Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Why in the world would you post to (eeeuw) a discussion board?!?
Old 08-09-2006, 10:26 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
I post here because I've found a like-minded group of people.* This is also one of the best diversified boards I've found.* The spectrum runs from wannabes to alreadybeens.*

This is also one of the best boards to post a problem and get answers from a smart bunch of people.* I've appreciated 99% of the posters and their willingness to help.

I too was a lurker for quite a while and am always learning from the great group of people here, keep it up folks.
Yep, got it in one.

I'm also a member of a writer's discussion board and lurk at one or two other boards devoted to other interests.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2006, 10:40 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Many of you have hit on my reasons: A lot of wisdom, funny posts, good ideas, etc.

But something I often ask myself is: am I posting just to show how funny or clever I am? I have to admit that sometimes the answer is "yes," although I don't do it consciously. Often I write out a post, then read it and decide it doesn't really contribute, but is just showing off. Then I post it anyway. Ha ha, no, I then delete it.

But that's too much analysis -- where's that damn beaver?

Old 08-09-2006, 10:41 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Sorry, still working on it.

Let's just say that I've learned not to let the kid into the surf until after I've downloaded all the vacation pix from the memory card.*

And now we don't delete ANYTHING anymore until we're on dry land...
I hear JG's ex wife knows how to upload photos... *:P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:45 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo
I would still be at work if it had not been from the info I got on this forum
Cool! Similar story here. I was a long-time lurker before I retired--and posted my "Hi, I am..." I think on the same day(!). If it hadn't been for all y'all, I might've dragged along awhile longer, feeling unhappy and not sure if it was just the need to ER <it was->, I was becoming depressed, or something else was wrong. And almost immediately my brother needed my support while he was hospitalized, confirming my decision.

T-Al, I also delete posts-in-progress often, including twice on thread. Not that the one I ended up posting is necessarily any better than the earlier attempts

Oh--and yes, you are clever and funny
Old 08-09-2006, 10:48 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
But something I often ask myself is: am I posting just to show how funny or clever I am? I have to admit that sometimes the answer is "yes," although I don't do it consciously.
What's wrong with that? I enjoy your posts for both information as well as entertainment value.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:04 AM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
I hear JG's ex wife knows how to upload photos... *:P
Ouch!

Hey, I'm not proud of myself, I set our kid up for failure like an alley full of bowling pins.* But we all learned that when you get back from vacation it's probably more important to download the photos than it is to get caught up on the old mail...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:19 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
I'm here for the "infotainment," the appealing mix of information, humor, facts and factoids, good writing, good thinking, and good support--and, OK, a little drama occasionally.
That pretty much sums it up...."infotainment"
Old 08-09-2006, 11:59 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave
. . .or SGEEE's intense weekly workout routine combined with his weekly 34 glasses of wine!) . . .
It's only ~ 21 glasses. I got a bigger glass.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:10 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

I sometimes participate in a forum about motorhomes. *I don't like it near as much as this one. *The culture here fits me better. *Now I only go there if I have a specific issue or question.

Nords, I am like you in that I must read. *Cereal boxes. *Junk mail. *Anything. *This board became addictive. *Not only interesting reading but I could participate in coversation. * TH/CFB has said about himself that his switch if either on or off. *I am that way about this board. *I can't seem to drop in once in a while, read a few posts, respond to what is interesting, and move on. *I still read nearly every post. *Even the ones talking about putting a replacement engine in a car, and I am not ever going to be doing that. * *

Will I ever get over it and stop posting? *I don't see my habits changing at this point. *I'd miss you all--many of you feel like friends.* That may be a problem for me.* I end up missing people when they leave:* Bob Smith in Iowa and Trumpeting Angel have been gone for some time.* I miss them.* * As Nords said, this is the best board for answering questions and solving problems. *I like the good thought out answers people give. *I like the immediate smart ass comments when people take themselves too seriously. *I like talking about my favorite subject: health care reform. *I like jumping on the tax questions before retire@40 or LOL can get to it. * The tax code is like a jig saw puzzle. *Kind of fun to play with the pieces. I like to hear the perspective of the young dreamers; I am not around enough young people who feel free to speak their mind. *I also like hearing the perspective of those who have been in ER for a good amount of time.

But during the next election I will probably talk politics when I know I shouldn't.

Wab may be right that revolution is good every once in a while. *It will be interesting to what this place is like a couple of years from now.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:17 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnad
Oh, and I think Ha is cute.*
ˇIgualmente Chica!

Additionally, I am male and older* 8)

Ha
Old 08-09-2006, 12:25 PM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.

I post for the intellectual stimulation of varied opinions and the anonymity a forum like this provides.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:58 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
segfault, have you noticed a new guy named h-o-c-u-s posting at the VD board?

Well, the Greaney board was sort of his asylum. *His containment area. * He escaped.

BTW, with a handle like "segfault," is it safe to assume you're a unix weenie?
I have seen the "Greaney" board before, just hadn't seen it referred to by that name.

h-o-c-u-s has managed to alienate quite a few posters on the VD board, his last big idea generated 700 replies (so far).

I am an ex-computer programmer, soon to be lawyer (in a year or so). I hope that my career as a lawyer doesn't meet the same demise as h-o-c-u-s. I used to read Leonard Richardson's parody news site "Segfault.org" during its heyday, so I started using the handle. I still occasionally practice my UNIX skills on my PowerBook.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:11 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a daily lurker and an occasional poster....I love to read and reserach. I generally post to ask questions because I am still learning and there is a wealth of diverse information on this board...
I ended up here because I believe in the dream of early retirement and don't know anyone (other than my spouse, whom I've converted) who does. I couldn't find the information and support that I need to make it happen in my circle of friends and family...
I enjoy all the diverse discussion, great tips, funny exchanges, and unique pesonalities that make this board one of the best I've seen...keep up the good work folks!!!

Adventuregirl
Old 08-09-2006, 01:14 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
ˇIgualmente Chica!

Additionally, I am male and older 8)

Ha
Of course he's cute, haven't you read? He looks like Alfred E. Neuman
Old 08-09-2006, 01:20 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge
...so you pick up useful tips on everything from ant control to end of life situations along the way.
I am glad my infestation provided such a useful service...

I found the forum through a Businessweek article.* I got here and found that this place provided a philosophy to what I had in my head but wasn't completely able to articulate.* Thank you very much for that.

I also appreciate the folks here who allow me to satisfy some of my nerdier curiosites.* Some of the things I enjoy are not widely shared in the circles I frequent.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:57 PM   #76

Nords - well written as usual. I started on a 300 baud modem, too, when living in San Diego and trying to learn about PC's - long BORING story.....

In any case - I do frequent specific blogs for specific interests, but I usually don't comment - I do write here - I'm one of those who doesn't read everything and who posts and then jets off for awhile - cuz I'm still a working stiff.

Why do I come back - well, it's because of people like you (who I've had the honor to meet). You all are erudite, interesting and characters in your own fashion. It's almost like a family reunion--but in this case there are some oldtimers and then new additions who add some new spice to the mix.

What I think is the best about the theme of this BBS (I'll use that term) is that it really deals ultimately with THE question (as philosophers would say) - who am I and why am I here? If one can get to the point where they aren't thinking from a short term perspective, then they can ponder and find the answer to THE question. The answer is different for all of us - and it is easier to find the answer if one isn't buried in the day-to-day and overwhelming external pressures as they perceive it. So, working on being FIRE or understanding that link between time and money gives one a leg up.

On a more practical note - this BBS has some great financial advice - sometimes too detailed for me, but great anyhow - and the people who are FIRE have mastered the LBYM - the axiom of FIRE. Their tips and tricks can help to make the journey easier for those of us who don't have to blaze the trail.

In addition - the quality of the posts haven't suffered over the years. Yes, there are some repeat cycles (as I've noticed in many magazines), but the quality still remains - so it is a worthwhile endeavor to read and post here for me.

'Nuf said - keep up the good work as moderators - you guys are great!

Bridget aka Deserat

Old 08-10-2006, 05:30 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll post today to remind you so many of us read and read but barely post... for many reasons.
If I come up with an intellegent question and search I find it's already been a thread .
I'll post today because I feel like I know so many of you, you are the family and friends that I can discuuss ER even though I just tend to listen.

I'll post today because everone I know gives me strange looks when we even start to discuss retiremnet (and we are farely old in this forum 46+48)

I'll post today cause whenever I read I always find I laugh out loud at least once.
I'll post today cause I'm always learning something new on these boards

I'll post today because I'm beginning to realise this foruom is important to me and I need to give back ~

I'll post today to say thank you !!

But I might not post tomorrow cause I type badly and spell even worse and still aren't sure about opening up myself to a bunch of friends/ strangers.... I am after all still a new englander at heart and I've only been lurking on a year and a half
Old 08-10-2006, 05:35 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Ya can't spell much worse than I do.

I am older than you too.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 05:40 PM   #79
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

There their Martha, don't be so hard on yourself.

5j404, don't be shy. The asylum can always handle a few more inmates...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:07 PM   #80

Invariably, every forum will have a post titled "Why Do You Losers Post Here Instead of Living Your Lives?" Well, posting on a forum is easier than meeting up with people in a bar. It's cheaper, and people don't start looking "very good" after 3 beers, so you can keep the convesation somewhat on topic instead of getting all horny and thus losing much of your higher brain functions.

Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote