Why is this board so blue?

- SG said:
I don't know where you live, but this is the exact opposite of my own experience. It seems to me that there are many neo-cons today that are very aggressive in their demands that everyone conform to their view. Even the Republican Party is beginning to fracture because of this attitude that is so prevalent in the current administration.

Clearly plenty of idiots on both sides. I'm sure there are tax dollars being spent to research this.

Well, well, well.  I'm somewhat surprised to see a virtual consensus that this board does tilt blue. 

However, it still is unclear whether this is just a coincidence, or whether there is some underlying structural reason.  I'm not sure I buy the independent free-thinkers/FIRE nexus, but I suppose anything is possible. 

Possibly it has something to do with the fact that the board is mostly populated by (ex) worker-bees who are struggling with ways to ensure that they have the $30K, $50K, $70K or whatever annual income necessary to retire?  That would seem to speak to a bluer demographic.  Or maybe that health care and social security are more than a mere abstraction, or passing concern here? 

Dunno...

tozz said:
Well, well, well.  I'm somewhat surprised to see a virtual consensus that this board does tilt blue. 

However, it still is unclear whether this is just a coincidence, or whether there is some underlying structural reason.  I'm not sure I buy the independent free-thinkers/FIRE nexus, but I suppose anything is possible. 

Possibly it has something to do with the fact that the board is mostly populated by (ex) worker-bees who are struggling with ways to ensure that they have the $30K, $50K, $70K or whatever annual income necessary to retire?  That would seem to speak to a bluer demographic.  Or maybe that health care and social security are more than a mere abstraction, or passing concern here? 

Dunno...

Doesn't matter how "blue" it gets here. I can tip it back into the
"red zone" all by myself :)

JG

The board may be blue - but all my pit stops socializing with retiree's are definitely red - often I'm the only blue marble in the bucket - to paraphrase W. Edwards Deming's: The Red Bead Experiment - except I believe red/white beads are the usual choices.

SG-

I agree with you in terms of the public figures you hear about, I am talking about everyday people that I know. From my neighbors (one of the most Democratic counties around), to my work place (one of the most conservative Republican companies around). In both situations, where they are minority vs. majority...the more Democrat- leaning folks THAT I KNOW seem more likely to engage in debate and try to convince others that their point of view on things is correct.

Maybe they think that I am a possible convert because I'm middle-of-the-road.

Seems to me that the party who is not in office makes lots of noise about what that moron that IS in office is doing. So it changes hands from time to time.

As far as blueness on this board...hmm...I only see three or four 'real' liberals (although I still like them ;) ). Few other folks that dabble in it. Lots of people mad at one thing or another.

Last year I went to a colleague's house for a party. They were Republicans and his wife, who made jewellery (the big chunky kind with semi-precious stones, beads, etc.) took me to her workshop/office room to show me some of the pieces she was working on. During the couse of the conversation she told me that Democrats did not buy this kind of jewellery. Maybe that is how so many can retire early. :)

BTW, I do not wear that type of jewellery!

Oooops! The SO likes that kind of jewelry - and she voted for Bush!

Good thing I'm the 'Godfather' of the investment plan.

I wonder if there is a statistical connection? - ala the ER and INTJ theory of REHP.

shiney said:
Last year I went to a colleague's house for a party.  They were Republicans and his wife, who made jewellery (the big chunky kind with semi-precious stones, beads, etc.)  took me to her workshop/office room to show me some of the pieces she was working on.  During the couse of the conversation she told me that Democrats did not buy this kind of jewellery.  Maybe that is how so many can retire early.   :)

BTW, I do not wear that type of jewellery!

Hey, I'm glad this came up. I own a watch (Seiko, 25 years old) and my wedding band. That's it. DW has a bit more but not much. My former
spouse was "dripping with diamonds". Nuff said! :)

JG

Back
Top Bottom