Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Why do people start collections?
Old 03-06-2007, 03:32 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OK, as long as we're getting sentimental........ and fishermen on the board will probably appreciate this.....

My dad was a great outdoorsman. When he, mom and I would go "up nort" in the summer, he'd bring two tackle boxes: one with basics for him and I to use and one with the "good stuff" that, as a kid, I hardly ever saw the inside of.

About twenty years ago, a few years before he died, he decided to throw in the towel on fishing and he gave me all his stuff, even the "good stuff." Wow. Dozens of classic commercial and hand made lures from the 30's, 40's and 50's. Split bamboo musky rods, classic reels.......you name it. All stuff that saw action on northern waters gotten to on gravel roads where we now have interstates.

I love having it and have been known to sit at my workbench in the garage for an hour or more sucking down a couple of beers and sorting through things and thinking about being with him for my first walleye, my first northern, my first musky, my first smallie. But that same sentiment makes it a bit of an anchor. If I have to part with it, it will be a heart throb.

My own collection of fishing goodies is no issue. It's all stuff I've ordered from Bass Pro, Cabella's, etc., over the past decade or two and has no sentimental value. It could just be given away or tossed.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2007, 03:50 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't know why.

All I know is that the male species likes to collect certain interesting pictures, but they usually keep that hobby a secret.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:58 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Men really are collectors more than women or are our shoes considered collections
Old 03-06-2007, 04:12 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I collect memories and experiences! 8)

I always have room for them.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:48 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Sometimes it's hard to back out of the collecting. Many years ago, one sister decided she liked cows, and cow stuff, and she let people know. So that's what she'd get for birthdays and Christmas, cow aprons, pictures, statues, etc.

So she got too much, and she put out the word, no more cow stuff. But it's not so easy to put the toothpaste back in the tube, and she continues to get cow $hit.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:02 PM   #26

Cut-Throat, I agree about collecting experiences. The best thing to collect. I just hope that my brain agrees with me on that so that I will be able to recall those experiences on down the line. Another reason to keep my pictures safe. Moemg, sounds like you did just fine with Babe Ruth. It would be fun if there was something like that in my pile.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:25 PM   #27

I have an uncle who is mentally ill. Really mentally ill, like going to an insane asylum periodically and being unable to work. He's has had the collecting bug since he was about two years old. One thing at a time for years. For the past ten or fifteen years he has collected Russian nesting dolls. He has no room left in his house. He lives on disability and sometimes spends ALL his money on his collection resulting in no money for gasoline or food. Nice collection, though, if you like that sort of thing.

It's also all he can carry a conversation about.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD
I have an uncle who is mentally ill. Really mentally ill, like going to an insane asylum periodically and being unable to work. He's has had the collecting bug since he was about two years old. One thing at a time for years. For the past ten or fifteen years he has collected Russian nesting dolls. He has no room left in his house. He lives on disability and sometimes spends ALL his money on his collection resulting in no money for gasoline or food. Nice collection, though, if you like that sort of thing.

It's also all he can carry a conversation about.

Mike D.
Just shoot me!
Old 03-06-2007, 09:20 PM   #29

I'm part collector...part pack rat.

My main collecting revolves around my model railroading hobby...and some prototype stuff like RR lanterns. I also have a fairly large library...3000-4000 books....I'm working at whittling that down bit by bit....I've cleared out about 1000 books so far. I have a nice workshop FULL of all sorts of tools (power and hand) and I love to go out there and tinker around. I also used to really be "into" computers, and have all sorts of parts, cases, etc.

After I leave my j*b behind next month, I plan on starting to really "clean & toss". I have a friend that owns a disposal company, and I'm going to have him drop off a dumpster. I'm going to "dumpsterize" ALOT of sh*t!!!
Old 03-06-2007, 09:29 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

FIL used to collect tractors...the real kind. He had some awesome old ones that actually ran. He auctioned them off several years ago...120+ of them. He stored each and every one of them inside. OCD poster boy. He's moved onto pedal and toy tractors. Easily has over 1000 toy and probably that many pedal tractors. It's insane.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:14 PM   #31

DW collected tins, tin trays, tin boxes, you name it and we had it. About 30 years worth of collecting and it was slowly taking over the whole house. Every square inch of storage space was taken over by boxes of tins. We had well over 1800 tins.

About a year ago she decided to get rid of them. But how? Ebay is full of tins and a few collectors will pick them up but won't pay much when they have to pay shipping. After a number of adds in the paper that brought only a few buyers she was about to haul them all to the dump. I know she was more than a little disappointed that her whole collection really wasn't worth what she thought.

We finally came up with the idea of donating them to charity. A few phone calls at work got me in contact with the people that organize the United Way Campaign each fall. To make a long story short, they had a silent auction on line and we got rid of almost all the tins. The auction made almost $2000 for the United Way.

The collection is now down to something we can handle, jpg files on the web.

http://mrcol.freeyellow.com/tins/

And if you think she got rid of all the tins, guess again. There are still a few boxes lurking under the basement steps. :P

Old 03-06-2007, 10:20 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

I have no comprehension of 'collecting'.

As someone else mentioned: 'collecting money is a good thing'.

"Everybody else's stuff is s*** and your s*** is stuff."
- George Carlin
Old 03-07-2007, 07:39 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan
You could donate it:

http://makingmemories.org/brides_aga...st_cancer.html

(or look for local organizations)
Wow - great idea. I didn't feel too happy about giving it to Value Village - but it never occurred to me that there would be charities that could profit from it. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:47 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHoney

The collection is now down to something we can handle, jpg files on the web.

http://mrcol.freeyellow.com/tins/

And if you think she got rid of all the tins, guess again. There are still a few boxes lurking under the basement steps. :P

That's a lot of tins!
I learned quickly to collect things that are hard to find.
I have a small house.

I didn't mention I also went through clock collecting phase. Most were owned by my grandmother, or collected by my great uncle. Sentimental value again. I have about (had to count - never have before) 12 - a couple in each room. S.O. put the kibosh on chiming and cuckooing though.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:50 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired
Oh Sheryl...I feel your pain.

I really know where you're coming from. When my mother died, my husband and I took a U-Haul TRUCK and picked up all of her things and stored them in our garage.

I am not a museum curator for past generations.
Good way to look at it!

I don't have a basement or a garage, and am 2500 miles away, so my brother is going to bear the brunt of it, when it finally happens.

Someone once suggested taking photos of all the things you are having a hard time parting with - then you only have to store a photo album and can look back at the memories any time you are inclined...
Old 03-07-2007, 08:04 AM   #36

I was the executor for my aunt's small estate a few years ago. I have a few pictures of her things for my memories....and of course some of the real stuff too. It really is hard dealing with everyone's belonging after they pass on. I think another reason that I am parting ways with many things right now is so my daughter won't have to when the time come. Geez...I'm only 56 Oh well, it's for my peace of mind too.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:11 AM   #37

Also, when my husband was still living, my mother-in-law was always passing out some of her possessions from past generations to her sons. My daughter wasn't interested since she had never met her great grandparents. So, I offered that stuff to my husband's brothers. I hope my mother-in-law was ok with that and I think she was. She is a wonderful woman.