Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2014, 11:42 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 406
I've had way more terrifying moments in a car than in a plane..I think we all get more fearful in a plane because there isn't anything we can do if things appear to be going wrong...and also a lot of times we think there is something wrong when maybe there isn't (turbulence is one that seems to get a lot of gasps on a plane).

I'll still fly regardless of the hassles of air travel these days. There are just too many places I want to see that are not practical otherwise (Aust/NZ top that list)
__________________

__________________
If money is the root of all evil I want to be a bad man
nuke_diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
steelyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Triangle
Posts: 3,218
I hate turbulence but one time I was flying to Austin with a guy I know who's a pilot. He said, "you've been on a speedboat, right?". I said, "yes". He said, "it's the same thing as bouncing over the waves".

I look at turbulence a little differently since then.
__________________

__________________

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I hate turbulence but one time I was flying to Austin with a guy I know who's a pilot. He said, "you've been on a speedboat, right?". I said, "yes". He said, "it's the same thing as bouncing over the waves".

I look at turbulence a little differently since then.
Very true. The only turbulence I really worry about is when we are about to hit the ground land.
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:46 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Rustic23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lake Livingston, Tx
Posts: 3,624
Yes, I have had more than one scare int he air, but never on a commercial flight. A couple were my own doing! As they say, if you survive you learn!
__________________
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 403
I usually find it relaxing to be in the air, and I find takeoffs and landings interesting. What I increasingly dislike, however, is the time while the plane is on the ground. That includes the tedious boarding process, the slow deplaning process from a full plane, ground delays, long taxiing, and landing then finding out that no gate is available.
__________________
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
........... the tedious boarding process, the slow deplaning process from a full plane...........
My pet peeve and it mostly seems avoidable. Why do these idiots have to stand in the aisle while they push and shove their overstuffed carry on bags into the overhead bins? And why not get your bag out of the overhead bin before your row exits? Can't reach it? Just ask, everyone else is just standing there waiting, anyway.
__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
sengsational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
If I do have to fly, Southwest, is my first choice, and United/American last choice.
You must have never experienced Spirit.
__________________
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:17 PM   #68
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 16,561
Owning an airplane for a couple of years in the 1970's spoiled me permanently on airlines. It's almost like your car. Drive in the airport gate and 15 minutes later you're climbing out. First two images are my airplane, a Piper Tri-Pacer, and the local field.

Of course, we can afford either an airplane or a house but not both. I tried very hard to convince DW that outfitting a DC-3 as a living quarters would be really cool but she just wouldn't buy it. Women can be so unreasonable sometimes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tri_pacer-1.jpg (83.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg tri_pacer-2.jpg (97.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Local_field.jpg (152.4 KB, 11 views)
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:11 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ExFlyBoy5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Owning an airplane for a couple of years in the 1970's spoiled me permanently on airlines. It's almost like your car. Drive in the airport gate and 15 minutes later you're climbing out. First two images are my airplane, a Piper Tri-Pacer, and the local field.

Of course, we can afford either an airplane or a house but not both. I tried very hard to convince DW that outfitting a DC-3 as a living quarters would be really cool but she just wouldn't buy it. Women can be so unreasonable sometimes!
Nice plane. I too owned a plane for about 3 years. It was one of those 'life goals' and I absolutely loved it but wouldn't do it again. The government is not friendly to little planes and it's not a cheap hobby. But man, it was great to just go jump in and go grab some seafood down by the coast!

I wonder what my little Cherokee has been up to...

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
__________________
Founder and Head Lounger @ The Life of Leisure Institute
Retired in 2014 at the Ripe Age of 40.
ExFlyBoy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:37 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: No Where for Very Long
Posts: 747
OT, a girl I knew in high school some times emails me and asks what I've been doing. I told her I was leaving Thailand for Songkran (Traditional Thai Lunar New Year) and going to the Philippines.

She asked me if I was going to ride my motorcycle there...

After I realized that she was serious I affirmed, yes, I was going to travel there but swore her to secrecy about the new bridge between Thailand and the Philippines

Back OT, I fly when I have to, it a long swim from Bangkok to Houston I do think I'll try a repositioning cruise and go to Europe by transatlantic voyage.

I usually opt for ground transportation when ever possible, there is a First Class bus from Chiang Mai to Bangkok that has coach seats similar to business class in an air plane. Two seats on one side of the isle and a single seat on the other

Thai language video but you get the idea

รีวิวรถเฟิร์ทคลา *ุดร-กรุงเทพ นครชัยแ*ร์ Nakhonchai Air First class bus Udon-Bangkok review - YouTube
__________________

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:37 AM   #71
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Koolau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Leeward Oahu
Posts: 3,244
I too hate all the hassles of flying these days. I recall the "good old days" when folks "dressed" to fly. Flight attendants were friendly, there were rarely delays and there was actually some leg room in the seats. But, I have to admit, for less than a grand, I can do a 5000 mile - round trip (total time, one way, with plane switching) is typically 10 to 15 hours. Essentially one day and less than a grand and I'm a fifth of the way around the world. Looking at it that way, it's still some what of a miracle.

My question is why do airlines still advertise? All their seats are filled. Once you fly them, you swear they are your new "worst airline ever." It's as if they go out of their way to make your flight as uncomfortable as possible. So, airlines, save your advertising budget and just call it pure "profit." I never pay any attention to airline ads. I fly whatever airline is going where I want to go, when I want to go and has the cheapest seat. I have absolutely no loyalty to any airline as they show me none. YMMV
__________________
Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #72
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
freebird5825's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Nowhere, 43N Latitude, NY
Posts: 9,017
I flew a lot domestically while w*rking, never on direct flights , and on several tag along trips overseas with my late husband. It used to be halfway fun, because the excitement of where I was going overcame the annoyances of the air travel system. I always brought a book or two to pass the time during connections, or wrote letters to distant friends.

The last time I flew was in 2010. It was a nonstop from SYR to ORL on JetBlue. It was a great trip and no hassles at all. This airline tries to keep you comfortable throughout the entire process.

These days, I have no desire to fly anywhere. I see the video footage of airports on the weather channel during holidays and bad weather events, and say to myself, .
__________________
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: San Jose
Posts: 607
I hate commercial air travel. The company I've been at for almost 4 years is the only place I've managed to work where I haven't had to take a business trip yet. I keep avoiding them, and so far it's worked well.

The only airline trip I've taken in the last couple years was to fly to Florida to visit relatives.

One of my goals after I (hopefully) FIRE next year is to move back to Colorado and start flight training to get my pilot's license, with the eventual goal of getting my own plane. If that comes to fruition, I will never fly commercial again, with the exception of flying internationally (something I'd never attempt in a private plane).

But for domestic travel, skill and weather permitting of course, I'll fly myself wherever I need to go, even if it takes a couple days for cross country trips.
__________________
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #74
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Rustic23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lake Livingston, Tx
Posts: 3,624
I have about 5,000 hrs of flying time in jets and turbo props. Yet I have not flown private since 1987! There are several reasons. Owning a plane is like a boat, it is a whole to put money in! Renting an airplane, for me, is not an option. I have seen how people treat homes, cars, and just about every things they rent rather than own. I don't want to be at ten thousand feet and find out the previous pilot over g'ed the AC. The other reason is, I believe to be truly proficient, you need to fly at least twice a week. That gets expensive fast. You might be able to fly less when you get four or five hundred hours in a specific AC, but that takes a while too. So, while despise the airlines, if I have to fly, I let some one else do the heavy lifting.


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #75
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ExFlyBoy5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I have about 5,000 hrs of flying time in jets and turbo props. Yet I have not flown private since 1987! There are several reasons. Owning a plane is like a boat, it is a whole to put money in! Renting an airplane, for me, is not an option. I have seen how people treat homes, cars, and just about every things they rent rather than own. I don't want to be at ten thousand feet and find out the previous pilot over g'ed the AC. The other reason is, I believe to be truly proficient, you need to fly at least twice a week. That gets expensive fast. You might be able to fly less when you get four or five hundred hours in a specific AC, but that takes a while too. So, while despise the airlines, if I have to fly, I let some one else do the heavy lifting.


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Yep. Airplane ownership is not for the faint of heart. I had one of the cheapest airplanes to own yet it cost me a lot of money...and that is with me doing most mechanical work myself. For anyone considering owning, you will hear a term when it applies to costs. This term is called an AMU (aviation monetary unit). When you ask how much something is, you might hear 'that's about 6 AMUs'. One AMU is 1,000 USD, so as you can imagine when you are working in those denominations, it's far from a cheap hobby.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
__________________
Founder and Head Lounger @ The Life of Leisure Institute
Retired in 2014 at the Ripe Age of 40.
ExFlyBoy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Yep. Airplane ownership is not for the faint of heart. I had one of the cheapest airplanes to own yet it cost me a lot of money...and that is with me doing most mechanical work myself. For anyone considering owning, you will hear a term when it applies to costs. This term is called an AMU (aviation monetary unit). When you ask how much something is, you might hear 'that's about 6 AMUs'. One AMU is 1,000 USD, so as you can imagine when you are working in those denominations, it's far from a cheap hobby.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Fits in quite nicely with boats.

B.O.A.T. - Break Out Another Thousand
__________________
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: San Jose
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Yep. Airplane ownership is not for the faint of heart. I had one of the cheapest airplanes to own yet it cost me a lot of money...and that is with me doing most mechanical work myself. For anyone considering owning, you will hear a term when it applies to costs. This term is called an AMU (aviation monetary unit). When you ask how much something is, you might hear 'that's about 6 AMUs'. One AMU is 1,000 USD, so as you can imagine when you are working in those denominations, it's far from a cheap hobby.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Yep - I've read plenty about the costs of owning an airplane. It's probably one of those things you don't even attempt to justify financially, at least I know I never would.

I've got family members who own (or owned, past tense) boats, and heard all the horror stories about what money pits those were. Planes are a magnitude beyond boats even. With the costs of fuel, engine maintenance, upgrading avionics, etc, "AMU" definitely rings true.

What makes a plane fly? Money.
__________________
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus
Khan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pine Island, Florida
Posts: 6,868
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I too hate all the hassles of flying these days. I recall the "good old days" when folks "dressed" to fly. Flight attendants were friendly, there were rarely delays and there was actually some leg room in the seats. But, I have to admit, for less than a grand, I can do a 5000 mile - round trip (total time, one way, with plane switching) is typically 10 to 15 hours. Essentially one day and less than a grand and I'm a fifth of the way around the world. Looking at it that way, it's still some what of a miracle.

My question is why do airlines still advertise? All their seats are filled. Once you fly them, you swear they are your new "worst airline ever." It's as if they go out of their way to make your flight as uncomfortable as possible. So, airlines, save your advertising budget and just call it pure "profit." I never pay any attention to airline ads. I fly whatever airline is going where I want to go, when I want to go and has the cheapest seat. I have absolutely no loyalty to any airline as they show me none. YMMV
My opinion exactly.
Can I get from here to there in a reasonable time?
I fly because I can't handle driving from OH to FL.
__________________
"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #79
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 16,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
It's probably one of those things you don't even attempt to justify financially, at least I know I never would.
Oh, I never did, it was just very nice to be able to achieve a childhood dream - learn to fly an airplane - at the age of 25. There is good reason I only owned that airplane for two years.

But it sure was a fun two years!
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #80
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
Posts: 666
I went flying today just to do it. I took a old friend up for the first time and we just flew around the local area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0275.jpg (242.9 KB, 6 views)
__________________

__________________
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fly?.. Why? imoldernu Other topics 66 10-19-2013 12:56 PM
Learning on the fly with penny stocks? Keyboard Ninja Stock Picking and Market Strategy 23 06-08-2008 07:15 PM
Fly naked on Germany's first nudist holiday flight Wags Other topics 14 01-31-2008 08:00 AM
Fly Swatter Technology OldAgePensioner Other topics 27 10-02-2007 12:03 PM
Dumb Americans and let the arrows fly! newguy88 Other topics 38 02-16-2007 07:30 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:36 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.