Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-14-2016, 07:35 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Someone in another threat said "would you do the job for free?"

If you have enough money to not change your life, in effect you are working for free. It might be that type of job.

Today I was out at my part time consulting client. We were talking about next steps to wrap up my involvement. My client said that they were really hoping they could convince me to stay on and go full time. Flattered but not my plan

So nice to have the FI part to be able to politely decline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2016, 08:04 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Oh this might be the deal breaker... My new hair color probably won't fly in the workplace. ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1460685871.091205.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:51 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yup, you may be done.

But your sig says otherwise and that hair looks expensive.

Decisions, decisions....
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:03 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't do it! I will be retired for 2 years this October (from any fulltime consulting work) and I can't imagine going back. Right after I retired I had a similar offer to be the Project Architect on a huge high rise (it is just starting construction right now). I declined and a good friend of mine took the position.

I happened to have a drink with him a few weeks ago and listening to him and all the stress, worries, etc. For me I made the right decision to decline it.

Money would have been great, but I don't really need the money, I have plenty and more importantly I have my time.

good luck on your decision!

ps--love the hair!
hakuna matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:08 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

No one is clamoring for my services, but it would take one helluva pile of money...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:35 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We haven't retired yet. But today, much less the day we are able to walk out the door with our heads held high, we'll have "enough" money; in fact, most would say "more than enough." No amount of money (within two standard deviations of "reasonable") would be enough to draw either of us back into the 10-14 hour M-F and requisite Sat/Sunday workdays (and my big trial prep months and DW's on-call nights/weekends...).

You made your decision to ER. What has changed? (Disclosure, if we received an obscene offer next year that would enable private jet charters for the rest of our lives, we might delay retirement, but other than that ....)
Old 04-14-2016, 11:49 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

I retired 12 years ago at age 50. Like you, I had saved up enough and was financially independent when I decided to leave the workforce. Been single all my life, so no dependents relying on me, which made it easier. (On the down side, I also had no "safety net" in the form of an income-earning spouse.)

As I reflect back on the last 12 years, I realize how important time is and how limited. The time goes by so fast, it is scary. I had many chances to go back to work, but didn't because the personal freedom that retirement allows is priceless. I don't know how old you are, but I see a lot of people dying pretty "young" in their 60's and early 70's. Never know when your time is up. Enjoy it while you are still young enough and healthy enough to enjoy life. So many didn't save up (or had some other unfortunate financial situation) and have to work until they drop. So sad. You are one of the lucky ones.
gumshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:43 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

The book What Happy People Know has some good thoughts. The author works with stressed out guests at The Canyon Ranch spa. He said they all say just a little more money will make them happy - but they all say it no matter how much money they have! From an interview with the author:

"There are five things people think money can buy: a life of leisure, status, possessions, financial security, and wordly power. But look at the reality. One of the main ways millionaires gain their wealth is by sacrificing their leisure and freedom."

5 Things Happy People Know | Prevention
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:33 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
Thanks Walt. The other question of course is "for how long". In other words if I did it at this point when can I ER again? It would not make sense to go do it with the plan to bounce in 1-2 years.
If you would really like to try it but would like the option to back out after a year or two respond with, "Wow, I would love to do that, but I have plans that require me to retire in a year or two at the most so it wouldn't be fair to accept." Maybe they will come back with, "that's fine, give it a shot."
Old 04-15-2016, 05:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Yup, you may be done.

But your sig says otherwise and that hair looks expensive.

Decisions, decisions....

Lol yep I think that sig has timed out.
Need a new one.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:51 AM   #31

It seems like people forget the 'I' in FI - If you truly are independent, you don't 'need' any outside source of money to do any and every thing you really want to do. If you do, in fact, need this money so bad that you're willing to exchange a few years of your life for it, then you're not actually independent yet. If you're just bored, then you might not be the type of person who should attempt to retire early. IMHO no truly F-I-R-E person would ever consider going back to a j-o-b unless it was an insane compensation, didn't involve physically being in an office, and had a defined, limited duration.
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:51 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoe View Post
I retired 12 years ago at age 50. Like you, I had saved up enough and was financially independent when I decided to leave the workforce. Been single all my life, so no dependents relying on me, which made it easier. (On the down side, I also had no "safety net" in the form of an income-earning spouse.)

As I reflect back on the last 12 years, I realize how important time is and how limited. The time goes by so fast, it is scary. I had many chances to go back to work, but didn't because the personal freedom that retirement allows is priceless. I don't know how old you are, but I see a lot of people dying pretty "young" in their 60's and early 70's. Never know when your time is up. Enjoy it while you are still young enough and healthy enough to enjoy life. So many didn't save up (or had some other unfortunate financial situation) and have to work until they drop. So sad. You are one of the lucky ones.

Really good points.

Thanks for taking the time to write.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:56 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
It seems like people forget the 'I' in FI - If you truly are independent, you don't 'need' any outside source of money to do any and every thing you really want to do. If you do, in fact, need this money so bad that you're willing to exchange a few years of your life for it, then you're not actually independent yet. If you're just bored, then you might not be the type of person who should attempt to retire early. IMHO no truly F-I-R-E person would ever consider going back to a j-o-b unless it was an insane compensation, didn't involve physically being in an office, and had a defined, limited duration.

Excellent points- and yes I'm FI so it's clear that I need to figure out why I'm even considering this.
You also gave me an idea- if I decide I'm on the side of trying that I tell them I will do 6 months and they can bring me in as a consultant via an external placing firm rather than an actual employee.
That way if I decide I was insane to even consider it there is an end date for the company and me.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:57 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
The book What Happy People Know has some good thoughts. The author works with stressed out guests at The Canyon Ranch spa. He said they all say just a little more money will make them happy - but they all say it no matter how much money they have! From an interview with the author:

"There are five things people think money can buy: a life of leisure, status, possessions, financial security, and wordly power. But look at the reality. One of the main ways millionaires gain their wealth is by sacrificing their leisure and freedom."

5 Things Happy People Know | Prevention

Yikes lots of truth to that. Thanks.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:33 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Don't do it! IMO, if you have enough $ to retire, there is no point to go back to work unless you find a job that you enjoy more than your free time away from work.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:56 AM   #36

Some how I found my niche - the work is diverse, challenging and Autonomous. Oh there's always a bit of bureaucracy (BS) but it is manageable. Yes there is the god awful city I work in but now I've negotiated 2 days a week from home. I am well compensated and because we have no debt what I earn seems all the more. The pile grows at an astonishing amount each month. It will be difficult to change from the accumulation phase to the spend phase. In the end it is just a job.

My new knee is a godsend because it allows me to garden but more importantly it reminds me each day of my mortality. I've taken to sitting outside in a lawn chair, dog at my feet, just enjoying the fresh air and sunshine.

You and I won't live forever - the sunshine beckons.....

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:46 AM   #37

Quote:
...if I decide I'm on the side of trying that I tell them I will do 6 months and they can bring me in as a consultant via an external placing firm rather than an actual employee.
That way if I decide I was insane to even consider it there is an end date for the company and me.

I was going to suggest something similar to this but without the addition of the external firm: I was thinking of something along the lines of having the word Interim added to whatever title/job-description you are considering with a contracted date for both parties to reevaluate.

It sounds like they think you are perfect for the position; so, even if you are only there for a short time, you could likely add significant value in recruiting and on-boarding someone similar to yourself among other things. Alternately, if all stars align for both you and them, you could have the Interim removed.

Honestly, if your current hair is a stumbling block, I would not be at all interested in the company myself. It is beautiful and only a bit unconventional.

Please let us know where you land on this.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:50 AM   #38

Quote:
I would because I'm hyper responsible and easily moved to take on more than I should. Never really did well at setting boundaries at w&$@.

So what were the reasons you retired in the first place? Would those reasons still apply if you went back to working with the seam intensity, or is there something about this job that you think would be different from your prior one?
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:11 AM   #39
gone traveling

Why would doing it for 2 years not be acceptable? I work in High stress, lower level executive position, and know that if it benefited the company for me to be gone in 1-2 years... BAM!

In my opinion, works both ways.
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:02 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

So I'm enamored with the money, the excitement, all that rot, but I also realize I would be back in the rat race with zero free time on the weekdays, etc.
Weekdays? Only weekdays?

They want your weekends, your nights, your 24/7 time too. The rot has gotten worse.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote