Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-04-2014, 01:38 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post

I don't mind flying at all. It's the takeoff and landing that is nerve-wracking. I try to sleep through both when I can.
Remember Braniff, the early 80-90s. We had a part time pilot from there that taught part time IT classes for Megacorp. When I told him how afraid I was to fly, those were his words exactly!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Lots of flying haters...

+ Gumby on all points

If it wasn't for flying I would never have met my wife since I never would have interview/moved to Calif since it would have been totally impractical to drive 5 days for a job interview when I already had a job.

And I never would have seen Italy....I love Italy

It's a pain now but it makes it possible to see parts of the world that would otherwise be pretty much out of reach.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:55 PM   #43

I've developed a routine (and learned to tolerate flying) after 12 years of flying Chicago - Phoenix between our house and condo.I fly out early am or late pm to avoid the airport crowds and traffic. I generally only take my backpack with camera stuff and my iPad, to avoid baggage check. I fly Southwest, and always get a window or aisle seat. Watch a movie on the iPad, take a nap, and I'm there.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Air travel is one of the wonders of modern life. It's relatively inexpensive and remarkably safe. Sure, there are more unpleasant aspects to air travel now than there were 20 years ago, but I still find it amazing to get on a plane and within hours, go from snow to warm weather or to a completely different culture and continent.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
If I never have to fly again it will be too soon. I absolutely hate it.
Me too.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:14 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Remember Braniff, the early 80-90s.
I recall flying Braniff in the early 70's. Less than $20 to fly between Houston Hobby and and Dallas Love. No lines, no security checks, no crowds and good service. I remember once I was able to arrive at the airport (Hobby) with only about 15mins before the flight was scheduled to leave. I was able to buy a ticket and board the plane with time to spare. (not a lot of time
Old 09-04-2014, 09:31 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Southwest is what we have been flying to see DS in Dallas (and woohoo starting in October, nonstop to Chicago!). I keep telling myself that if we use any other airlines to go anywhere else, we are going business class--we'll see if we really follow through with that. Then flying would be fun again!
Old 09-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I recall flying Braniff in the early 70's. Less than $20 to fly between Houston Hobby and and Dallas Love. No lines, no security checks, no crowds and good service. I remember once I was able to arrive at the airport (Hobby) with only about 15mins before the flight was scheduled to leave. I was able to buy a ticket and board the plane with time to spare. (not a lot of time
Heh, I once walked from my condo to the gate at LaGuardia's marine air terminal (pre-9/11). I imagine that trying that now would get you shot or at least a free ride in the back of a cop car.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke_diver View Post
Lots of flying haters...

+ Gumby on all points

If it wasn't for flying I would never have met my wife since I never would have interview/moved to Calif since it would have been totally impractical to drive 5 days for a job interview when I already had a job.

And I never would have seen Italy....I love Italy

It's a pain now but it makes it possible to see parts of the world that would otherwise be pretty much out of reach.
Sadly, the bullcrap that surrounds flying means that it simply isn't worth the toll to fly to many destinations for me.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #50

I suppose everyone has had some kind of "scare" in the air.

I don't recall the plane designation, but it was back when the rear of the plane had sort of lounge seating. My fellow district manager was sitting next to me, and the stewardess next to him, as we were landing. The plane had been committed to landing... engines winding down and we were "floating"in... Over the PA came a simple, angry "DAMN"... and the engines slowly, very slowly, began to rev up... and a "Hang on folks"... Some idiot in a private plane was landing underneath our plane. We continued to drop as the engines wound back up. We had gone the length of the runway, a few feet from the ground, and at the end of the runway we sailed across some trees. Looking out the window, some of the tree tips were above the plane.
Naturally we made it okay, but after we got off the plane, my friend rolled up his shirt sleeve and showed four bloody indentations where the stewardess's fingernails had dented him as she held on for dear life.

A second "scare, came on a trip on JAL, from JFK , eventually to Tokyo. After taking off, we flew out over the ocean.... I figured just as a planned flight path, but after about 10 minutes, I looked down, and we were still over water. Hmmm.. strange, but nothing to worry about... until... the pilot cam on the PA and made an announcement... In Japanese, dontcha know. Whoa... looking around at the Japanese people on the plane, they were moshy moshi-ing, with pure panic on their faces. Translation about a minute later. No wheel indicator light came on... Problem with landing gear. For an hour we flew over the Atlantic... looking out and seeing the shadow of the plane on the clouds below. A black shadow triangle showing behind the plane. We were jettisoning fuel.

A very long landing... a few feet above the ground. Picked up two firetrucks going about 80 MPH on both sides of the plane. Guys in white fireproof suits sitting in turrets on the fire trucks pointing foam guns at the plane. We landed in a sea of foam... completely normal landing. A short in the nosegear warning circuit. Four hours later, a different plane, a delightful flight... short a few passengers who were still in the airport bathroom.

One last story... just to salve my fearful memory. Taking off from Elmira/Corning in our Gulfstream V corporate jet, to be dropped off in Albany.
I was alone in the passenger cabin. Terrible snowstorm, and we had been a half hour being de-iced. Now the airport is located in a deep valley, and the take off is full power, and rapid ascent, so full power all the way. Winding out the engine, big roar... and I look out the window... OMG... We had just fueled, and as we accelerated, huge amounts of gasoline, pouring off the wings, and the pilots, up front, don't know. OMG, OMG we're going to crash and burn.
Now, we're airborne and climbing at about 45 degrees. I struggle, pulling myself along the seats (not easy at that angle).. toward the cockpit...
Bang on the door and scream... GAS LEAK!!! Copilot says... please return to your seat sir... (Sir?... I'm not a sir, I'm a quivering mass of Jello.) Back to the seat... seat back up, pillow in lap, and in crash position. Trying to remember some prayer...
Three minutes later, co-pilot comes back... It's all ok sir... that was just melted ice from the de-icing. He still called me sir, and he didn't smile... at least not while he was talking to me.

...and then the time the same plane was hit by lightning as we landed in Boise. Hole that came up between the pilot's feet. Anyway, free steaks for private planes at the Boise airport.

Like a helicopter pilot in Viet Nam... "Hours of boredom, interspersed with moments of sheer terror."
Old 09-04-2014, 10:18 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

I've been flying on business very frequently since 1982. This is international and domestic.

The most I flew in one year was in 2002 (right after 9/11) and logged 104 flights. I can't start to tell you how many different ways to get searched by TSA (new to them then), or how close I came to be thrown in jail because I had someone else's boarding pass when going through security (thanks to the ticket counter agent).

I have a shoebox full of frequent flyer cards and rental car cards for companies that don't exist anymore.

I have enough hotel points to live in one for a month or two.

FF miles? I have lots and give them to family members (remember when you could sell them?)

So, when it comes time to go visit family or some other more pleasant vacation destination, we drive if it's in the U.S.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:46 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I've had many terrifying moments in the air but the one incident that made me blubber was landing in Calgary, just after this Lufthansa flight, in the back of a DH8, in a windstorm that blew out the windows of office towers. A couple of minutes later, they closed the airport to all flights for 4 hours. I reached my destination (Ottawa) 12 hours late, and had 3 hours sleep before an all day meeting. I am so glad to be RE!

Calgary Windstorm: Lufthansa Flight Makes Dramatic Landing In Strong Winds (VIDEO)
Old 09-05-2014, 12:47 AM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Flying used to be way cool when I was in my 20s….now, not so much.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Flying is still amazing to me. Yes, I understand the science behind it, at least on a simple level.

I still find it amazing that I can walk into this tube with seats, spend a few hours viewing the world from a perspective I rarely get to see, and end up thousands of miles away, often in a foreign land. Wonderful.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:43 AM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Flying is still amazing to me. Yes, I understand the science behind it, at least on a simple level.
The first day in flight school our instructor explained it to us: It's magic, accomplished using a combination of swamp gas and mirrors...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

NSFW...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:47 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

I still find it amazing that I can walk into this tube with seats, spend a few hours viewing the world from a perspective I rarely get to see, and end up thousands of miles away, often in a foreign land. Wonderful.
Wait until the aliens come and you get a ride on one of their anti-gravity ships!
Old 09-05-2014, 11:02 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The first day in flight school our instructor explained it to us: It's magic, accomplished using a combination of swamp gas and mirrors...
Yes, magic, just like electricity and our hearts. And airline ticket pricing.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:26 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Wait until the aliens come and you get a ride on one of their anti-gravity ships!
Been there, done that. Haven't they contacted you yet?
Old 09-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #60

Life would go on, but...what about those fresh fruits and vegetables in January? Remember that sending oranges to friends when visiting Florida was a big deal? What about hopping down to the Caribbean for a long weekend to get out of the snow?

Life would go on without a lot of things but...it sure makes for a better life!

I've logged over 4,000,000 miles during a 20 year back-and-forth to Europe and Asia.

Always loved it (Business/First) and had many perks from good ol' NorthWest Airlines (limo pickups, private boarding etc).
I will admit that coach does seem to be another world however, and if I had to do 14-18 hours in a plane back there, it might change my view of things.