Join Early Retirement Today
Old 05-02-2008, 09:57 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by BoutDone View Post
Stop blasting Al Gore! He is doing the best he can!
Dun dunaadunnnaa

Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

When was the last time oil rose more than 50 cents?
Old 05-02-2008, 01:29 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
When was the last time oil rose more than 50 cents?

Originally Posted by d View Post
ethanol is likely not economically viable even at current gas prices, and perhaps not at all. it's pure politics.
Ethanol subsidies increase the profitability but don't make it profitable in itself. The subsidy existed for years but produced no ethanol because it was not economic with the low cost of oil. With oil rising by leaps and bounds, it is becoming ever more profitable at roughly 1 bu corn to 2 gal gas, taking into account the lower energy content of ethanol. If gas increases $1 gal, expect corn to increase $2 bu.

There are crop subsidies that have kept food prices artificially low. These are disappearing now since ethanol is economic. Eliminating those subsidies would slow ethanol but not lower food prices. Politics are bad, but in this case, economics is worse.

aenlighten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:38 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
"Why Not Lose the Ethanol Mandate??"
Follow the money.

There're no lobbie$ for anything that doesn't make some big constituent money.
Logic be damned.
ADM is probably the biggest. (Kind of long, but instructive.)
Archer Daniels Midland: A Case Study In Corporate Welfare
waltwill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:55 PM   #24
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Ethanol is a short-term solution that is intended to help continue to utilize the current infrastructure and the internal combustion engine. It combined with the Hybrid will probably be replaced by some all (or primary electric) electric vehicle in 10 years.
A short-term solution to bridge the gap with more supply until we have a robust and affordable alternative to burning gas.

You mean like ANWR?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:24 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I'm surprised the politicians would touch this:

Democrat Barack Obama said Sunday the federal government might need to rethink its support for corn ethanol because of rising food prices, a stance similar to Republican John McCain's but at odds with farm states considered important to the November election.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Im glad they both touched it. As a voter than means something to me
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:20 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.
Correct me if I'm wrong but there seems to be some confusion in this thread with regard to ethanol as a fuel or as an additive to reduce CO.

(1) Like MTBE, ethanol can be used as an additive to reduce CO emissions. Of course the ethanol does burn but I don't think that the % ethanol is as high as when it is used primarily as a fuel rather than as an additive.

(2) Of course ethanol can also be blended with gasoline and the mixture can be used as a fuel.

I think that it makes sense to use ethanol as an additive to reduce CO particularly in cities such as LA. I certainly prefer it to MTBE.

I haven't looked into it in detail but ethanol for fuel from corn seems to be as much about politics and subsidies for the farm belt as about good energy policy.

Hopefully ethanol from other bio-sources will make more sense in the future.

mb is offline   Reply With Quote