Join Early Retirement Today

Why Doesn't Everyone Freeze Their Credit?
Old 01-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Why Doesn't Everyone Freeze Their Credit?

Over the last few days I have received emails from Target and a former employer saying that my personal information may have been hacked. It has not really concerned me because my husband and I have our credit frozen with all 3 credit bureaus. We did the freeze several years ago (it is free here in North Carolina). We have had to unfreeze once for a few days and it was really no problem.

With all the stolen identity problems and hacking that is going on, it seems to me that most every should freeze their credit. Why wouldn't someone do this?

Jo Ann
golftrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftrek View Post
Over the last few days I have received emails from Target and a former employer saying that my personal information may have been hacked. It has not really concerned me because my husband and I have our credit frozen with all 3 credit bureaus. We did the freeze several years ago (it is free here in North Carolina). We have had to unfreeze once for a few days and it was really no problem.

With all the stolen identity problems and hacking that is going on, it seems to me that most every should freeze their credit. Why wouldn't someone do this?

Jo Ann
+1
We're in NC and did it free several years ago. Got very long pins to unfreeze, did it once to take advantage of CC rebate for tires. Absolutely no problem. We don't do a lot of "shopping" but have opened Macy's and other CC accounts for the extra 20% off, but we've used those privileges up. I suppose if we change insurance we'd have to unfreeze, but that's all I can imagine needing to do it for.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:50 PM   #3

You are fortunate that NC does not allow the credit bureau to charge for freeze/unfreeze transactions.

I had to pay $10/bureau up front to freeze and then $10 for each temporary or permanent unfreeze.

Small price to pay for the security of knowing that any identity theft attempts will be very limited in scope.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most states allow a charge of up to $10 to freeze or temporarily thaw one's credit report. Why some states charge ten dollars and others are free or as low as three dollars is beyond me.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:00 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Didn't know about the practice, we're looking into it, thanks.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Many years ago, the first time we experienced identify theft, we had ours frozen at the recommendation of the CC "identity theft counselor" (or some title like that) who worked with us to get everything back in order. Because we had been the victims of fraud, there was no charge.

DH applied for a credit card a few months ago, not remembering we had that freeze. A few days later, he received a call from Chase, asking all sorts of questions. The lady explained it was because of the freeze. The card arrived a few days later.

We have purchased 2 or 3 cars, with the freeze in place, and not a thing was ever said. I keep meaning to look into that, though we were happy to get the deals over...painful enough, without anything added in.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:38 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I'm pretty sure everything is frozen this morning...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg temp.JPG (20.4 KB, 12 views)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:46 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

It is probably a good idea and I will look into it as well. I do subscribe to a FICO score change monitoring service. So far that has been worth the money to me to see how the different things we do financially change our FICO score, and at least I would probably be alerted shortly after the fact if someone tried to get credit in our names.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Free credit monitoring -Target
Old 01-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Free credit monitoring -Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftrek View Post
Over the last few days I have received emails from Target...
Jo Ann
We also received email from Target:
Because we value you as a guest and your trust is important to us, Target is offering one year of free credit monitoring to all Target guests who shopped in U.S. stores, through Experian’s® ProtectMyID® product which includes identity theft insurance where available. To receive your unique activation code for this service, please go to creditmonitoring.target.com and register before April 23, 2014

So we setup the free monitoring. It was easy and it included free credit report from Experian. We already have credit card alerts setup, so I hope that we will be OK.

I don't know about the credit freeze option - how good is it if someone has your information and use it to unfreeze it
Old 01-24-2014, 04:46 PM   #10

I have frozen ours and when we did we were given about 10 digit passwords that are required to unfreeze. Not ironclad, but a lot better than having someone with SSN and other data being able to get credit just for the asking.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
I have frozen ours and when we did we were given about 10 digit passwords that are required to unfreeze. Not ironclad, but a lot better than having someone with SSN and other data being able to get credit just for the asking.
10 digit password is good! I will check it out.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #12

I've also been thinking about freezing ours. I don't anticipate a need for credit in the near term and will put this on my to do list.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:40 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Clark Howard's website has a good tutorial on how to freeze your credit with all 3 credit agencies. Check it out.

As for a criminal being able to unfreeze your account, I think it would be difficult. Each agency gives you a code to use in unfreezing. We keep our codes in a very safe place.

I bet if a criminal stoled personal info on someone and tried to steal their identity but found out their credit was frozen, they would give up on that person and move on to the next victim. Criminals are looking for an easy mark. Someone with frozen credit is not an easy mark.

I sleep easier knowing my credit is frozen and a criminal can't easily steal my identity.

Jo Ann
golftrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #14

Not sure I'm understanding. You are freezing with the credit reporting agencies. This stops you from using your credit cards or getting loans without unfreezing? What does this mean exactly?
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:05 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Not sure I'm understanding. You are freezing with the credit reporting agencies. This stops you from using your credit cards or getting loans without unfreezing? What does this mean exactly?

I also have a freeze on my credit report with all 3 agencies. It means that I cannot apply for a new CC or a loan. That also means that anyone pretending to be me cannot apply for a credit card or loan. It has no effect on using the credit cards I already have.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:52 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have CDs with a few financial institutions, and when these mature, I may renew them, or simply shop around for one with a better rate.

Would such activity be negatively impacted if I have a credit freeze in place?

I have no need to get loans ( or any kind ) and do not expect to be applying for new credit cards anymore ( not even store branded cards ), now that I am in ER.
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
I have CDs with a few financial institutions, and when these mature, I may renew them, or simply shop around for one with a better rate.

Would such activity be negatively impacted if I have a credit freeze in place?

I have no need to get loans ( or any kind ) and do not expect to be applying for new credit cards anymore ( not even store branded cards ), now that I am in ER.
I don't believe a credit check is done when you are handing over money to buy a CD. A credit check is done when one is borrowing money, including applying for a CC.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:36 AM   #18

Even though you are not explicitly borrowing money, a credit check is also sometimes done when opening a checking account so that they can offer you "courtesy" overdraft protection..

(At $30 per instance combined with not being able to opt-out, I find the term "courtesy" one of the biggest misnomers ever! LOL)

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:57 AM   #19

Alan, Thank you. I've never heard of this "credit freeze" with the credit report agencies.
Thanks to everyone. I'm learning many financial ideas from this site.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:18 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I set this up a while ago and I agree it provides a good level of security. However, be prepared for the hassle factor to unfreeze it when you least expect it. I got stopped in my tracks trying to open CD's at banks where I didn't already have an account-including Penfed! It's due to the Patriot Act. I also could not view an online social security statement or access my info there without unfreezing it. When you unfreeze you have to call all 3 and pay some fees as well. So while I thought I was in the clear never intending to borrow money again, it was not that simple.
SecretlyFI is offline   Reply With Quote