Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #61
Administrator

I see the problem. Folks can hide lots of info in their profile info in Profile Privacy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (74.4 KB, 9 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I hope your current avatar doesn't give the impression that you're an ass...
Hey - did I forget to push submit? I had this great post about aspiring to donkey-dom and extolling the hidden virtues of the unassuming ass. even had a picture of a dinkey hauling a heavy load with grace and good humour:

A donkey carrying a heavy load on a Medina street, Fes | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

check the ears and feet - that donkey is making no big deal of the block load.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Interesting, I thought everyone could see the About Me tab.

Here is a link to my profile. Can you see the About Me tab?

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community - View Profile: Alan
Yes, and I have seen many others too. I just don't seem to be able to see ob-gyn's.

Ha
Old 11-09-2010, 06:57 PM   #64
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Yes, and I have seen many others too. I just don't seem to be able to see ob-gyn's.

Ha

obgyn must have "about me" restricted
Old 11-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
haha, I never knew your name is Mikey. I saw that in your old posts in the gold topic that Martha linked.
"Oh Mickey, you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind" (yeah I know it's Mikey not Mickey, but hey close enough)

Old 11-09-2010, 08:10 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Maybe I don't know where to look, but under profile you have nothing. And your gender is not clear to me- often ob-gyns are women, but not always.

Ha
Me too. Maybe he/she just hasn't entered it yet.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Me too. Maybe he/she just hasn't entered it yet.
Or he/she chose the "undisclosed" option...
Old 11-09-2010, 08:23 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Hope your avatar doesn't mean you're like this Nords...
On my submarines we used to refer to those as "wardroom planning meetings".

On our FITREPs that behavior would be described as "a forceful and outspoken leader who makes the most of every opportunity". I'm pretty sure that's a good thing-- at least that's what my XO told me.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe I don't know where to look, ...

Ha
haha, if you don't know where to look to determine someone's gender, I'm going to have to re-read a bunch of your posts in a whole new light!

PM if you need a clue

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Don't you know there is nothing like a Dame?

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Don't you know there is nothing like a Dame?
Yep...
Old 11-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

You can see a person's gender (well, what they say they are) if you go to the Community tab, then choose Members list. Type in the name and it will show you some info (including gender) on the page.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:55 PM   #73
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegs View Post
(snip) Why is this disconcerting? Do you sense it's made a difference in your interractions with others on the forum?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Why is this important to you?

To paraphrase MLK:
A posts should be judged by the quality and content of the post, not the sex of the poster.
I think it was because I couldn't figure out what I was doing that could create an impression of maleness. I was mistaken once for a man in person, but there wasn't anything mysterious about it. It was when I was on the land surveying crew, and at the time I was wearing a puffy jacket, hard hat, safety vest, steel-toed shoes & a decidedly mannish short haircut—and the person who made the mistake was coming from behind me. I know why that person got it wrong, but I couldn't figure out why people online were.

I didn't think anyone was treating my comments differently because of this mixup—it was just that I couldn't explain it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Another theory, totally baseless: your board name feels like a first initial and last name, like JSmith1949. I haven't "met" many women using that format yet quite a few men seem to do so by convention. In fact, my own "fast signature" -- the one I use to sign on scores of paperwork daily, was in effect "RTampa."

Maybe that format "seemed" male to many members.

Heck, I don't have a clue. But if it bothers you, lots of good suggestions above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Kyounge, I've known you are a female for quite a while, but my original impression was male. I think Rich nailed it for me, it was the name format. It just looked like a male screen name to me, for whatever reason. And the cookies weren't the giveaway you might have thought. Everybody (except the occasional mutant) loves chocolate chip cookies. (snip)
That is an interesting idea. In fact, my board name is my first initial and surname. I've used it many places since my very beginnings online, because other people online used similar names. I had no idea that it was a "male" format.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:57 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
"Why do people online think I'm a guy?"

I guess they aren't paying attention? I have always thought of you as a woman, if that makes you feel any better. Absolutely, unequivocably female, an outspoken woman with strong and interesting opinions.

In contrast, I thought that both CuppaJoe and Khan were men, at first, when really they are women as well. It is sometimes difficult to tell, online, especially when a woman is confident and secure in her own identity and also primarily discusses topics other than lingerie, cooking, pets, and bacon, for example.
That's only my online persona. I person I'm a mealy-mouthed milquetoast.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:03 AM   #75

Hello Ha - Under "User CP", "Your profile", "Edit your details", I selected my gender.

Not sure why it's not showing when you click on it, Ha, but I can see the change under "About me" now... Maybe we have to wait some time for the server to save the data, I don't know (again I am not a computer expert).

Quote:
Maybe I don't know where to look, but under profile you have nothing. And your gender is not clear to me- often ob-gyns are women, but not always.

Ha
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:08 AM   #76

OK - I have unrestricted access to my profile now. My fault, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
obgyn must have "about me" restricted
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #77

I am female but my name is neither male nor female specific so I'm often called "Mr." I find it more amusing than irritating, ESP. when I was at MegaCorp in a very male-dominated career. I often answered my own phone, and always got a kick out of hearing some self-important putz call and demand to speak to MR. Achiever, claiming to be a close personal friend. Sometimes I'd wait a second before replying that my husband MR. Achiever was not employed at Megacorp, but could be reached at xxx-xxx-xxxx. I would then hang up and wait for the inevitable follow up call and apology about assuming I was "just" MR. Achiever's secretary, or heaven forbid, "his girl," rather than a female in the job. It was hilarious to hear the bluster from these idiots.

I know. My bad. Heh, heh, heh!
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:24 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
That's only my online persona. I person I'm a mealy-mouthed milquetoast.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
I am female but my name is neither male nor female specific so I'm often called "Mr." I find it more amusing than irritating, ESP. when I was at MegaCorp in a very male-dominated career. I often answered my own phone, and always got a kick out of hearing some self-important putz call and demand to speak to MR. Achiever, claiming to be a close personal friend. Sometimes I'd wait a second before replying that my husband MR. Achiever was not employed at Megacorp, but could be reached at xxx-xxx-xxxx. I would then hang up and wait for the inevitable follow up call and apology about assuming I was "just" MR. Achiever's secretary, or heaven forbid, "his girl," rather than a female in the job. It was hilarious to hear the bluster from these idiots.
Nothing spins my spouse up faster than getting official military correspondence addressed to the two of us using her rank "... and Mrs. Nords".

She's also had to re-educate a few unlucky cold-callers who knew how to pronounce military ranks but were seemingly unaware that they could apply to women as well as to men.

But today my favorite phone calls are the ones where I happen to answer, they assume I'm the one they want and start addressing me on their extremely important military issue, and they eventually call me by my spouse's rank. It gives me great pleasure to say "Oh, hold on, you must be calling for my wife..."

At least the people who used to call her "sir" seem to have met their inevitable premature demise. That hasn't happened in a long time.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #80
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I rather like people not being able to discern my gender online. Lack of any identifiers excepted what is posted tends to level the field.