Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Why in the world would you post to (eeeuw) a discussion board?!?
Old 08-10-2006, 10:15 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Great topic! With 'only' 80 some posts to my name (DW would think that is a lot), and occasionally lurking for the past three years (pretty steadily lately), I am compelled to jump in to the fray on this one.

RE:
Quote:
They think it's something done by losers loners who can't handle actual human contact
I discussed this recently with a friend. I made the analogy that a good forum is like going to a cocktail party. However, instead of getting 'stuck' with a group discussing the same-old-same-old, it is like you can listen in on a hundred different conversations, and jump immediately into those that interest you. And you don't need to do that awkward ' I think I'll go mingle over there for a while', thing. And, at any time, you can shout out 'Hey, I got a question', and everyone can listen and chime in if they are interested.

I think it is a fantastic dynamic that you can't really get from most face-to-face meetings. And I really appreciate the diversity of input and knowledge on this forum in particular. I regularly log in and post to only one other forum, and check out a few others when I need something related to their specific focus.

I only post occasionally, as someone else said, there are so many good people here providing the answers, why muddy the waters? But, I do try to add something, if I think I have some specific knowledge to share. And to post questions - Martha was a great help just yesterday getting me back on track on capital gains.

I had a feeling she could not resist a post with "PUB 523" in the heading.

Thanks to all, keep up the great work - ERD50

ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2006, 10:44 PM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsOfVeal
so you can keep the convesation somewhat on topic instead of getting all horny and thus losing much of your higher brain functions.
Are you sure you're talking about this board?!?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:07 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's great not being limited to converse with the people in your immediate physical vicinity! Ahh - the power of the internet!

Audrey

P.S. I have seen FAR more threads hijacked (i.e. deliberately strayed pulled off topic) on this forum than any other by far. LOL!!
Old 08-21-2006, 06:24 PM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I can't just drop in, comment in a thread or two, and then wander off again for weeks

As you might guess from the tardiness of my response, this describes me fairly accurately.* I sometimes stay away for periods of time because I still have a jo... jo...* er... I have to wo... uh... wor... uh...*

...WORK!*

There, I've said it.* Hope I didn't offend anyone with the "W" word.*

Sometimes the rest of my life gets more demanding, if not more important, than visiting with y'all, and I have to stay away for a time.

When I do visit I like this forum a lot -- its the only one I read with any regularity.* There are many wise people here who are willing to share their experience, knowledge, and personal history with me, and I thank them all.* Their breadth of experience means I can get help with a property question, a 401(k) question, or a question on good, safe hotels in Bangkok. (Thank you, A.) If I want to debate immigration reform or the war in Iraq, or the comparative intelligence of our president relative to a sack of hammers, I can find that here too!

I especially like hearing from other areas of the country / world.* I love California, but I think its healthy to be reminded that there are people who view the world from different vantage points.

Where else can you get all that in one place?* And free, to boot.

Also, I like to visit during the workday itself (if it's not too crazy), when I'm bored out of my skull or frustrated beyond belief, to remind myself that there IS a light at the end of the tunnel.* *In a nutshell, I find HOPE here.

Finally, I like to chat with people who, unlike certain members of my family, don't call me a "drudge" or a "money-grubber" just because I choose to LBYM in the hopes of FIRE.* It's SAFE for me here.

(Which reminds me of one last reason -- nobody here has ever asked me for a loan! ;-D

C.

Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:13 AM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

I posted a few times a couple of months ago and haven't done it since.

Here are some of the reasons (in no particular order)
1. It seems that many of you know each other for a long time and there are many inside jokes/ comments / questions go on
2. We (me and my DH) are nowhere near ER, so asking questions about something concrete would be wasting people's time. Asking general questions might be as useful as I think our situation is not very "general".
3. I am still trying to determine the range of topics covered here

The reason I come back and still read a lot of the posts, is because people on here seem like they have good knowledge and experience that they are willing to share, and many have really great sense of humor

Lena

Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:19 AM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

The range of topics is nearly limitless. People even talk about work.

I wouldn't worry in the least about wasting peoples time with your specific questions even though you are not close to ER. There are many young dreamers here far away from ER.

New blood is good.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:46 AM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Martha.

You guys are very welcoming

Lena
Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:55 PM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

This is the best forum I have found so far on the Internet. People are intelligent and it covers all kinds of lifestyle topics that really get at the meaning of life. The advice on what's important, investments, living situations etc. is invaluable. Although I don't post as much as I would like to right now, I intend to participate more in the future particularly on topics such as travelling, expat situations, escaping the rat race, redefining the meaning of retirement etc. Thanks for the thoughtful thread Nords, as usual.

JoJo
steinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:08 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

1. I think of this forum as "low-impact fellowship." I can come and go. If I missed yesterday's (last week's, last year's) thread I can catch up at my leisure. Or not. Sometimes I feel like talking, sometimes I feel like reading. People are friendly, and when they're not, I don't have to read them.

2. This is the only forum that I read and then talk about with my friends, because the topics and discussion are interesting (and the jokes are funny).

3. I've said before I find the artless prattle about personal finance with complete strangers compelling. People here are refreshingly uninhibited on the subject of money. It's fun and fills some sinister need for me (I was brought up Methodist--we don't talk about sex or money. 'Cept here.)
LRS is offline   Reply With Quote