Join Early Retirement Today

Why is water leaking into freezer under fridge?
Old 08-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why is water leaking into freezer under fridge?

I have an Amana 22 cu ft refrigerator with the freezer under the fridge (model is ABB2221FEW). I bought it new on 5/3/2010, 2 weeks after the warranty expired I found water on the floor under the unit. There is no water line going to the fridge.

About 3 or 4 weeks later I discovered there was a lot of ice built up on the floor of the freezer. I finally saw water coming into the freezer in the back near the top of the freezer which is the bottom of the fridge. The water on the floor apparently ran out of the freezer before it froze after a huge ice build up no longer could retain the water for it to freeze. I say this because now every 3 weeks I remove the ice build up. Yesterday the ice build up was a lot, more than normal, and water was about to run out of the freezer so I assume this is how it got under the fridge. No water has appeared under the unit since I started to remove the ice.

Any idea what is causing this and what it requires to fix? Initially I removed everything from the unit for 24 hours and left the doors open and I thought any frozen/clogged line would correct the problem but it didn't.

My last unit like this, different manufacturer, failed after 7 years and now this one is just over 2. This is getting expensive if this unit is shot and can't be fixed!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had a simular problem a year or so ago with my Whirlpool refrig.

Good Luck.

Give this link a peek.
http://www.diyforums.net/my-amana-bo....-6165620.html

I saved this info from my search. It all helped me resolve the problem. I recall finally using DWs hair dryer to complete the mission.
Quote:
When the freezer is auto defrosting the water runs into the refrigerator or on the floor. I do not know how to access the drain hose to the condensation pan.

The easy fix is to empty the unit, turn it off and leave teh doors open for 12hrs. If that isn't an option remove the back wall of the freezer (1/4 nuts) Beneath the evaporator is a catch. You'll find that it's iced up. use hot water to defrost. Once the hot water flows freely to the pan under the unit you're done
````

condensation seems to be dripping from vent/temp control on top of refrigerator unit [below freezer]. when I place a flat pan on the top refrigerator shelf to catch water it freezes in the pan. The removable factory pan to catch condensation located at the bottom of the refrigerator is completely dry. Could the condensation drip hose be clogged? How can I check or clean it?

The problem is the defrost drain trough is plugged with ice. You will have to turn off the refrigerator, remove the freezer back panel and use a baby aspirator to help you apply and remove hot water to melt the ice. Then insert the aspirator in the drain hole to blow out any thing that may have gotten lodged inside. You will hear the water draining now to the pain underneath the refrigerator. Hope that helps you, good luck!!

Q:
Whirlpool refrigerator leaking water inside! Help!?
I have an older Whirlpool refridgerator with a top freezer. It is dripping water inside the fridgerator from the top. Does anyone know why it's doing this and how to stop it? Thank you! (Yahoo! Answers)
Best Answer:
A:
Because the drain hose is stopped up, probably with frozen water. You're gonna need to get a big ice chest, put all your food in it, then let the fridge and freezer completely thaw out. I'm having to do exactly this same process this weekend. There may be a tray in the freezer that you'll need to take off too, prolly will have a ton of ice under it.

````

What probably is happening is probably the drain tube needs to be cleaned .It is located in the refrigerator on the upper back of the inside. Obtain a turkey baster and fill with baking soda and water.Flush out the drain tube and see if the the unit is clogged with debris.Another trouble spot is to check your fridges door gaskets and see if they are ripped and need replacing.What happens is warm air could be entering the fridge and come into contact with cold air and cause a condensation problem. Another scenario is that the unit is not defrosting and causing a buildup of ice.The thermostat could be stuck or defective or the defrost limit is defective and not engaging the defrost element to defrost the unit. Once you start having trouble inside the sealed unit it is best to call an appliance repair technician.Cheers
`````
:
In the center of the top of the fresh food section there is a drain cup that just plugs into the drain line at the back. Just pull it straight out and rinse it out and put it back.

`````

My refrigerator is leaking water inside the fridge:

Most times this is a plugged defrost drain system. The defrost heater in the freezer section melts the frost and changes it to water, this water is suppose to flow down a drain system. If this drain system is restricted or plugged the water will leak inside the refrigerator. The drain system starts in the freezer section with a tray built under the evaporator coil. The water is funneled through a small hose into a cup in the top middle of the fresh food section ( not on all models, but this is the most common way ), from there, the water is directed out the back wall to a drain hose that runs down the back of the refrigerator into a condensing tray. The heat created under the fridge makes the water evaporate and disappear. Some of the cups ( in the top back of the fresh food section ) can be removed for cleaning. A turkey baster can be used to help clean out the drain system. Fill the baster with hot water and "blast" it into the drain hose to help flush it out. A piece of wire or pipe cleaner can also be pushed into the drain hoses to help clean then out. On a S x S style of fridge the drain system is in the bottom back of the freezer section and often you will have to remove the evaporator cover to access the drain hole. You can clean this out in the same manner as previously mentioned, but because of the water leaking into the freezer instead of the fresh food section you will have to remove the ice build up to clean out the drain system. For some reason Whirlpool has found a need to "hide" the drain hose inside the walls now ( Whirlpool makes many of the Kenmore branded refrigerators ) on there top freezer refrigerators. This makes accessing the drain hose to flush it out more difficult, no cup inside the fresh food section, no hose down the outside back wall and the only access is inside the freezer section behind the back false wall and under the evaporator coils.

http://www.diyforums.net/my-amana-bo....-6165620.html

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #3

Thanks. Emptying the fridge and freezer then leaving the doors open for a full 24 hours would have defrosted any ice in a tube but debris in the tube may remain and may be the problem. After reloading the unit I saw water dripping into the freezer within a day or so. I considered a blockage but forgot to note it in the post.

Unless there's a problem with water freezing in the drain tube (design issue but it was fine for 2 years) I'm thinking it has to be a blockage. I set the fridge to 'normal' setting probably 40-42 degrees and the freezer is set 1/2 between warmest and coldest per the manual. Everything was fine for 2 years and 2 weeks. I'm not really comfortable removing the back panel on the unit to use a baster on the tube.

Anyone have this problem and get a repairman out to fix it? If so what was the problem?
Old 08-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #4

Have you noticed a drop in temperature in the freezer accompanied by an ice buildup on the freezing coils? I had these symptoms in a 10 year-old side-by-side Frigidaire refrigerator freezer, and it turned out to be a broken heating filament in the defroster. I had a repairman come and it cost me about $200 for the house call plus installation of a new heating filament.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #5

I don't see freezing coils, I assume they are hidden behind the panel on the back.

The temperature in the freezer isn't low, bread is hard, bread gets soft fast if temperature is too high. Ice cream is hard also, everything in the freezer is hard, there's no indication that it is not keeping things frozen properly. I haven't put a thermometer in there.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

We had this problem with our old refrigerator . In the bottom of the freezer there is a small drain hole . We had to irrigate it with warm water occasionally . You can also probe it with a thin wire . I finally got feed up and bought a new refrigerator and we moved that one to the garage . It never leaked again.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

It sure sounds like a blocked drain tube from the info posted by mickeyd. When it defrosts, it should drain water out through that hose to a pan, where it evaporates. So every symptom adds up here - that water is freezing inside the unit. Everything is cold, but at some point the ice build up would make it work very inefficient.

Shouldn't be too hard to unblock the drain hose. I think it runs through a trap like under a sink, so water can come out, but the cold air doesn't escape so freely. I don't think there is a valve or anything, so if you can hook up another tube and blow back through it, that should tell you if it is clear.

Our 20 year old Amana bottom freezer is still ticking, relegated to the basement after our last re-model.

-ERD50
Old 08-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #8

The problem is I have no idea where the drain tube is, I don't see a pan under the unit that water would collect in. Remember the freezer is under the fridge and the water leak is coming from the upper right hand side in the very back of the freezer. Typically the freezer is on top so the water would flow down and leak into the fridge. Why water is coming from the very top of the freezer, basically from the bottom of the fridge, is confusing me.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:33 AM   #9

Quote:
The problem is I have no idea where the drain tube is, I don't see a pan under the unit that water would collect in.
Find where the warm air blows out of when it is running. That will be the condenser fan, the drain pan is usually right by the condenser fan, so the fan's airstream blows over it, to help evaporation from the pan.

Quote:
Why water is coming from the very top of the freezer, basically from the bottom of the fridge, is confusing me.
Common places for the evaporator:

1. Behind a panel at the rear of the inside of the freezer compartment.

2. Inside the separator panel between the freezer and the refrig section. In a top-freezer with the evap in the separator panel, you would remove the panel (bottom plate) in the freezer, and there would be the evap in a tray, with the defrost heater element and a drain. I would assume that a bottom-freezer could have the evap in the separator panel still, as it is centrally-located for easy airflow to both freezer and refrig sections. And water still drains by gravity, so an overhead panel access is unlikely. Is there a removable panel at the base of the refrig section?
Old 08-13-2012, 06:23 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Check the filter if it has water output in the door. Ours was not changed in one year and water leaked because of it.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
The problem is I have no idea where the drain tube is, I don't see a pan under the unit that water would collect in. Remember the freezer is under the fridge and the water leak is coming from the upper right hand side in the very back of the freezer. Typically the freezer is on top so the water would flow down and leak into the fridge. Why water is coming from the very top of the freezer, basically from the bottom of the fridge, is confusing me.
These show the drain and pan. The 'tube' looks very short, more of just a connector from the freezer to the drain/evaporator pan, since it is such a short distance.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...W/1268/0161000

http://goo.gl/fDXvM
http://goo.gl/7C98Z
http://goo.gl/aU20U

Once that is plugged, the ice will build up, and on defrost, I imagine the water might run just about anywhere, or maybe that is the first place it can exit? Hard to tell from these diagrams for me.

-ERD50
Old 08-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #12

This is an interesting thread, since this keeps happening to us recently and my husband accuses me of spilling ice cube trays when I put them back in the freezer. (Yes, due to our hard water, we no longer have an automatic ice maker and our fridge is too old for one with a filter.)
Old 08-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #13

I have the same issue on my Whirlpool upright 20 cu ft freezer, circa 2002 that we inherited from the previous homeowners. My issue has been happening ever since we turned it on 3 years ago. Amana is really a Whirlpool since they bought them out a few years ago. I've been using a small rubber mallet to crack up the ice buildup every few weeks. After seeing this thread today, I decided to open up the back panel again (for the 2nd time now) inside the freezer to see if I can fix the issue. The big flaw with these units is the condensation drain hole is too small, 1/2" or smaller and probably should be bigger. I didn't let my unit defrost, just removed the 4 screws on the back panel, used my rubber mallet and a small screwdriver to remove the ice buildup around the drain hole. Then I used an allen wrench to tap out the ice inside the hole. I used a scrap piece of 12 gauge electrical wire and a small pipe cleaner that's about 8-10" long to ream out any leftover ice pieces and the buildup inside the drain tube. There was a lot of brown gunk that I removed. Just make sure you unplug the unit before trying this. Hopefully, this will stop the buildup. I did pour some water in the drain before and after cleaning the hose. If you get any more than a small trickle of water, the water flow is poor and will probably increase the chance of ice buildup inside the access panel. The drain tube lays on top of my compressor, I think the design depends on the heat from this to help keep the water from freezing once it gets to the outside of the unit, but causes the tube to increase buildup. After searching the internet on my unit, it seems you should at least check for this problem every year or two. Only problem is, it's behind an access panel and they don't give you any info in the manual, it must be a way to produce service tech revenue.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #14

Thanks for the help. I'll pull the unit out and look at the back to see if there's a panel at the bottom to access the freezer section where the drain pan and fan should be. I thought the entire back (panel) of the unit had to be removed and that's what I was hesitant to do but if it is a small panel as some of those diagrams appear and so look like what is back there then I'll try.

Quote:
Check the filter if it has water output in the door. Ours was not changed in one year and water leaked because of it.
I have no idea what this means.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
Thanks for the help. I'll pull the unit out and look at the back to see if there's a panel at the bottom to access the freezer section where the drain pan and fan should be. I thought the entire back (panel) of the unit had to be removed and that's what I was hesitant to do but if it is a small panel as some of those diagrams appear and so look like what is back there then I'll try.
The small panel I was referring to is inside the freezer compartment. From the rear outside of my freezer at the bottom, I can see my compressor as the access is pretty open, there's no door there.. If I had a longer pipe cleaner I probably could've cleaned it from this rear end. But to unclog the ice, you'll need to get to that access panel inside the freezer along the back panel.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #16

I just pulled the unit out into the open to get at the back. I expected to remove a small panel instead the entire width of the unit is 1 panel. There's about 8 sheet metal screws and the base of the panel looks like it hooks into the bottom of the unit, the power cord needs to be removed, there's foam insulation on the top of this panel across the entire length, too much to contend with. Bottom line is I'm not comfortable taking that panel off. I see what is probably the compressor but need to remove this panel and if i have trouble getting it back on well.... my favorite saying is "any idiot can take something apart, it takes someone that knows what they are doing to put it back together".... I'm screwed.

I'm the same person that around 1979 blew the rear differential in my 4 wheel drive truck, upon inspection it was defective not my fault. There were 10 bolts that were bolted into the ring gear, 1 bolt was missing and the whole thing broke after a few years. So after talking to some people I dropped the rear driveshaft, unbolted the carrier unit that holds the diff's internal gears, unbolted the full floating axles and slide them out, removed the diff (boy it was heavy!), bought a used diff and 1 new axle half shaft, put it back together and it worked and is still working today.

But that was then, today I doubt I'd attempt that but maybe, the fridge not interested. If I have to I'll pay a serviceman to come and decide why the water is leaking into the freezer and hope it is repairable. I don't want to spend the money but it won't break me and I won't worry myself to death wondering if I can get it back together.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

The dip tube is shown here - #6

http://goo.gl/aU20U

If you really can't get to the pan, I would let it thaw and run some compressed air back through that tube. Lung power should do, or the output of a shop-vac. I bet there is just some gunk in there.

Or even connect with a garden hose (but only use low pressure), you should see that water flush out inside the unit. That might work better to flush any gunk out, air might just dislodge it for a while.

I used to have to do this with a dishwasher drain about once a year. There was a solenoid valve I'd have to clip open, but that would clear it for another year or so. No valve on a fridge, so just blow/flow it out.

This is worth another LBYM try!

-ERD50