Why Aren't Automatic Speeding Tickets Issued?

They were all over the Netherlands when I lived there in 1995-1996. Of course if you were local you quickly learned where they were so they only trapped people from out of the area or new to the area.

Cars GPS's usually have a feature to warn you when you are on a road with speed cameras. Our Garmin, bought in the USA but with European maps also has this feature but when we were in the UK for many months in 2011 I eventually turned it off because there were always signs everywhere there were cameras and the warning beeps became annoying and not useful. It was the same last year in Australia where we did a lot of driving and used a GPS borrowed from my brother.

In 2013 we drove in France and were careful to note a couple of changes that year to french driving laws which were that you had to have 2 breathalyzer kits in the car and that the GPS speeding camera feature had to be turned off. This confirmed to many that in France the speeding cameras were mainly for revenue and safety came second.

This chart shows the varying laws for speed and red light cameras by state. There's considerable variability: some states ban them entirely, it's fairly common to allow them but automatic citations can't be counted against a driver's record or reported to insurance companies, etc. Interesting.

Last edited:
If I drive over the Golden Gate Bridge, the system takes a photo of my license plate and sends me a bill for the toll.

On a recent trip to the Bay Area we were passed by many cars traveling at least 80 MPH and many faster.

Wouldn't it be a slam dunk to set up cameras that measure speed, photograph the license plates, and send a bill?

Certainly those would reduce crashes and deaths and result in enforcement savings.

What's the holdup?

Never quite sure if Al's posts are something to do with another book or what.
I certainly don't want to see some hurt/killed in an accident. Don't know how effective cameras would be. On a double lane highway I just try to stay out of the way of a fast driver. On single lane roads if they get too close I'll pull over if I can and let them pass. I know people that think they are the police and will intentionally get in the passing lane and pace the car in the right hand lane so it's a rolling road block. Making people mad that they can't pass. My grandmother would slow down and tap her brakes if she thought that someone was going too fast or tailgating her. I also think when I see someone speeding they may be rushing because of an emergency. How many times have you rushed to school because of a sick child or someone's in ER at hospital. I don't think cameras will stop stupid/inconsiderate drivers.

Never quite sure if Al's posts are something to do with another book or what.

That was my first thought too.

I know people that think they are the police and will intentionally get in the passing lane and pace the car in the right hand lane so it's a rolling road block.

Big trucks (18 wheelers) will do that a lot, particularly if traffic is slow. I guess they think they are accomplishing something. I guess they are, they PO a lot of folks and it helps give them a bad name.

.......Big trucks (18 wheelers) will do that a lot, particularly if traffic is slow. I guess they think they are accomplishing something. I guess they are, they PO a lot of folks and it helps give them a bad name.
With all the road rage out there I sure wouldn't want to make someone mad. They get mad about stupid things. Though sometimes I can't blame the big rigs for getting tired of people in cars acting like they can stop on a dime or go faster uphill.
Oh well, back to Al. My crazy great uncle (some of your posts remind me of him, in a good way) in Calif./Ariz., taught math at Pepperdine and later moved to Arizona where his wife was at Embry/Riddle. He was one of the worse drivers I've ever seen. He thought he was a great driver......he never did the posted speed limit, he was either way under or way over. If he happened to realize he was tailgating he'd roll down his window and yell at the car in front of him. My great aunt did most of the driving. Al, There are all kinds of different (crazy) drivers out there. Just pay attention to your driving and let the cops worry about the other guy.

I don't want to live in a future as depicted by THX 1138.

Why Not?

There is a book I've always enjoyed as it appears to have an interesting take on things. So bless George Orwell for explaining what happens in a world of telescreens.

Why Not?

There is a book I've always enjoyed as it appears to have an interesting take on things. So bless George Orwell for explaining what happens in a world of telescreens.

You'll never skip your morning workout again!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Went for a motorcycle ride today and for some reason thought of this post. Looked down several times at the speedometer. If drivers were ticketed automatically via technology people would need to constantly be checking their speed which is actually unsafe to do (eyes are off the road).

I think driving whatever feels safe for the conditions is better than constantly monitoring your speed.

Up here in the frozen north, we have cameras everywhere. Red lights (as soon as they are installed, yellow lights last < 1 sec). Speed (as soon as installed, they remove lower speed limit signs on highways entering towns and install cameras). Next, WTFK.

It's all revenue. An old friend who now lives on another continent borrowed my truck this summer. 11 weeks later (long after he'd gone home) I get a picture of it in the mail with a request for $130. If I want to defend myself, I have to admit being the driver or name the driver. If I name him, he is expected to spend ~$2K to show up in court. How does one defend that. If he had been handed a ticket, he'd have been here and could have done it.

I don't want to live in a future as depicted by THX 1138.

That was one scary ass flick , worse than Soylent Green. THX still gives me the creeps. (Note to self, check amazon video , and get the popcorn ready)

An old friend who now lives on another continent borrowed my truck this summer. 11 weeks later (long after he'd gone home) I get a picture of it in the mail with a request for $130. If I want to defend myself, I have to admit being the driver or name the driver. If I name him, he is expected to spend ~$2K to show up in court. How does one defend that. If he had been handed a ticket, he'd have been here and could have done it.
That's a crazy situation. I'd tell the authorities that you loaned him the truck, and that you don't know whether he drove it the whole time or loaned it to someone else (right? I mean, you weren't with him). Then let them try to track him down, send INTERPOL after him, take away his birthday, etc. I'll bet they drop it altogether if you send them a notarized letter or appeared in court.

Up here in the frozen north, we have cameras everywhere. Red lights (as soon as they are installed, yellow lights last < 1 sec). Speed (as soon as installed, they remove lower speed limit signs on highways entering towns and install cameras). Next, WTFK.

It's all revenue. An old friend who now lives on another continent borrowed my truck this summer. 11 weeks later (long after he'd gone home) I get a picture of it in the mail with a request for $130. If I want to defend myself, I have to admit being the driver or name the driver. If I name him, he is expected to spend ~$2K to show up in court. How does one defend that. If he had been handed a ticket, he'd have been here and could have done it.

$130 is real cheap, around here , it usually is over $600 with all the misc. BS " Fees" and surcharges. The only saving grace is the judges in LA county refuse to let these be listed on your driving record, so your insurance doesn't also take a hit at renewal

Several cities in CA have tried to add muni code sections for moving violations, and use those instead of state VC sections, so the city get's all the citation revenue, no sharing fines with the state. The state put the kibosh on that .

It's all about revenue, not traffic safety.

Why not just use the car's own data logger. It could determine what speed you are driving and know what the speed limit is with GPS information.

Tickets could be mailed out, data sent to the insurance companies, and penalties accessed.

Of course, only people with any money or assets would be required to pay. If you were on public assistance, your fines could be paid by the State, or forgiven. You cannot get blood from a turnip. No one would go to jail for not paying, as that is too expensive for the public.

This could actually work better than an income tax as a means to flatten the wealth curve.

Of course, only people with any money or assets would be required to pay.

This could actually work better than an income tax as a means to flatten the wealth curve.

:nonono::nonono::nonono:

Do self-driving cars speed? Will this whole problem go away when there are no drivers?

Do self-driving cars speed? Will this whole problem go away when there are no drivers?

When you get a speeding ticket in the mail on your Apple self- driving car, you can use the following in court: " Tech support says it's a known issue ".

Great question. And would you even need car insurance? If so, who would it cover? The 'driver' or the passenger?

Would a person even need a driver's license? And will they be able to drink alcoholic beverages while a passenger?

In a perfect world (no accidents, no speeding, no tickets), a very large revenue source for insurance companies and States would immediately dry up.

It makes me think that a driver-less car will never happen.

It would be great for dropping a car off at the garage. Just program it and let it go.

Why not just use the car's own data logger. It could determine what speed you are driving and know what the speed limit is with GPS information.

Tickets could be mailed out, data sent to the insurance companies, and penalties accessed.

Of course, only people with any money or assets would be required to pay. If you were on public assistance, your fines could be paid by the State, or forgiven. You cannot get blood from a turnip. No one would go to jail for not paying, as that is too expensive for the public.

Traffic tickets should not be used for revenue. I am not claiming that they're not at this time in many or most areas. They should be used to determine who is driving safely AND with in the legal limits. Driving is not a right, but a privilege.
you know my new car where I did not get navigation and did not continue the XM radio is able to display ads for places just across the street from where I am. If I provide a data path for it, it will send vehicle telemetry (condition to the dealers, etc). I did not buy navigation with this car. Based on its actions, it has all the smarts it needs to send ticket info. With the forward collision avoidance system, it could tell the color the the lights, etc...

As for the self driving cars, I would expect that they won't speed, but may have special lanes where they can go faster. Hacking the car will likely be illegal and I would expect driving a hacked car will put the owner/driver at full risk (I would expect insurance will likely not cover an accident in a hacked self driving car).

Last year, Dallas DP started issuing discipline to officers who drove over 100 MPH for any reason. First of all, that's a stupid rule in general. There are legitimate reasons to drive that fast especially after midnight on a highway when there are very few cars on the road and someone is getting robbed, raped, or another officer is in a fight for his life...but that's a different story. Some officers went to court to fight their discipline and were able to prove that GPS devices on vehicles aren't accurate enough in determining speed for anyone to say with any accuracy that they were driving the speed that the GPS device said they were moving.

Some officers went to court to fight their discipline and were able to prove that GPS devices on vehicles aren't accurate enough in determining speed for anyone to say with any accuracy that they were driving the speed that the GPS device said they were moving.

True, the car's 'black box' would monitor the speed, as they already do. Not the GPS. The GPS would determine the speed limit for the road. With GPS, it can tell if you are on what road, and what speed of the road is. If necessary, a signal could be sent out from every speed limit sign you pass.

It's actually pretty simple technology that exists today, and will be used in the future to generate revenue, guaranteed. Assuming you have enough money to pay it.

Once the Feds threaten to stop sending highways funds to the states that ban this technology, it will be un-banned.

Similar to what they did with drinking age laws.

It is not hard to have 100% enforcement, as a means to safety.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom