side's God-given instructions is cold comfort.

Mr. A. is also kind of a question mark in that he is not the head of state.. he's somewhere inbetween the power of a US pres. and that of a Nancy Pelosi/Newt Gingrich, closer to the latter, from what I understand.

Also worth looking at...
Turning Ahmadinejad into public enemy No. 1 (Juan Cole)
Think Progress » Podhoretz Granted Secret Access To Lobby Bush On ‘The Case For Bombing Iran’

You can decide or not whether to listen to Olbermann and the Daily Kos, or Hannity and Michelle Malkin.. but in the meantime don't neglect Juan Cole, who keeps an eye on things and actually (gasp) reads Arabic and reveals for us a lot of complexities that the others will naturally miss.

Informed Comment
It's heavy going. Sorting out all the Arab names and trying to keep the characters straight is like reading War & Peace. But it will give you an idea of the myriad interests/corruptions/terrorists/martyrs/heroes/villains/betrayals/subtleties in the world of the Middle East in a way that I've not seen attempted elsewhere.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
We have to change how we do things in america, rebuild the railroads, suburbia is so over, local business again. forget walmart on wheels, forget suvs and thinking growing corn for FUEL will help, it will just make food more expensive. We are going to have a great mess around here sooner than later and when Nascar jerry can't get fuel to get to his job or he is looking at a foreclouser on his home well there will be many angry guys around with guns.

Oh and didn't the CIA get involved back in the 50s in Iran? The democratically elected guy get overthrown by the CIA backed Shah??

Hey I am not giving the nuts in Iran any slack here but we have a bad rep in the hood.
I think that even for you this post jumps the shark.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:00 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
I think that even for you this post jumps the shark.
Are you referring to the fact that BooBoo and Newguy is the same person and he's once again responding to his own posts?
Old 09-24-2007, 09:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I'll drink to that! And let's not forget Waylon either.

Ha
Yes, I will drink a Dr. Pepper to Waylon, Willie, Haggard, Jones, June and Johnny Cash, Paycheck, Conway, Bob Willis and the Texas Playboys. Loretta, Tammy, David Allen Coe. Dolly, Porter, Hank Sr, Hank Jr. The Silver Fox and the rest of the people that made country and western music what it is today.

I love Country and Western Music and I am sure that the names I listed does not include all the GREAT ONES.
Have you ever heard the song "Bob Willis is still the king" by Waylon?

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:23 PM   #20

saluki.. PLEASE.. it's quite clear that a fuel source superior to ethanol lies in the discarded Roast Beef from Trombone Al's sammies.