Re: Why did you choose that handle?
Old 03-01-2005, 12:36 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, I hope everybody knows it is me when I post
something.

I tried to register early on and had some sort of
computer problem. Not being totally computer
savy I just gave up and post as a guest.

BTW, I always use my real E-mail address if anybody
wants to bitch at me in private.

Cheers,

Charlie

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2005, 12:54 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Notice how Cut disagrees with a dirty bird here and now this crap. Hope it stops now........Shredder

Old 03-01-2005, 12:54 PM   #43

Indymom here.
I sign on as a guest when I post from my part-time job.
Too much trouble to log in.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:13 PM   #44

I tried to reregister under Chuck-Lyn using my
wife's email. ..... it seemed to work OK.

Then I logged on and tried to post as a member.

Got this message saying something like
"somebody else is using that name" or somesuch.

Over a year ago I tried to register under "Charlie"
and had the same problem.

Now I can't even seem to post as a guest under
"Chuck-Lyn"

I really screwed the pooch seems like.

Cheers,

Charlie
Old 03-01-2005, 01:28 PM   #45
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

The post is being deleted as soon as I send this.

As mentioned, I can see the IP address that was used, and for what it's worth, it does not look like anyone using that IP or an IP in a nearby range has posted recently (thus it is not likely any of the regulars who post as guests).

Also FWIW, the post was made by someone logged in through an ISP in Broomfield CO.

I didn't block the IP, for the reasons outlined by others.

Blocking non-registered-posts is possible, but we have a good half dozen or more active pseudo-members who post as guests for whatever reason.

Another alternative is to switch to an email list with searchable archives. People could read whatever they want in the archives, but post only after joining with at least a working email address. Members could get posts one by one, or in a daily batch.

Or we can just ignore him and hope he goes away.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 01:42 PM   #46

This is a test for posting under "Charlie"
Old 03-01-2005, 02:02 PM   #47
Developer of FIRECalc

I had purchased a boat, already named "Dory", and was planning to retire onto the boat. When I joined the old TMF ER forum (before they started charging), Dory was taken. The boat was 36' long, so I chose Dory36.

(Dory is now in the capable hands of a good friend who bought her. I made the avatar to razz him about his skills in handling the boat.)

Dory36, now a dirt dweller.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
Old 03-01-2005, 04:42 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

I use the handle "Yelnad" all over the internet and have for about 14 years (just before the net came to be even). It's my maiden name backwards.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:45 PM   #49

This is not charlie. But I pretend to be him on the web.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:36 PM   #50

Quote:
I use the handle "Yelnad" all over the internet and have for about 14 years (just before the net came to be even). It's my maiden name backwards.
The internet has been around a lot longer than 14 years (perhaps as long as 35 years). You might be meaning the web which is only about 14 years old (depending on when you count it's creation). Invented by a European working at CERN - the European particle acclerator.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:15 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep, I remember hooking up DECsystem10's together with orange juice cans and string back in the 70's to the arpanet. I think we had 300baud working pretty well with something resembling flow control but not a lot of luck at 1200.

However the vast majority of people are unaware of arpanet and milnet and just think of the internet as that thing that showed up in the early 90's.

Dory, you've had an even and fair hand so far, whatever you decide will be the right thing. Do you still sway on dry land? Thats the part that I found funny about being on a boat for a long time...getting off and walking funny for an hour or two before I got it right.

We could always have an "early retirement" get-together in Broomfield and glare at everyone until someone looks guilty and uncomfortable.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 06:43 PM   #52

Hey Hyper, I thought Gore invented the web.

Cheers,

Charlie
Old 03-01-2005, 07:35 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Yep, I remember hooking up DECsystem10's together with orange juice cans and string back in the 70's to the arpanet. *I think we had 300baud working pretty well with something resembling flow control but not a lot of luck at 1200.
*sniff* I wish I could have been there for that. Too young. Since computers have invaded every aspect of our lives, all of the 'magic' is gone it seems. I miss the 80s and early 90s.... THOSE were the great days of computing IMO
Old 03-01-2005, 08:14 PM   #54

Quote:
Hey Hyper, I thought Gore invented the web.
IIRC Gore wrote one of the bills that funded the early ARPANet.

TH
Quote:
However the vast majority of people are unaware of arpanet and milnet and just think of the internet as that thing that showed up in the early 90's.
Yup and ever since it's been "September all the time".

I remember the early days to some degree though I'm not quite as old as you though I was precocious. I got a UUCP connection set up long ago when the rules were basically an honour system. If somebody gave you a feed then you were obligated to pass it on down to a few more sites.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:29 PM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

*sniff* I wish I could have been there for that. Too young. Since computers have invaded every aspect of our lives, all of the 'magic' is gone it seems. I miss the 80s and early 90s.... THOSE were the great days of computing IMO *
I can tell you that the crappy computer conventions back then were a major hoot. You walked from booth to booth to see visionaries creating really impressive stuff that laid the groundwork for what we take for granted today.

I remember the guy (Russ something or other) who was the first guy who crafted up a graphics card for an S-100 bus machine...the merlin. He used to let me borrow his suzuki ricegrinder every now and then in exchange for some time with the different boxes we had in the computer store so he could work out compatibility problems. I wrote a crappy 20 line 8080 assembler program that turned the bits on and off. Called it "ants in sugar". I was majorly surprised when a half dozen people paid me $30 a pop for a snippet of code that turned some bits on and off through an i/o port.

I remember the guy who went on to invent Suns microprocessor architecture. Wish I could remember his name...but he looked exactly like Jim Cramer.

I remember hanging out with Neil Colvin, who wrote software for Xitan and Technical Design Labs and went on to write the first BIOS and start Phoenix Technologies...and then going in 10 years later to sell him his companies first local area network.

Knowing what piece of code was on a tarbell cassette by the specific screeching it made. The first 90kb floppy disks. The first 5mb hard drives. The first time we played with dynamic ram (in the early apple machines) and how we distrusted its nature and how often the chips burned up.

(enough boring the non nerds). We've come a long way in a short time...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 01:47 AM   #56
Developer of FIRECalc

OK, for those who have a problem logging in...

OK, almost for sure it is something called "cookies" that are causing the problem.

A quick bit of useless tech info: under normal circumstances, a web site does not store information about you on the site itself. (By "you" I mean such things as your login name.) So how does the posting page of a site know that you have already logged in on a previous page?

A web site does this by storing notes to itself, called cookies, on your computer. So when you go to a page on the forum, the first thing that happens, invisible to you, is that the page sends a message to your computer saying, in effect, "do you have any notes for me that I may have left the last time I was here?"

Those really concerned with privacy sometimes recommend disabling cookies, so that when you go to a web site, it cannot retrieve anything about your last visit there. Personally, I believe this is hooey, because if the web site programmer wanted your info, he'd capture it and store it in a database on HIS computer, not in a cookie on yours - and you'd never know. But because of the privacy uproar, Internet browsers let you turn off cookies.

The result is logins don't work, you can't see what messages have been read and which are new, and so forth.

So... enable cookies and I expect you'll be fine. To do so, see http://scholar.google.com/cookies.html.

Dory36

Old 03-02-2005, 02:20 AM   #57
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
Yep, I remember hooking up DECsystem10's together with orange juice cans and string back in the 70's to the arpanet. *I think we had 300baud working pretty well with something resembling flow control but not a lot of luck at 1200.
As long as everyone is on memory lane, the clash between the DEC10/20 world and the world of the PC probably had more to do with where I wound up in life than anything. A dean at the university where I was a grad student was going to try and write a book using a 300 baud line and the DEC computer, while on sabattical in England. I told him to buy a microcomputer instead (don't think the term PC was in use until a few years later). So I wound up writing a file transfer program between a DEC10/20 and the CP/M operating system of his microcomputer, and porting a version of EMACS to the micro. *

Did I get any kudos for that? Of course not. *But the night before he was to fly to England, and he is furiously downloading all his material onto 80kb hard-sectored floppies, he needed to format some new floppies. The typical "This will erase everything, are you sure?" message popped up, and the floppies were never formatted when he typed "y". I suggested capital "Y", which worked. For this, he decided I was a computer genius. We went our separate ways.

By chance, he became my boss years later, and years after that he was on the board of directors of a company I went to work for.

All in all, 80% or more of the jobs I had were directly or indirectly related to that capital "Y". And I just guessed that that, knowing that lower case was pretty new to microcomputers at that point, and suspecting that the operating system wasn't yet checking for lower case.

I probably retired the last DEC 10 running; I got hired to run a medical school computer center in about 1987, and they still had a couple of DEC 10s as their primary computers. *We immediately retired those and paid for their replacements with the maintenance savings in the first 3-4 months.

Dory36

Old 03-02-2005, 03:39 AM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

Great story, Dory36.

It brings to mind the Woody Allen line about how "90 percent of success in life comes from just showing up." It sounds like such a small thing, but if you want to make things happen in this world, showing up really does make a big difference. It's critical.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:27 AM   #59

Quote:
Those really concerned with privacy sometimes recommend disabling cookies, so that when you go to a web site, it cannot retrieve anything about your last visit there. Personally, I believe this is hooey, because if the web site programmer wanted your info, he'd capture it and store it in a database on HIS computer, not in a cookie on yours - and you'd never know. *But because of the privacy uproar, Internet browsers let you turn off cookies.
There is a potential security issue to this though and it's not usually the site that you surf to that's the problem. It's the advertising on the site that might be the problem. They too can store cookies on your machine and of course read those cookies back. When you visit many different sites that the same advertiser has ads on they can track that you've visited those other pages and build up a profile of what kind of pages you visit. Security issue or not? Depends.

What I would recommend is the half-way point. Turn cookies on to be "accepted only from the site that you browse to". Don't turn on "accept all cookies". The exact wording of these options will vary depending on your browser.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:35 PM   #60
Dryer sheet aficionado

Well, I'd rather be fishn than working. I also use this name because most people assume I'm a guy when I do.