Why Fly?

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Not in the travel forum, because the question is much broader than that.

Maybe the survivalist mentality, or jealousy, possibly because of being out of touch with 'Today', but in the interests of the long term survival of the world...

WHY FLY?

Hmmm... list the reasons...

. Family visits
. Business requires flying to clients/subsidaries/corporate locations
. Travel for pleasure
. Live in more than one place... too far away
. You are a pilot or an airline employee
. Government business
. Warring

Yeah... surely there are a thousand other reasons, but what has happened since (let's say) the 1950's that makes you, us, them spend the money to fly? ... and how did we get along before the airline industry grew so large.

Better still... question... How would your life be affected is you couldn't fly?

BTW... The question involves airplanes... not personal physical abilities.

Pour moi... just 3 years of my life flying on a 2-3 times a week basis, back when you could smoke, drink @ $3 Martini... the stewardess were young and pretty and were always smiling. Regulars were invited into 1st class for free when empty seats were available. And... believe this or not:) when checking in at the desk... late... the pilot would hold the take off 'til I got to the door of the plane.

It was when the redeye from San Francisco to Chicago had a comic steward who was a budding Johnny Carson... and used a hand puppet to interview flyers.

And so... If all airline flights were grounded, would life go on?

Just asking :cool:

I can actually remember when airlines didn't hate their "cargo with an attitude".

Back then there were not even fax machines, and even the WATS lines were expensive for long distance, never mind the electronic communication we "enjoy" in business today. So yes, it could easily be business as usual except for the on-site consultants.

It used to be air travel. Now it's buses with wings. Costs a lot less now, we all benefit from that.

If I never have to fly again it will be too soon. I absolutely hate it.

I see flying as a necessary evil.

Same here.

I crossed the Atlantic in 2012 (Ireland) and 2013 (Scotland) and even though I retired in July of this year I have planned no flying vacations. My cousin/travel partner keeps talking about New Zealand and Africa, etc. but I think I will let her go if she wants and just do a few car trips here on the Eastern seaboard this fall. All the getting to the airport and screening and scanning and tight flights packed in like cattle is not my idea of fun. In coach I aways try to get an aisle seat, and I think I will not fly anymore unless I can get a direct flight. If I fly less, I might even spring for business class from here on out if the trip is more than 3 hours. I am also thinking about taking "The Pennsylvanian" Amtrak to Philly for a few days of museum going. Imoldernu, I heartily concur that the Friendly Skies are a lot less enjoyable. I would go so far as to call them an ordeal.

I used to see a woman who had been a flight attendant based out of California. When she was with the airline, her boyfriend was a pilot but sadly he died in a crash. That ended her career in the air.

But to this day, she makes sure to dress up and look sharp for plane travel.

The airlines more than any business I can think of seems to have the attitude they are there for you not the customer, and they could care less if you like them or not. I absolutely hate to fly and will avoid it at all cost. If I do have to fly, Southwest, is my first choice, and United/American last choice. Unfortunately I need to go to NYC at the end of the week and United was the only logical choice. Not looking forward to it.

I have flown a lot over the years in big planes and small, but I am a nervous flyer when there is bad turbulence. Flying is certainly less glamorous and more hassle than it used to be, but I really appreciate the nonsmoking rules. I have no family in my immediate area so the only way I can get to see them is to fly. I still think it worth while to drag myself on a plane to travel for pleasure. What I enjoy about retirement is that I fly only when and where I want to.

Believe it or not, I spent so much time in military cargo aircraft (both USAF and other nations) that normal commercial flying generally seems pretty pleasant.

The only thing that has changed is that since I would far rather drive than fly, I'm more apt to spring for business class these days on my occasional trips.

One thing that has made me happy is the relatively recent innovation of "Economy Comfort" class on some flights. More legroom and often better seating than regular (cattle class) seats, at a relatively small price premium.

I have never been in a plane as an adult and have no intention of ever being on a plane again. I never took a vacation out of state until I was 32 years old so no need to fly then. Now i'm self employed and while I could fly to some job sites I prefer to drive. I have no need to be in a hurry. When I travel for leisure I travel for extended periods of time and driving is so much better if you have the time. Only reason to fly in the continental US is if you have a very tight schedule IMO. I avoid ever having a tight schedule.

I gave up flying when I retired and time became far less of a concern than in the past. Yes it does mean giving up leaving North America, but there is a lot to see in the US and Canada. Driving means going thru lots of small towns and seeing the country (if you stay off the interstates which have become a land of sameness at most populated exits, same fast food, same motels...).

Flying to me is a fact of life . I fly several times a year to see either my daughter , son in law & grandsons or my Mother . I have learned to make it easy on myself . What drives me nuts is all the crap people drag onto planes . My last trip was on two small airplanes that were strict about carry on size & it was so pleasant .

Would life go on? Yes. Remember September 11, US civilian aircraft were grounded till the 13th. The world didn't end, but a lot of people were stranded.

I used to fly all the time for business, most of the time little warning. Once we had 4 of us on a Learjet, as we'd get there 2 hours earlier. Way home a week later was in coach.

Were trying our first driving vacation in 5 years, looking forward to it.

I'm flying in Sept to Boston and in Oct to CT. My first year into ER I decided to drive to Chicago from San Francisco because I had the time and I wanted to see the scenery. The next year I took a road trip to Seattle. I learned that there are costs to driving so flying east is probably cheaper than driving. So I fly if my destination is east of the Mississippi and if I'm just going to see people. When I'm in the mood to see scenery then I drive.

I'm not perturbed by the state of flying one way or the other. I easily sleep on planes and I bring my own food and entertainment.

I'm fortunate in that my son flies in to PIT to see me a couple of times a year. My sister and her husband drove out for a visit from CA 2 years ago. The only person I fly to see every couple of years is my cousin on Cape Cod and JetBlue has very reasonable direct flights to Boston. I used to fly to FL a lot and I took AirTran as they had direct flights to Ft. Myers.

I love to fly and do so whenever the opportunity arises.

"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air....

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace.
Where never lark, or even eagle flew —
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
- Put out my hand, and touched the face of God."

'High Flight' by John G. Magee.

An American flying with the RCAF in England. Killed in a mid-air collision in 1941 while flying a Spitfire.

Daughter, SIL and 4 grandkids in London, DS, DIL with one on the way in Tanzania. We log average of two flights a year catching both. DS had recent medical emergency (collapsed lung) and was medivaced to South Africa, wife is already in US for delivery, so we flew to SA only a month after one of those long journeys. Lemme tell ya, that 16 hour flight from Atlanta to Johannesberg is really at the limit of endurance. Tix were ~$2100 each, for giggles checked the price of business...over $10k. I don't light my grill with hundred dollar bills either.

Certainly do not like flying; were it not for the kids wouldn't do it often. But given their locations it's a necessary evil. I'll say one thing, after the transatlantics when we do have to do a 2-3 hour flight in US it's like ... pshaw...dis is nutting'!!!

I can't really say anything too negative about the service for the prices other than the obvious spatial crowding. Our experiences have been OK other than delays from weather, which is why for our winter trips we try to avoid northern connections. Yeah, compared to several decades ago it's minimalist, but compare time adjusted costs. We can't recall seeing a vacant seat on any of the flights last several years.

I'm a turbulence hater; self medication works well.:)

I have flown quite a bit for both business and leisure. In my experience, flying is what you make of it. A little good humor and flexibility can go a long way to making your trip pleasant for both you and the people around you. Among other things, I would advise the following:

1. Don't cut your connections too close. Flights are often delayed and the stress over whether you'll get to the intermediate airport in time to make your connection can ruin your entire day. Also, get to the initial departure airport in plenty of time, and give yourself plenty of time at the final arrival terminal to get your luggage and be on your way.

2. Don't cut your money too close. If having to stay over somewhere or eating an extra restaurant meal because your flight is delayed or canceled will cause you financial hardship, you probably should have waited until you saved more before traveling. The stuff at the airport is always going to cost a fortune. That's just the way it is. Being mad won't make it any cheaper.

3. Accept that it is a complicated system, often affected by weather and mechanical malfunction. There is nothing you can say or do to make it work any differently. So relax and go with the flow. If the gate changes, go to the new one without complaining. If the flight is delayed, it gives you more time to read your book.

4. Realize that other travelers are also anxious and upset about these things. Be courteous to them. It doesn't cost anything and it will make you both happier. Also, be nice to the airline personnel. They want everything to go smoothly and the ones you deal with generally have no power to change the things that are bothering you. Smile at your flight attendant and comply with his or her instructions. Don't obsess about other people who don't. It's not your problem.

5. Pay the money and check your luggage. It is so much more pleasant to walk around the airport without lugging a suitcase, and you wont have to obsess about who gets the overhead space - something that causes the inevitable cattle herd to form in the boarding area and leads to much bad behavior aboard the plane.

6. Always have a good book to read.

I hate flying with a passion, all the more so when it is at the behest/whim of an employer. Between the nonsensical (in)security routine and the way the airlines act these days, I would never fly again if I could get away with it. If I can avoid flying til mid-November for this new contract gig I picked up I will at least have managed a full year without the pain and indignity of airline travel.

While your principles are good in general (and I'd add springing for lounge access on long layovers and flying Business in long hauls), it's hard to stay mellow when your vacation time is being spent in an airport or on the tarmac instead of your destination, or you're going to get in at 2 AM or your elderly parents miss a family wedding after their flight is cancelled .

DH and I fly only when we have to, for destinations such as Europe or Alaska. Now that I'm retired, we're no longer constrained by vacation days, we'll drive even more and fly less.

Last edited:
I fly only for pleasure, and have done a few of the insanely long routes (To NZ and Mongolia) and many shorter ones. It is, as Gumby suggests, all in your intent and frame of mind. This is why I think travel gets harder as we get older--and less flexible and able to roll with the punches.

I can't say I love flying, but those big buses are sometimes the only way to get where I want to go!

And on one memorable leg, from South Korea to Texas on American, I got to fly first class (on points, Fuego!) and oh what a wonderful time that was! And I got to keep the pajamas, too!

My last trip we had turbulence so I had a glass of wine between flights . The cost was $19 . I just laughed .

Back
Top Bottom