Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-29-2007, 10:40 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
Well, I heated the frozen paella to 350°, but it only got to 180°. I think my stove is broken.
Try the microwave. Or the (1/16-th)^5-th-wave, perhaps.
bpp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2007, 10:50 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
i often wonder about standardization.

today as i drove down the road, i wondered about semi's...18 wheelers. I looked at the lines connecting the trailer of a big-rig to the truck itself, and saw the big plugs on both ends....I wonder if they (the plugs) are all the same from one truck to the next? If not, what would you do if you had to haul a trailer with incompatible lines (i suppose they are brake lights and compressed air for brakes)? If they ARE all the same, WHO invented them? Do they make money every time a plug is made with that particular connector?

Then i looked at their mudflaps (funny ones) and wondered the same kind of thing... "are those standard18-wheeler mudflaps? or are they made specifically to mount to a 1998 Peterbuilt blah blah" if theres a standard mounting bracket or configuration for mudflaps...how'd that become so?

wierd stuff like this goes thru my head a lot. i must be special
Yeah....you ARE special. That stuff is all standard....even the mudflaps more or less. Hydraulic hoses are still non-metric. They go by SAE sizes that generally correspond to inch measurments (hoses and couplings). Electrical connectors are standard also...dunno if they're metric, but I'm pretty sure any tractor fits any trailer. Society of Automotive Engineers sets most of these standards. American Society of Mechanical Engineers does thier part and so on and so forth. ISO is International Standards Organization and they serve similar functions.

When I went to work at the GM Proving Grounds in '82 all the speed limit signs on company property were metric only, because eventually that was going to be the standard. As travelover stated, all the cars are metric, but GM threw in the towel and changed the speed limit signs a few years ago...so now we truely have a mixed system....talk about complicated!
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:35 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Just noticed my clock is wrong on the PC. Humans just aren't good at standardization. Think of it, computers are now, what, 60 years old, and they can't even display the current time reliably!

Sorry Ladelfina, I didn't mean my post to sound condescending like that.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:41 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Well, I heated the frozen paella to 350°, but it only got to 180°. I think my stove is broken.
Wouldn't a frozen paella be 360°? And 180° would be half of one?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:16 AM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

sigh. I guess I have to explain: 350°F is ~180°C.
Al .. no prb... I used a winky face

For a bizarre food geometry conundrum, go here:
The Great Pizza Orientation Test
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:30 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
sigh. I guess I have to explain: 350°F is ~180°C.

For a bizarre food geometry conundrum, go here:
The Great Pizza Orientation Test
I hope you don't think you need to explain that, anymore than I hope that I don't need to explain that there are 360 degrees in a circle?

I bet the domino's delivery guys have all heard about the guy who needed his pizza oriented. Pretty funny, but I'm not sure what else they would do to keep it straight. Side 'A', side 'B'? Hmmm, those are the flip sides of a record - could get confusing, and hard to put pepperoni on the 'B' side.

Me, I like the corner piece.

-ERD50
Old 10-30-2007, 11:59 AM   #67

I hope I don't need to explain that I did think I needed to explain that!

I just wonder what went through the head of the kid who had to make the "beef/left/none" pizza.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:04 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I hope I don't need to explain that I did think I needed to explain that!
I guess we went full circle on that one, then!

-ERD50
Old 10-30-2007, 12:43 PM   #69

Very simple-

The Cincinnati Bengals are giving up records amount of yardage. If we switch to metric system, the amount of yardage will be increased, and that just can't happen.

Plus, all the football stadiums have 120 yard fields. Removing seats of paying customers to create a 120 meter field is not profitable for the NFL.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:33 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
Very simple-

The Cincinnati Bengals are giving up records amount of yardage. If we switch to metric system, the amount of yardage will be increased, and that just can't happen.

Plus, all the football stadiums have 120 yard fields. Removing seats of paying customers to create a 120 meter field is not profitable for the NFL.
In Canada, our football league (the unofficial NFL farm system) uses yards. There are differences though. Our field is much wider, our balls are bigger (pun intended), and we only have 3 downs(I think that is metric for 4 downs).
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:08 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

today as i drove down the road, i wondered about semi's...18 wheelers. I looked at the lines connecting the trailer of a big-rig to the truck itself, and saw the big plugs on both ends....I wonder if they (the plugs) are all the same from one truck to the next? If not, what would you do if you had to haul a trailer with incompatible lines (i suppose they are brake lights and compressed air for brakes)? If they ARE all the same, WHO invented them? Do they make money every time a plug is made with that particular connector?

Then i looked at their mudflaps (funny ones) and wondered the same kind of thing... "are those standard18-wheeler mudflaps? or are they made specifically to mount to a 1998 Peterbuilt blah blah" if theres a standard mounting bracket or configuration for mudflaps...how'd that become so?

Don't know about big rigs, but standardization is one of the reasons why Toyota has a very efficient manufacturing system and why the parts always fit.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:48 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Don't know about big rigs, but standardization is one of the reasons why Toyota has a very efficient manufacturing system and why the parts always fit.
You know, i think Mr. Ford was working on something like that some years ago....
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:08 PM   #73

Quote:

There are 2 air lines, 1 is color coded red (either red hose or red connectors, or both) and is the emergency trailer brakes. The other is color coded blue (blue hose and/or connectors) and is the trailer service brake (the regular brakes that are operated by the driver's brake pedal). There is also the electrical connection for the trailer lights. The connections, air and electrical, are standard on all tractor-trailers. The electrical lines have a plug connector. The air lines have 'glad-hands' connectors.

No idea who invented them though.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:10 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Concerning oven temperatures, here's a story.

My Mom came over to Sweden with us when DW and I had our second marriage ceremony over there. When we were visiting DW's grandparent's house, Mom decided to bake an American style turkey dinner while everyone else was out canoing. The house only had a wood stove. And by "wood stove" I mean a traditional kitchen range that is powered by wood rather than gas or electricity.

So she keeps stuffing the oven with wood to try to get the temperature up to 350 degrees, but of course the dial was in centigrade, and 350 centigrade = 662 Fahrenheit!

The bird was done in record time, and turned out fine.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:04 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

I can lie in either units. Mox nix.

Doctors have a fascinating outlook on units. When we were in baby mode, the whole hospital talked in terms of "sonnameters". Hello?
Old 10-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Dang You! I nearly wrecked today while trying to inspect the mud flaps on several big rigs I passed on the road today! I worked as a powertrain engineer for many years, but never gave much thought to the doggone mudflaps other than making sure they were present.

I realized a typical example of our mixed up measurement system is the tire system we use that is a combination of metric/ non-dimensional and english units. The tire width is millimeters, the tire section height (profile) is percent and the rim diameter is inches, i.e. 225/60-15
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:43 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
You know, i think Mr. Ford was working on something like that some years ago....
And Eli Whitney and a few others before him:

Interchangeable parts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Around 1778, Honoré Blanc began producing some of the first firearms with interchangeable parts. Blanc demonstrated in front of a committee of scientists that his muskets could be assembled from a pile of parts selected at random.
-ERD50
Old 10-31-2007, 07:04 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
assembled from a pile of parts selected at random...
I believe this is how most American cars are built to this day...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:27 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I believe this is how most American cars are built to this day...
I know it is fun to kick a guy when he is down, but what you are saying isn't true or respectful to many of us who either worked in the US auto industry or whose families got a leg up into the middle class through US auto jobs.

Consumer Reports: Ford makes strides, Toyota dips
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:38 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I know it is fun to kick a guy when he is down, but what you are saying isn't true or respectful to many of us who either worked in the US auto industry or whose families got a leg up into the middle class through US auto jobs.

Consumer Reports: Ford makes strides, Toyota dips
As a former automotive employee for a big 3 company and supplier, I can say the automotive industry is ripe with inefficiencies and corruption. I could see it when I worked there 10+ years ago, and it shows in the quality of the cars they make. Millions of americans switching to honda and toyota cannot be wrong. Consumer driven economy... make a better product, a more reliable product, and this problem would not exist.

GM, Ford and Chrysler made most of their sales, IMO, out of loyalty to "buy american", than they did because they built a better product. This short sightedness, IMO, will take around 20 years to correct.

Drove a Saturn, OK until about 150,000 miles. Good car, I would buy it again, but car is way to small for me (I drove an SC2 when I was single).
Drove a Ford Focus- started giving us problems before it was paid off. Good riddance on that one.

Drive an Civic and Ridgeline now and could not be happier.
My wife's uncle has a camry with 300k miles on it and still going strong. Many others I know have civics, accords and camry's with 200k miles on them. The equivalent ford car (focus) was dead after 80k miles.

Not even close.