Why the Midwest?

I personally like the more conservative lifestyle of the midwest vs the liberal coasts. However I also have more of a rural than urban preference, which midwest has a lot more rural. Lived in KY for 10 years and it was a good time in my life. Considering it as an ultimate retirement living area. Typically lower COL in midwest is a nice benefit.

I live in Maryland, just east of DC, and there are times I fantasize about moving. But, one thing I like about it here is that, we have four seasons, and for the most part, they're really not all that extreme. The summers can get hot, but there are a lot of places that get hotter! And while the winters can get pretty bad, again, there are places where it's a lot worse.

I think the biggest problem with the winters though, is that we just don't have the infrastructure to deal with them when we have a really bad one. We just don't have them often enough to have all the equipment in place to keep the roads and such clear, so we'll shut down completely for a storm that most New Yorkers or Chicagoans would laugh at.

I'd also imagine they build the homes to be more weather-tight in those areas that are more prone to harsher winters? Or, who knows...I guess there's going to be crap construction no matter where you go.

LOL - my daughter moved from NH to Alexandria, VA (close enough to MD to count) - the first winter she kept calling me and saying "Ma, you should see what they call plow trucks down here!!!"

LOL - my daughter moved from NH to Alexandria, VA (close enough to MD to count) - the first winter she kept calling me and saying "Ma, you should see what they call plow trucks down here!!!"

And I get much joy in listening to my siblings complain about "humidity" and "heat". :LOL:

Chicago is a secret weapon of wonderfulness. I wouldn't give up my childhood there. Nasty winters are fun for a kid. And summer had the beach. When I finally saw the ocean, it was like: "Big deal, we have Lake Michigan... and it includes air conditioning"

That said, I won't move back to IL unless they get their financial act together. I don't need to pay a premium for the collective foolishness of the politicians.

... When I finally saw the ocean, it was like: "Big deal, we have Lake Michigan... and it includes air conditioning" ...

That's the Michigan Ocean! :LOL:

There are not many lakes where you can't see land beyond the horizon. Not so different from an Ocean. From wiki:

... Due to their sea-like characteristics: rolling waves, sustained winds, strong currents, great depths, and distant horizons, the five Great Lakes have also long been referred to as inland seas.

... and Lake Michigan is the largest lake that is entirely within one country.
and...

Consisting of Lakes Superior, Michigan, Huron, Erie, and Ontario, they form the largest group of freshwater lakes on Earth, containing ... 54% of the world's liquid fresh water by volume.

Now I wonder if other school children had learned the HOMES mnemonic - Huron-Ontario-Michigan-Erie-Superior?

Chicago is a secret weapon of wonderfulness. .... That said, I won't move back to IL unless they get their financial act together.

A part of me wants to move to an apartment/condo in Chicago when we decide to downsize. But the financial issues do concern me. Can they kick the can for another 30 years? If so, maybe I'll be OK.

-ERD50

ERD50;Can they kick the can for another 30 years? If so said:
I think that's an overused cliche. There are budget problems that need to be solved. These things affect me.

I think that's an overused cliche. There are budget problems that need to be solved. These things affect me.

Oh, I agree. They should be solved. I was only observing that they have gotten away with kicking the can for many years. And if they are able to do it for another 30 years, then it wouldn't affect me if I decide to stay here.

I'd rather see them fix it, but they need to start now. The longer they wait, the harder it becomes.

-ERD50

Oh, I agree. They should be solved. I was only observing that they have gotten away with kicking the can for many years. And if they are able to do it for another 30 years, then it wouldn't affect me if I decide to stay here.

I'd rather see them fix it, but they need to start now. The longer they wait, the harder it becomes.

-ERD50

OK, we agree to agree. I understand the viewpoint and I, too, want it fixed. It won't be fast, but then the problems weren't either.

OK, we agree to agree. I understand the viewpoint and I, too, want it fixed. It won't be fast, but then the problems weren't either.

I think we all want it fixed - ah but is there hope? I may be wrong, but Illinois is the only state I recall that has had two governors in jail at the same time. One from each party. yikes.

Yet the streets get plowed, the guys with the hoses show up when they need to, teachers still try and pound some learning into kids between their texting, and people keep showing up at Wrigley Field even though there is a big car logo stuck in the left field bleachers. I guess midwesterners are eternally hopeful after all. ;)

Sittingduck;1489299I guess midwesterners are eternally hopeful after all. ;)[/QUOTE said:
We just try to get along. As a Tar Heel, I get to claim Michael Jordan from two places!

I'm spending some time in Iowa right now. The people are nice and I'm in a university town so there's lots of smart people around. But there's no diversity, the restaurants scene sucks (unless you like applebees) and god help you if you want any kind of ethnic, vegetarian or seafood.

The nearest big city is Des Moines and it feels like a ghost town. On the plus side there's no traffic. And you can get gas at Costco without waiting 20 minutes in line.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

We just try to get along. As a Tar Heel, I get to claim Michael Jordan from two places!

Me too. :)

I do miss Chicago, and Illinois from time to time. My first taste of the world outside of the big city was in college downstate. Loved it there too.

But after I got over the "Hey, you moving to Mayberry? Why?" feeling for the South, I discovered there is more. NC has its share of problems too. But at least the state has made an effort to be diverse on many accounts. This draws business and entrepreneurs. We can enjoy ethnic foods. We can enjoy major league sports. I miss major league baseball, but discovered the minors, and we enjoy visiting the many different teams in NC and Virginia. (Road trip!)

Me too. :)

I do miss Chicago, and Illinois from time to time. My first taste of the world outside of the big city was in college downstate. Loved it there too.

But after I got over the "Hey, you moving to Mayberry? Why?" feeling for the South, I discovered there is more. NC has its share of problems too. But at least the state has made an effort to be diverse on many accounts. This draws business and entrepreneurs. We can enjoy ethnic foods. We can enjoy major league sports. I miss major league baseball, but discovered the minors, and we enjoy visiting the many different teams in NC and Virginia. (Road trip!)

Hey, there are the Durham Bulls and the Carolina Mudcats in Zebulon (both nice ballparks). I hear Illinois is coming to play UNC in football next year, too!

I'm spending some time in Iowa right now. The people are nice and I'm in a university town so there's lots of smart people around. But there's no diversity, the restaurants scene sucks (unless you like applebees) and god help you if you want any kind of ethnic, vegetarian or seafood.

The nearest big city is Des Moines and it feels like a ghost town. On the plus side there's no traffic. And you can get gas at Costco without waiting 20 minutes in line.

Seafood? There's always Red Lobster:yuk:

Spent 20 years in Iowa and you have the food situation exactly right.

Nearest reasonable quality opera was in Kansas City, nearest period instrument performing group in Minneapolis. I'll admit, the drives to KC and Minneapolis were pretty stress free, although 3 hours one way is a long time to spend in a car to see an opera or a concert.

But no traffic has it's advantages, one year I had a 57 mile commute - it took me 57 minutes, like clockwork.

Also on the plus side, my YEARLY season pass at a very nice golf course was under $1000. We also lived within walking distance of a grocery store, the library, parks, etc.

No criticism in anyway, just an observation that always hits me any time it is mentioned. That being "lack of diversity" as a negative in a town. Any time I read a "Top Places to Live" article many will mention the lack of diversity as a negative for the town, despite it being a good place to live. Of course if it is an important part of an individuals decision to locate at if it is a negative. But the articles that write this as a negative always strikes me as a little presumptuous that it is bad thing for everyone, as some may prefer that, or that some could care less either way. Then again maybe I am just skewed from living in small rural towns my whole life (mostly by accident, not design) or just the only oddball that has actually thought about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No criticism in anyway, just an observation that always hits me any time it is mentioned. That being "lack of diversity" as a negative in a town. Any time I read a "Top Places to Live" article many will mention the lack of diversity as a negative for the town, despite it being a good place to live. Of course if it is an important part of an individuals decision to locate at if it is a negative. But the articles that write this as a negative always strikes me as a little presumptuous that it is bad thing for everyone, as some may prefer that, or that some could care less either way. Then again maybe I am just skewed from living in small rural towns my whole life (mostly by accident, not design) or just the only oddball that has actually thought about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK, I have to insert my personal experience into this. I've lived and taught in small towns, university towns, and big cities. In the small towns that I have lived, the lack of diversity also reflects a lack of interest and respect for those who are different, not just in ethnicity or race, but in anyway whatsoever. If you are not willing to assimilate to the way that "they" think you should live, then you will not be accepted. In the larger, more diverse communities, there seems to be a willingness to celebrate these differences.

I moved into one small town to teach physics and the principal and school district did everything right to keep me there. But the community never accepted us. We lived there five years and never once received an invitation to join in a social activity. We hosted our Christmas Open House, invited co-workers over, everything, but were never reciprocated. When I finally left, I was told that when I was hired, a betting pool was created on how long I would last. This is how a community accepts newcomers? Why weren't we accepted? To this day I have no idea. I was white, just like everyone else in the town. But my interests weren't their interests. Perhaps because we didn't hunt, had no cable television, built an observatory in the backyard? I wish I had a clue.

Similarly, my family still lives in the community where I grew up. None of my siblings are interested in anything except those who are like them. They have no interest or respect for people with different interests, different tastes, let alone different skin color.

I am sure that there are small towns that are not full of close-minded people, but I wouldn't bet my retirement on finding one.

I realize that I have a small sample size but, in my experience, the presence of outward diversity stands as a pretty good proxy for finding people who are willing to accept and understand differences. Of course, there are communities with very diverse populations that have problems with mutual understanding, also.

Sorry if I come off bitter, but DW still refers to our five years in that community as a black hole in our life.

There are many things that I love about the Midwest, but if I went back it could only be to a university town.

I am sure that there are small towns that are not full of close-minded people, but I wouldn't bet my retirement on finding one.
I'm sure you realize this is an incredibly broad brush you are using. In my experience, "towns" don't accept or reject people, people accept or reject other people. And if we want to find either accepting, open-minded people or closed-minded people who believe their POV is the only one that is legitimate, we can find plenty of each in any big city--or any small town

I'm sure you realize this is an incredibly broad brush you are using. In my experience, "towns" don't accept or reject people, people accept or reject other people. And if we want to find either accepting, open-minded people or closed-minded people who believe their POV is the only one that is legitimate, we can find plenty of each in any big city--or any small town
A very important difference is that when you are in an isolated town of 25,000 people, if you don't hit it with the locals you are out of luck. If you are in a big city, if you can't find some compatible people the reason is likely you, not everyone else. And as regards university communities, they are down with color, ethnicity, gender and orientation aspects, but try to get much acceptance if you are an outspoken conservative, unless it is a religious or avowedly conservative university.

It's like dating, mo' choice is better, and cities have mo' choice

Ha

That's a very good point that you bring up. I think magazines use "lack of diversity" as a criteria because it's the PC thing to do. They would have extreme backlash if they said anything else. However, you're probably right that many people might have no preference on this or actually prefer less diverse towns.

Diversity is an issue for me because I'm a visible minority and will be no matter where I live. I don't think I've had too many problems fitting in and the wife's family have been very friendly and accepting. However, some of her relatives have made blatantly racist comments about other minorities (even though they are fairly well educated) so I can see how some might find the midwest unwelcoming.

The other thing that bothers me about "diversity" is that it's almost always judged on the basis of race and nationality. The SF bay area is very diverse on those measures but it's hard to meet someone who isn't an engineer, research scientist, involved with tech or bioinformatics. In contrast to L.A. where I'd meet all sorts of people in different occupations (although there are a lot of wanna be actors/screenwriters/etc.)

A very important difference is that when you are in an isolated town of 25,000 people, if you don't hit it with the locals you are out of luck.

One time, a group tried to hire me away. Small group, smart and friendly people.

I asked my manager about it, a great guy, full professor, I trusted him. He said if things don't work out, you're stuck. Here there are plenty of groups that would like your help. I stayed and was happy.

Back
Top Bottom