Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Why did you choose that handle?
Old 02-28-2005, 07:44 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well, I'm a Flip (born and raised in the Philippines).

I also tend to get silly or have a silly sense of humor. I usually keep that silliness hidden behind a reserved and shy front. Not everyone appreciates silliness, especially at work. Even I don't like it when I think the occasion is a serious one.
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2005, 07:51 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Unfortunately, it isn't paid work. *However, it is a fun hobby that I haven't had the time to sufficiently indulge lately. *Check out www.bjcp.org for more info.
Thanks Brewer, I figured it didn't pay much :P, that would be too good to be true! I'm still gonna check it out, as I don't need the pay, but I do like beer. 8)

Beachbumz
Old 02-28-2005, 08:02 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bow-ties are a nickname for Chevrolets (Chivvies)...
Old 02-28-2005, 08:28 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Given the signture line that TH puts at the bottom of each of his posts, I thought I had better answer this one.

Honk, honk, honk, honkity honk. Kayak, kayak, kayak.
No need to work so hard...I already had you covered and your handle is most appropriate.

Nothing exotic here, just my cats initials...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:33 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

[quote=TH Nothing exotic here, just my cats initials...[/quote]

About the same here TH.
Shredder was my best friend, backpacking companion, house hold comedian, and now is in doggy heaven. So I honor his memory with my username...Shredder
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:50 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is a wizwheelz tadpole (2 front wheels) trike.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:13 AM   #27

Quote:
About the same here TH.
Shredder was my best friend, backpacking companion, house hold comedian, and now is in doggy heaven. So I honor his memory with my username...Shredder
Ok, so you're not a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fan?
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 11:37 AM   #28

I lived with my mom past age 18, and a coworker started calling me "Big Money" due to my lack of financial obligations--at the time I did spend quite free of care. I resurrected the nickname much later for Motley Fool use even though I was swimming in debt at the time (but long out of Mom's house). I think "BigMoney" was taken so I added "Jim" to it.

I guess the real answer is that I'm not creative when it comes to usernames so I tend to grab anything. We're lucky I'm not "Viewsonic" or "Doritos" after random objects on my desk.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:13 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

My sister's kids actually read the copies of Bogle's 1994 book I gave them - in contrast to my sister - hence the moniker unclemick. The 2 arrived when I graduated to the 'big time' got an actual computer and unplugged my webtv.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:00 PM   #30

Several years ago, when I was working as a Director of Engineering, I engaged an HR VP in a debate about the salaries the company was currently paying the engineers who worked in my organization. (They were seriously underpaid.) I had done a massive amount of research into salaries of RF engineers across the country and had developed charts comparing average pay of engineers with equivalent experience and qualifiations to those that were working with me. The HR VP was very poorly prepared. My new staff witnessed the exchange and when HR came up with very significant raises several weeks later, my staff produced an award with the title Salary Guru on it. That same evening is when I first discovered The Motley Fool Boards and had to choose a username to participate. I was very pleased with myself for the "victory" for my organization and used the name.

Of course, in reality, my presentation and confrontation with HR probably had no effect. The reason the requested raise money showed up is because two new companies moved into town and were trying to recruit people who worked for me. HR feared that there would be an exodus of talent if compensation were not improved. . . But I was very honored and pleased by the gesture my staff made. So even though the name seems pretty lame sometimes and is really kinda outa place on an early retirement board, I've just stuck with it.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 05:03 AM   #31

[deleted jerk posting that was not by Cut-Throat but someone pretending to be him]
Old 03-01-2005, 06:25 AM   #32

Cut-Throat:

I think you crossed the line with that post.

Grumpy
Old 03-01-2005, 06:38 AM   #33

Quote:
Cut-Throat:

I think you crossed the line with that post.

* * *Grumpy
Note that it wasn't the "real" Cut-Throat. *It's somebody logged on as a guest impersonating him and posting defamatory messages. *It's one of the big problems with allowing "guest" posting (as well as the spammers with their make money fast stuff).

Perhaps, "somebody" thought that he'd teach Cut-Throat a lesson? It's a pretty lame and cowardly thing to do.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:01 AM   #34

Quote:

Note that it wasn't the "real" Cut-Throat. *It's somebody logged on as a guest impersonating him and posting defamatory messages. *It's one of the big problems with allowing "guest" posting (as well as the spammers with their make money fast stuff).

Perhaps, "somebody" thought that he'd teach Cut-Throat a lesson? *It's a pretty lame and cowardly thing to do.
This is disturbing. I hate to see this kind of thing happening here. Not only is it lame and cowardly, it wasn't even funny.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 09:05 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's one of the big problems with allowing "guest" posting (as well as the spammers with their make money fast stuff).
TH once said that it is possible to identify these guest posters. I would like that to be done in this case, and that person banned permanently.

This is a very tolerant group, but this post is a cowardly and mean spirited act. I doubt it bothers a confident person like CT in the slightest, but it nevertheless remains a blight on the board.

In the past I have sometimes wondered who "guest" was in some situation where it appeared that "guest" was posting an idea that he didn't feel brave enough to say openly.

It might cut down traffic a bit, but I at least would support stopping guest-poster functionality.

I don't like anonymous sneaks.

Mikey
Old 03-01-2005, 09:37 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I gotta agree with that Mikey. It doesn't take much to register. A person could even register under different 'handles'...if he had multiple personalities.

Beachbumz
Old 03-01-2005, 09:45 AM   #37

Quote:
TH once said that it is possible to identify these guest posters. I would like that to be done in this case, and that person banned permanently.
You can but only to a certain extent without lawsuits and search warrants. *If you look at the bottom right hand corner of your post you will see that your post was "Logged". *That means that your IP (Internet Protocol) address was logged. *So, if you have a static IP (one that never changes) then you can be identified. *These are not very common.

Many ISPs (Internet Service Providers) have pools of IP addresses and give you one randomly from the pool when you connect. *The pool is usually of a certain batch of numbers so we might be able to narrow it down to someone who posted from a certain ISP in Michigan for example. *To get closer than that with certainty will require going to that ISP with a search warrant (not likely in this case) and getting them to divulge from their records which customer was using that IP at the time the message was posted. *Even then it might have been a library that was a customer of the ISP and you would then need to get a search warrant to get them to divulge who was using the computer at that time (if they keep records).

Now you could ban everybody from that pool but then you might be catching a lot of innocent people in that net. *What if the IP address was from one of the big ISPs and it could have been anyone of their customers in a 5 state area?

Going to no guest posting would cut down on this (and the spammers) but it wouldn't prevent it. *It just makes it more of a hassle - the registration process, creating another free email address, verifying etc. *Probably would cut the bulk of the crap though.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:16 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Banning IP addresses doesnt work, mostly because many dialup users get a different one every time. I can change mine even on my cable modem with ease...just alter the hardware mac address of the router to the address of some old network card I have in a box (you do NOT want to pick one at random and have it be the same as some other device somewhere on the internet). When that happens, comcast delivers me a brand new IP address. I can flip it back to the original or to another bogus one in a couple of days and get another brand new one.

But given the info these sites can log, unless you have software that prevents it a web site can tell your IP address, the hardware address of your router or computers network card, the kind of computer you have, the browser you're running, the version of windows and browser, potentially your windows 'machine name', etc. Unless you're running firewalls and virus software that inhibits scripts, or has internet exploder running in a high security mode (most people dont), you can execute scripts on the users machine that can tell you anything at all.

The funny not so secret part of the internet is that you are very freakin' far from anonymous. Even if you use anonymous proxy servers, your ISP and/or those anonymous proxies will give your identity up in a heartbeat if a requester appears to be a legitimate site owner that can show harrassment or illegal activities have been committed. These guys dont want problems. In many cases you dont even need any warrants or legal documents...just a documented case of the ill behavior. A lot of ISP's will not "give you up" completely on the first instance, but will very possibly terminate the dickheads service.

If you remain on-line and with the same IP address as posting...a lot of fun stuff can be done. My kidding with Charles isnt so far fetched...on one similar board a couple of years ago we had a troll that was out of control. Was very certain that he was very anonymous and had himself a good time. One of my co-moderators (yes, some people have actually let ME moderate a bbs...) who is very technically proficient took a couple of hours of time, tracked the guy down, and posted his name, address and a satellite photo of his house.

He stopped.

Now these guest postings can stop too, as it sounds like there is sufficient impetus for us to ask Dory to make this a registration-only board. Not that it would make a huge difference...its not that much harder to make up a fake hotmail address, register with it, and act like a 12 year old. Although you can restrict email domains to say 'no hotmail/gmail/yahoo mail', there are always little anonymous emailers that can be used.

Like anything else, its almost impossible to control. Be nice to have some moderation applied and these posts deleted.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 10:42 AM   #39

Quote:
But given the info these sites can log, unless you have software that prevents it a web site can tell your IP address, the hardware address of your router or computers network card, the kind of computer you have, the browser you're running, the version of windows and browser, potentially your windows 'machine name', etc. *Unless you're running firewalls and virus software that inhibits scripts, or has internet exploder running in a high security mode (most people dont), you can execute scripts on the users machine that can tell you anything at all.
Yup that's true of a large percentage of the browsing public. It doesn't have to be. If anybody is still running Exploder then they should seriously consider Firefox - http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
Old 03-01-2005, 11:20 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Adventuregirl was given to me by my DBF. We met on a blind date, both appropriately dressed for dinner. He mentioned that he hoped to meet a girl who wasn't afraid of a little adventure. Next meeting, I took him hiking. He said when he saw me waiting for him in the parking lot in my "Adventuregirl outfit" (signature ball cap, hiking boots, and backpack), he was smitten....