Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-05-2014, 11:42 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

I've had way more terrifying moments in a car than in a plane..I think we all get more fearful in a plane because there isn't anything we can do if things appear to be going wrong...and also a lot of times we think there is something wrong when maybe there isn't (turbulence is one that seems to get a lot of gasps on a plane).

I'll still fly regardless of the hassles of air travel these days. There are just too many places I want to see that are not practical otherwise (Aust/NZ top that list)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I hate turbulence but one time I was flying to Austin with a guy I know who's a pilot. He said, "you've been on a speedboat, right?". I said, "yes". He said, "it's the same thing as bouncing over the waves".

I look at turbulence a little differently since then.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I hate turbulence but one time I was flying to Austin with a guy I know who's a pilot. He said, "you've been on a speedboat, right?". I said, "yes". He said, "it's the same thing as bouncing over the waves".

I look at turbulence a little differently since then.
Very true. The only turbulence I really worry about is when we are about to hit the ground land.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:46 PM   #64

Yes, I have had more than one scare int he air, but never on a commercial flight. A couple were my own doing! As they say, if you survive you learn!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

I usually find it relaxing to be in the air, and I find takeoffs and landings interesting. What I increasingly dislike, however, is the time while the plane is on the ground. That includes the tedious boarding process, the slow deplaning process from a full plane, ground delays, long taxiing, and landing then finding out that no gate is available.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
........... the tedious boarding process, the slow deplaning process from a full plane...........
My pet peeve and it mostly seems avoidable. Why do these idiots have to stand in the aisle while they push and shove their overstuffed carry on bags into the overhead bins? And why not get your bag out of the overhead bin before your row exits? Can't reach it? Just ask, everyone else is just standing there waiting, anyway.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
If I do have to fly, Southwest, is my first choice, and United/American last choice.
You must have never experienced Spirit.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:17 PM   #68

Owning an airplane for a couple of years in the 1970's spoiled me permanently on airlines. It's almost like your car. Drive in the airport gate and 15 minutes later you're climbing out. First two images are my airplane, a Piper Tri-Pacer, and the local field.

Of course, we can afford either an airplane or a house but not both. I tried very hard to convince DW that outfitting a DC-3 as a living quarters would be really cool but she just wouldn't buy it. Women can be so unreasonable sometimes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tri_pacer-1.jpg (83.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg tri_pacer-2.jpg (97.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Local_field.jpg (152.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-05-2014, 10:11 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Owning an airplane for a couple of years in the 1970's spoiled me permanently on airlines. It's almost like your car. Drive in the airport gate and 15 minutes later you're climbing out. First two images are my airplane, a Piper Tri-Pacer, and the local field.

Of course, we can afford either an airplane or a house but not both. I tried very hard to convince DW that outfitting a DC-3 as a living quarters would be really cool but she just wouldn't buy it. Women can be so unreasonable sometimes!
Nice plane. I too owned a plane for about 3 years. It was one of those 'life goals' and I absolutely loved it but wouldn't do it again. The government is not friendly to little planes and it's not a cheap hobby. But man, it was great to just go jump in and go grab some seafood down by the coast!

I wonder what my little Cherokee has been up to...

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:37 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

OT, a girl I knew in high school some times emails me and asks what I've been doing. I told her I was leaving Thailand for Songkran (Traditional Thai Lunar New Year) and going to the Philippines.

She asked me if I was going to ride my motorcycle there...

After I realized that she was serious I affirmed, yes, I was going to travel there but swore her to secrecy about the new bridge between Thailand and the Philippines

Back OT, I fly when I have to, it a long swim from Bangkok to Houston I do think I'll try a repositioning cruise and go to Europe by transatlantic voyage.

I usually opt for ground transportation when ever possible, there is a First Class bus from Chiang Mai to Bangkok that has coach seats similar to business class in an air plane. Two seats on one side of the isle and a single seat on the other

Thai language video but you get the idea

รีวิวรถเฟิร์ทคลา *ุดร-กรุงเทพ นครชัยแ*ร์ Nakhonchai Air First class bus Udon-Bangkok review - YouTube

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:37 AM   #71

I too hate all the hassles of flying these days. I recall the "good old days" when folks "dressed" to fly. Flight attendants were friendly, there were rarely delays and there was actually some leg room in the seats. But, I have to admit, for less than a grand, I can do a 5000 mile - round trip (total time, one way, with plane switching) is typically 10 to 15 hours. Essentially one day and less than a grand and I'm a fifth of the way around the world. Looking at it that way, it's still some what of a miracle.

My question is why do airlines still advertise? All their seats are filled. Once you fly them, you swear they are your new "worst airline ever." It's as if they go out of their way to make your flight as uncomfortable as possible. So, airlines, save your advertising budget and just call it pure "profit." I never pay any attention to airline ads. I fly whatever airline is going where I want to go, when I want to go and has the cheapest seat. I have absolutely no loyalty to any airline as they show me none. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

I flew a lot domestically while w*rking, never on direct flights , and on several tag along trips overseas with my late husband. It used to be halfway fun, because the excitement of where I was going overcame the annoyances of the air travel system. I always brought a book or two to pass the time during connections, or wrote letters to distant friends.

The last time I flew was in 2010. It was a nonstop from SYR to ORL on JetBlue. It was a great trip and no hassles at all. This airline tries to keep you comfortable throughout the entire process.

These days, I have no desire to fly anywhere. I see the video footage of airports on the weather channel during holidays and bad weather events, and say to myself, .
Old 09-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #73

I hate commercial air travel. The company I've been at for almost 4 years is the only place I've managed to work where I haven't had to take a business trip yet. I keep avoiding them, and so far it's worked well.

The only airline trip I've taken in the last couple years was to fly to Florida to visit relatives.

One of my goals after I (hopefully) FIRE next year is to move back to Colorado and start flight training to get my pilot's license, with the eventual goal of getting my own plane. If that comes to fruition, I will never fly commercial again, with the exception of flying internationally (something I'd never attempt in a private plane).

But for domestic travel, skill and weather permitting of course, I'll fly myself wherever I need to go, even if it takes a couple days for cross country trips.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #74

I have about 5,000 hrs of flying time in jets and turbo props. Yet I have not flown private since 1987! There are several reasons. Owning a plane is like a boat, it is a whole to put money in! Renting an airplane, for me, is not an option. I have seen how people treat homes, cars, and just about every things they rent rather than own. I don't want to be at ten thousand feet and find out the previous pilot over g'ed the AC. The other reason is, I believe to be truly proficient, you need to fly at least twice a week. That gets expensive fast. You might be able to fly less when you get four or five hundred hours in a specific AC, but that takes a while too. So, while despise the airlines, if I have to fly, I let some one else do the heavy lifting.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I have about 5,000 hrs of flying time in jets and turbo props. Yet I have not flown private since 1987! There are several reasons. Owning a plane is like a boat, it is a whole to put money in! Renting an airplane, for me, is not an option. I have seen how people treat homes, cars, and just about every things they rent rather than own. I don't want to be at ten thousand feet and find out the previous pilot over g'ed the AC. The other reason is, I believe to be truly proficient, you need to fly at least twice a week. That gets expensive fast. You might be able to fly less when you get four or five hundred hours in a specific AC, but that takes a while too. So, while despise the airlines, if I have to fly, I let some one else do the heavy lifting.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Yep. Airplane ownership is not for the faint of heart. I had one of the cheapest airplanes to own yet it cost me a lot of money...and that is with me doing most mechanical work myself. For anyone considering owning, you will hear a term when it applies to costs. This term is called an AMU (aviation monetary unit). When you ask how much something is, you might hear 'that's about 6 AMUs'. One AMU is 1,000 USD, so as you can imagine when you are working in those denominations, it's far from a cheap hobby.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Yep. Airplane ownership is not for the faint of heart. I had one of the cheapest airplanes to own yet it cost me a lot of money...and that is with me doing most mechanical work myself. For anyone considering owning, you will hear a term when it applies to costs. This term is called an AMU (aviation monetary unit). When you ask how much something is, you might hear 'that's about 6 AMUs'. One AMU is 1,000 USD, so as you can imagine when you are working in those denominations, it's far from a cheap hobby.

Fits in quite nicely with boats.

B.O.A.T. - Break Out Another Thousand
Old 09-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post

Yep - I've read plenty about the costs of owning an airplane. It's probably one of those things you don't even attempt to justify financially, at least I know I never would.

I've got family members who own (or owned, past tense) boats, and heard all the horror stories about what money pits those were. Planes are a magnitude beyond boats even. With the costs of fuel, engine maintenance, upgrading avionics, etc, "AMU" definitely rings true.

What makes a plane fly? Money.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I too hate all the hassles of flying these days. I recall the "good old days" when folks "dressed" to fly. Flight attendants were friendly, there were rarely delays and there was actually some leg room in the seats. But, I have to admit, for less than a grand, I can do a 5000 mile - round trip (total time, one way, with plane switching) is typically 10 to 15 hours. Essentially one day and less than a grand and I'm a fifth of the way around the world. Looking at it that way, it's still some what of a miracle.

My question is why do airlines still advertise? All their seats are filled. Once you fly them, you swear they are your new "worst airline ever." It's as if they go out of their way to make your flight as uncomfortable as possible. So, airlines, save your advertising budget and just call it pure "profit." I never pay any attention to airline ads. I fly whatever airline is going where I want to go, when I want to go and has the cheapest seat. I have absolutely no loyalty to any airline as they show me none. YMMV
My opinion exactly.
Can I get from here to there in a reasonable time?
I fly because I can't handle driving from OH to FL.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
It's probably one of those things you don't even attempt to justify financially, at least I know I never would.
Oh, I never did, it was just very nice to be able to achieve a childhood dream - learn to fly an airplane - at the age of 25. There is good reason I only owned that airplane for two years.

But it sure was a fun two years!
Old 09-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #80

I went flying today just to do it. I took a old friend up for the first time and we just flew around the local area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0275.jpg (242.9 KB, 6 views)