Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Two physician friends of mine were married to each other. He (Dr. XY) was an anesthesiologist, she (Dr. XX) was a family doc. She went to a conference and he came along as the accompanying spouse. He received a large package of material addressed to "Mrs. XX".

He enjoyed the sewing classes!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Back when online forums were new, I received several PMs from people purporting to be women, who wanted me to be aware that they had been surprised to learn I was a woman (I'd mentioned my sex in a post). All along, they had assumed I was a man. Of course I asked why. The answers were all on the order of "You seemed so well-informed and sure of yourself."

Apparently, real women were expected to precede every statement with 'I know this may sound stupid, but....'

It's weird to look back and consider the ways in which women have been socialized.

Amethyst (whose sex, not gender, is female).
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Back when online forums were new, I received several PMs from people purporting to be women, who wanted me to be aware that they had been surprised to learn I was a woman (I'd mentioned my sex in a post).
When you mention sex in a post you're setting yourself up for all sorts of PMs...
Old 11-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #84
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Back when online forums were new, I received several PMs from people purporting to be women, who wanted me to be aware that they had been surprised to learn I was a woman (I'd mentioned my sex in a post). All along, they had assumed I was a man. Of course I asked why. The answers were all on the order of "You seemed so well-informed and sure of yourself."

Apparently, real women were expected to precede every statement with 'I know this may sound stupid, but....'

It's weird to look back and consider the ways in which women have been socialized.

So true.

I've been online since mammoths roamed the web.

My day job was programming since '82.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, so what about you, bragging in your .sig line about how HARD your numbers is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
When you mention sex in a post you're setting yourself up for all sorts of PMs...
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:58 PM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, so what about you, bragging in your .sig line about how HARD your numbers is....
Check your PMs...
Old 11-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I rather like people not being able to discern my gender online. Lack of any identifiers excepted what is posted tends to level the field.
That's too bad.

I usually pay more attention to posts from women.

Just because...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:47 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

This is totally foreign to me, a girl (wait, can I use that instead of woman or female?), so I had to look it up.
In case there are other neanderthals among us that, like me, had no idea these two terms require differentiation, here are some official words from the World Health Organization:

What do we mean by "sex" and "gender"?

Sometimes it is hard to understand exactly what is meant by the term "gender", and how it differs from the closely related term "sex".
"Sex" refers to the biological and physiological characteristics that define men and women.
"Gender" refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviours, activities, and attributes that a given society considers appropriate for men and women.
To put it another way:
"Male" and "female" are sex categories, while "masculine" and "feminine" are gender categories.

Source: WHO | What do we mean by "sex" and "gender"?

Dang, I learn something new every day around here!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #89
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
This is totally foreign to me, a girl (wait, can I use that instead of woman or female?), so I had to look it up.
In case there are other neanderthals among us that, like me, had no idea these two terms require differentiation, here are some official words from the World Health Organization:

What do we mean by "sex" and "gender"?

Sometimes it is hard to understand exactly what is meant by the term "gender", and how it differs from the closely related term "sex".
"Sex" refers to the biological and physiological characteristics that define men and women.
"Gender" refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviours, activities, and attributes that a given society considers appropriate for men and women.
To put it another way:
"Male" and "female" are sex categories, while "masculine" and "feminine" are gender categories.

Source: WHO | What do we mean by "sex" and "gender"?

Dang, I learn something new every day around here!
And one can pay a high price for not conforming.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:21 AM   #90
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
"Why do people online think I'm a guy?"

I guess they aren't paying attention? I have always thought of you as a woman, if that makes you feel any better. Absolutely, unequivocably female, an outspoken woman with strong and interesting opinions.

In contrast, I thought that both CuppaJoe and Khan were men, at first, when really they are women as well. It is sometimes difficult to tell, online, especially when a woman is confident and secure in her own identity and also primarily discusses topics other than lingerie, cooking, pets, and bacon, for example.
That's only my online persona. I person I'm a mealy-mouthed milquetoast.
No, I really meant it. Or at least, I am much more outspoken and forceful when writing on the forum than I am verbally in person.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:46 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

When online poker was new and still legal, and I still played it, my screenname was HeatherHi, I expected to be played differently (Men try to bluff woman more and also assume they play more conservatively) and wasn't disappointed. But eventhough you could check my real gender easily enough, between living in Hawaii and being a girl that played poker, I got lots of proposals. Once I had to invite a Marine husband to stop the guy on his way to Hawaii that wanted to meet me...
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:08 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Once I had to invite a Marine husband to stop the guy on his way to Hawaii that wanted to meet me...
Come on now clifp. I find it hard to think a guy would do that if you did not post a glamour shot of "yourself" as enticement. And how would the guy find where you lived?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:31 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Must not comment........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Check your PMs...
I think this "PM" falls under the category of "public domain" and should be shared openly. For the good of the group, that is.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
When online poker was new and still legal, and I still played it, my screenname was HeatherHi, I expected to be played differently (Men try to bluff woman more and also assume they play more conservatively) and wasn't disappointed. But eventhough you could check my real gender easily enough, between living in Hawaii and being a girl that played poker, I got lots of proposals.
Well, damn, now I want my $35,000 back, and when are you going to return the ring I sent you?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I think this "PM" falls under the category of "public domain" and should be shared openly. For the good of the group, that is.
This is about the only downside of turning in a moderator's badge...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #96
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Not sure what you mean Nords, but the moderators on this site can't see any PM's other than their own.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
If the moderator's badge let us read other people's PMs (of course no one has access to them other than the sender and the recipient), Andy would have to pay us a whole lot more!!!
Old 11-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
If the moderator's badge let us read other people's PMs (of course no one has access to them other than the sender and the recipient), Andy would have to pay us a whole lot more!!!
Or a whole lot less, as your psychic income would take a huge boost.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #99
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Not sure what you mean Nords, but the moderators on this site can't see any PM's other than their own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Oh, sure, I get it remember now, that's true, you're absolutely right, I stand corrected!

You've probably also found all of BMJ's back-door logins and OAP's other user accounts...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #100
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, I have worked with computers for 37 years, and there is/are somebody/somebodies associated with these forums that can read PM's. Somebody has to debug things when they break.
Hopefully these somebodies are ethical.

Edit:
To some people computers and networks are magical black boxes. To the rest of us they are just electronic devices and infrastructure that behave in a very predictable way. For just about every computer, server, program, or network element, there are people who, with the proper tools and access, can see *ANY* data in a system. This is a requirement of making the system function properly and diagnosing and fixing problems.

I was trying to say that in this post:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post990457

If there is a process that can receive your PM and forward it to the intended recipient, there is a process by which an individual with access can view it.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote