Why do razor blades cost so much?

When you look at the money you could be spending in a year let alone a lifetime of shaving it actually is a semi-profound question. The margins in that industry have been fueling business school case studies for quite awhile.

I believe I learned about this outfit from someone on this board on an earlier thread on this topic. Their "Pace 3" - 3 blades are more than enough - is as good as any of the costly 3-4 blade razors from Gillette or Schick and cartridges are much, much cheaper:

DORCO - Disposable Razors, Shaving Systems, Shavers, 6 Blade, Blades, Cartridges, Cartridge, Mens, Womens

$29.95 years ago...

file_42_12.jpg

I have found that 2 or 3 blades seem to actually work better for me than 4 or 5 blades.

Econ 101 more than 30 years ago. I can still hear my professor: "Razors and Blades!" explaining the phenomenon.

Today's version is computer printers. I recently recycled a fairly new printer because it was cheaper to buy a new printer than a cartridge for the older one.

That is my profound question of the day :cool:

Because that is what people will pay.

Why people pay so much, I have no idea. How about < 10 cents per blade? Is that 'so much'?

Amazon.com: 100 Astra Superior Premium Platinum Double Edge Safety Razor Blades: Beauty

Today's version is computer printers. I recently recycled a fairly new printer because it was cheaper to buy a new printer than a cartridge for the older one.

Careful - the cheap printers typically come with 'starter' cartridges.

-ERD50

-ERD50
Yes, this is very true. I did some study before purchasing.

It wasn't a like for like swap either. Different brands, etc.

Hey---maybe those Duck Dynasty guys are on to something (and no I never watch that show). I get Bic throw-away razors for cheap at Walmart and usually get 2-3 months out of each razor.

The cost of razor blades is what made me decide to go electric many years ago. DH still uses a regular razor with blades. No idea why. You can't cut yourself with an electric - I love that feature !

It's a financial incentive to grow a beard :D
You can also get some fringe benefits: Beard Study Shows Heavy Stubble Makes Men Especially Attractive To Women

I'm a woman. Not shaving is probably going to make me more attractive :blush:

To me the best razors ever are the mach 3.

I used to wax but that is really expensive and really not something I like to do myself. Maybe next month when I am in Guadalajara I will check into lazering, in the end it would probably be cheaper.

Why do razor blades cost so much?

Because people buy them anyway.

Ha

-ERD50

They used to not, the manufacturers caught on to the issue and now give starter cartridges with just enough ink to run a few test pages. :mad:

Many electronic things now it is cheaper to buy a new one that parts, even more so if labor is involved.

The cost of razor blades is what made me decide to go electric many years ago. DH still uses a regular razor with blades. No idea why. You can't cut yourself with an electric - I love that feature !

Unfortunately, when my parents gave me an electric Remington for Christmas in college, I found out that it doesn't give me as close of a shave as a razor. So, I'm stuck with having to use razors for the rest of my life. (and not a big fan of growing facial hair)

However, I use my blades for literally months before changing out, so at least I don't have to spend big bucks on that segment of my "personal/healthcare" section of my budget. :)

A ten pack of Gillette Mach 3 blades costs $14.47 at Walmart. That will last me more than a year.

Why are they so "expensive"?
- Even if I pay twice what I "should" pay, that's just an extra $5/yr.
- Men buy them. On average, men don't don't a lot of comparison shopping for this kind of thing.

Clark Howard is famous for his using the same blade for much longer than it "should" last. So this doesn't address the question of price, but it does address the issue of value: simply dry off your blade with a towel after use, and it will likely last 10 times as long.

Switch to this and you'll never need to buy another razor blade again.

Attachments

• dovo razor.jpg
    dovo razor.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 161
Unfortunately, when my parents gave me an electric Remington for Christmas in college, I found out that it doesn't give me as close of a shave as a razor. So, I'm stuck with having to use razors for the rest of my life. (and not a big fan of growing facial hair)

However, I use my blades for literally months before changing out, so at least I don't have to spend big bucks on that segment of my "personal/healthcare" section of my budget. :)

Definitely don't get a razor-like shave from an electric, and I still by cheap disposables to clean up around the beard, and one or maybe two clean shaves per week. But the convenience and speed in the morning more than make up for that...

Well, the printer example has been going on for 15+ years.

Today's example is the single-serving coffee pod. In fact in investor presentations they refer to the razor/razor blade model as their model.

The last few times I had to buy a printer I looked on eBay or gone to computer fairs to see what OEM printer cartridges for the printer model were selling for. In may cases they are a fraction of the cost of manufacturer cartridges. I have used these type of cartridges for 10+ years and never had a problem.

If you soak the razor blade in a small cup of baby oil it will last much longer

Back
Top Bottom