Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Why not drive a Tesla?
Old 06-19-2017, 06:45 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why not drive a Tesla?

Just test drove a Tesla. I'm wow'ed!

Acceleration is unbelievable. Huge display screen. No shifting, just let your foot off "gas" and it slows. Quiet. Handles great. For service, the mechanic comes to you.

Maybe this is what I should do with the portfolio windfall of the last few years.

So, if cost were not an issue, why wouldn't you drive a Tesla?

Anyone here have one?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2017, 06:52 PM   #2

I've never been a car lover. Far from it. Just wanted value and reliability.

But if cost wasn't an issue I'm totally agreeing with you. I'd own a Tesla. Love them.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:01 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would need an outlet to plug it into. My condo building doesn't have them. If demand rises, we may instal the outlets (probably requiring a resolution at the AGM and a special assessment). After that, if the price was right, and if I was in need of a new vehicle, and if it met my needs, sure, I would buy a Tesla.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:13 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Nothing against Tesla specifically but I have a "negative" interest in any electric cars. I don't even use an electric weed eater. But hey, "don't blow a fuse" , if that's what you get a "charge out of" , go for it.

Internal combustion for me.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:13 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

IIRC clifp has a Tesla.

I'm in the same boat as Meadbh. Our condo does not have a charging station even though there is a law on the books that all parking lots in Hawaii beyond a certain size must have one. Of course, there is no provision for enforcement.

In any case, I would kind of like to own a Tesla though it makes no sense financially. The technology (not to mention the acceleration) is way cool. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:21 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Not trendy enough for me.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:21 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

1) Nearest service center is 3 hours away. I'm not sure how well the mobile service ranger program would really work for me.

2) Range is another issue. I don't want to wait for a 30 minute charge every 3 or so hours on a long drive. I also just don't like the idea of limited supercharger stations and the prospect that I might have to wait for an open plug. I don't know how often that happens, and I could probably change my trip habits if that was the only drawback, but it kind of has the feeling of driving a gas car knowing that there are very few gas stations along the way.

In 5-10 years I can see the service issues being reduced, more charging stations going up, and my long distance driving trips being reduced, and then a Tesla could definitely be in the picture.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:30 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

No interest in a car that I have to rely on the dealer to much service work. Prefer to do my own work or use local, reasonably priced mechanics. A secondary issue is I keep cars a long time (last one 21 years) and I don't expect Tesla will prevail as a car company. Yes as a solar panel manufacturer and maybe even a space company, but their car company needs to start showing regular profits before I'd personally consider one.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:31 PM   #9

I have a Model 3 on order. My friends have two Tesla Model S cars and they both love them. I've driven the Model S several times and immediately lost interest in ever owning any other car than a Tesla.

I have used the semi-autonomous driving to drive up the 405 freeway in LA and it works flawlessly. The carpool lane sticker is a huge bonus, as is the tax credit.

But most importantly, it's amazing to drive. I can't really justify spending $100K on one, but I'll gladly pay for my Model 3 when it's ready for me.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:37 PM   #10

I don't want to make Elon Musk any richer than he already is.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:07 PM   #11

I appreciate the technology and the performance, not the range limitations, but I'm with Car-Guy: internal combustion for me.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:13 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I often drive 850 and 1200 mile routes, so I'll stick to fossil fuels as they are quick, and available in lots of places, unlike a charging station.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:28 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Electric cars have their place, but not in my driveway.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:38 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Well, if price was not an issue, that means I have that $100 mill I needed to hire a FA....

A Tesla would be one of the many cars in my stable... I am sure I would drive it around for short trips, but would never consider it for a long trip...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:39 PM   #15

If cost wasnt an issue, a 1974 Cadillac brougham 75. the back seat was made for big boys like me.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:42 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

For some reason they annoy me ... such a blatant techno-geek status symbol, at least around here. I'll stick with my retro analog 1986 Porsche 911.
steadystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:01 PM   #17

I agree, they are great. My friend has had one for 2 years now, he loves it, zero maintenance. He does sales across 5 states, he has figured out how to work charging into his lunch breaks and they have done a few multi state trips..he says with a child, you have to stop every few hours anyway, so not really a hassle.

Now I thought they said they were going to start charging for charges, not sure what that will run. I also know insurance companies hadn't figured out how to price it really yet, so I think they were getting a bargain. as while there is really not as many things that can go wrong, with all the sensors built into the bumpers, an accident (which he had one) requires special electric skills to make sure everything is working again.

now there is the concern Tesla S got hacked and with all its fancy features, it could become a security/safety issue... though other cars may have this same issue.

And of course if your married, you can't just buy 1. My friend tried that.. and the wife is hinting REALLY hard that when her car is replaced, it would need to be equal to her husbands. I did try to help him out though as I mentioned their son is only 2 years away from his drivers license so they may want to have a car for him to drive thats not a Tesla... one that you can take places where door dings are likely to occur.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:22 PM   #18

Range is the main reason in my mind. Very minimal maintenance required which is a big plus in my book. I have a reservation for a Model 3.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:24 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
.......... Very minimal maintenance required which is a big plus in my book.............
Good point. These yearly oil changes are killing me.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:33 PM   #20

If you're a two (or more) car household - why the range worry?

I'd love a tesla. I just haven't quite gotten past the sticker shock.