Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-05-2018, 08:06 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Well, that depends on the nature of the work. Nurses are a prime example, as is any other occupation that demands "hands on" work. I just read an article about a coming shortage of aircraft technicians, electrical line workers, police officers, and many other jobs that require a physical presence at the location. It's kind of hard to offshore those jobs and the pay scales are beginning to show it. An aircraft technician earns ~$70k a year, not bad for a job that doesn't require a college degree
Although being a technician may not require a degree it does require schooling. I was a ASE certified mechanic and I had to show a engineer where a part goes that he designed. And better yet I had engineers bring me a parts to install on a prototype veh and laughed when I told him it was a part for a exhaust system and he made it out of plastic.
hopefullyoneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

The Night of the Living Brain-dead
Old 09-05-2018, 08:09 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Night of the Living Brain-dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
I guess I have difficulty believing any person of average intelligence could think that.
I work at a unionized manufacturing plant. You'd be astonished what people will believe. Barely half contribute to their 401k, despite a dollar-for-dollar match on the first 6%. Why? "I don't want to give Megacorp any of my money."

And just in case you aren't sufficiently appalled, remember this: they are allowed to reproduce, and their vote counts as much as yours.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:32 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
How could the CEO's steal something from them which never belonged to them to start with?
In most cases it does belong to them. A good employee with good work ethic works hard and produces a good product to increase profits for the company thinking they will be compensated for their work in making the co. profitable. But then they see no compensation for their hard work but see the upper brass driving new cars.

People use to work hard for their company because it was like family. The co. would take care of them thru raises or bonuses. But the upper brass figured they will pay the employees just enough so they don't quit then keep the profits for themselves. That's why today most people just do the minimum not to get fired and produce sub par products or services.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:36 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I think it is also helpful for employees to understand that it is not "their" job. The job belongs to the company. There can be no "they shipped my job overseas" or "the eliminated my job." If it were really "your" job, you could have taken it with you when you quit that employer.
Funny, because if a employee does not do THEIR job a boss will tell them they are not doing THEIR job.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:39 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

I see these posts so often. So why don't all of you folks who are unhappy with the system, build a better mousetrap. Build the company that you believe should exist.

Yes, there is greed, but having the Gov't muck around won't fix it. The only way to fix it is to take control of your own business and do what others apparently don't have the fortitude to do.

But guess what, you live in America. The opportunity to do so is there. Be the leader. Show those other companies how it is done.
Chris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:44 PM   #66

I run a division of megacorp that manufactures high tech electro optics. My troops surprise me on a daily basis. Smart, dedicated, want to grow. And very skilled. I think they are fantastic. They need some care and feeding (and there are always the PITA ones), but mostly they just want to be part of something important and make a fair wage. And they want to be led, not used and abused. Never once has it come up that my total comp is 20x the average line worker's pay.

And don't get me started on the young college kids. I restarted our intern program last year and have had 19 interns roll through the factory since then. One word: Awesome! Our future is in good hands. Every single one of them stepped up and made a real difference while they were with us. We gave them real work to do and in every case, they exceeded our expectations.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:45 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
I work at a unionized manufacturing plant. You'd be astonished what people will believe. Barely half contribute to their 401k, despite a dollar-for-dollar match on the first 6%. Why? "I don't want to give Megacorp any of my money."

And just in case you aren't sufficiently appalled, remember this: they are allowed to reproduce, and their vote counts as much as yours.
Some people are not taught to invest. My dad worked for Ford's and had a pension so he never had to invest so he never taught me to invest. When I was young I just made as much as I could and spent it just as quickly. Now that I am older and work for a company that does have a pension I know now to invest for the unexpected.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:48 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post

I spent the first half of my carrier as a blue collar union worker (made a mistake and went into management, thats a story for another day) and among my coworkers I would have to say at least 75% of them had 401K's big enough along with their pensions that the day turned 55 they walked out the door.
Part of our orientation when hired emphasized saving for retirement even though our state agency offered 0% match. It was hammered into us that pension alone was not enough.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:59 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefullyoneday View Post
In most cases it does belong to them. A good employee with good work ethic works hard and produces a good product to increase profits for the company thinking they will be compensated for their work in making the co. profitable. But then they see no compensation for their hard work but see the upper brass driving new cars.

People use to work hard for their company because it was like family. The co. would take care of them thru raises or bonuses. But the upper brass figured they will pay the employees just enough so they don't quit then keep the profits for themselves. That's why today most people just do the minimum not to get fired and produce sub par products or services.
Move up or move on then they can have the new cars.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:41 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Move up or move on then they can have the new cars.
I agree but easier said than done.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:45 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I spent the first half of my carrier as a blue collar union worker (made a mistake and went into management, thats a story for another day) and among my coworkers I would have to say at least 75% of them had 401K's big enough along with their pensions that the day turned 55 they walked out the door.
Part of our orientation when hired emphasized saving for retirement even though our state agency offered 0% match. It was hammered into us that pension alone was not enough.
During our orientation we were given a formula so we could figure out how much of a pension we wanted to retire on and plan accordingly. Then after being vested into the company and over half way thru my career we were told "we decided to change your formula and reduce your pension" so now I have to play catch up.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:52 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefullyoneday View Post
During our orientation we were given a formula so we could figure out how much of a pension we wanted to retire on and plan accordingly. Then after being vested into the company and over half way thru my career we were told "we decided to change your formula and reduce your pension" so now I have to play catch up.
Now thats a kick in the ass for sure.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:29 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Now thats a kick in the ass for sure.
Sure is, and since my pension is thru the city I don't get SS even though I paid into it and have enough credits. So the new truck is sold and a 6 year old car is my daily driver. Modest 2300 sq ft house to be sold in near future to move into my 980 sq ft rental. I am maxing out my 457, HSA, and roth accounts. I HAVE to work overtime every paycheck just so make ends meet until I get house sold. So over $1300 coming out of my check every 2 weeks to play catchup. If they would have kept the promise of my pension formula they said I was going to get before I committed to them I could have over $2600 more a month to enjoy life with. Oh and to top it off they are saying that this is just the first of the pension cuts to come.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:44 PM   #74
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Not much empathy for someone who chooses to live in one of the most gentrified places in the country. My DS and BIL make serious coin in the bay area. She's seven years older than me, and they are both still grinding out (likely to ~ 70).

If someone is only worth $11/hour (to an employer), go where the hell $11/hour is real money, or learn to be worth more than $11.

Life is not complicated, but it can be hard.
For many this is where they grew up and their family and friends are all here. There are 40 million people in California, more than the population of Canada (36 million). All the non-tech workers can't up and move to Iowa. Where would they all work? We were helping a young adult that had issues with her parents and she was homeless for awhile. Life can be really hard working multiple minimum wage jobs to make ends meet. She was renting a room in a house with multiple roommates and life was still hard. She would come by our house and crash on the couch in between jobs.

Many of the homeless here are children, mentally or physically disabled, seniors or vets.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:52 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Yes, the plebes and servants shouldn't be seen. Make them live somewhere else. I guess the COL disparity issue is just as relevant these days as the CEO pay disparity.

Right, the Bay are might be the extreme case, but it is expensive in many urban areas where most of the population and blue collar jobs are. A minimum wage worker needs 2.5 wage jobs to afford a one bedroom apartment in most of the U.S.

The U.N. has a special report on the extreme levels of poverty in America and it is not limited to the Bay Area or even urban areas alone.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Simple - we become what we think about
Old 09-06-2018, 01:17 AM   #76
gone traveling

Simple - we become what we think about

With regard to being a "victim" employee..

My biggest motivator during my lifetime was Earl Nightingale. His words of wisdom guided me during my early years, and if taught to all our young people would guide them as well. There are no masters and slaves in America anymore. We are still free to make our own choices in life. We are free to reason through the propaganda which is spewed at us from social and main stream media.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Nightingale

With regard to excessive executive compensation..

It may have gotten too incestuous requiring regulation. Allow me to explain. When a company is privately owned executive compensation should be as high as the owner wants it to be, and he or she is free to pay what ever the market requires to attract the talent required to get the job done. However, when the private company goes public, ownership has been diluted to the point where owners don't have a direct enough connection to the market for labor. Others have stated that the boards are loaded with other executives from private companies who agree to a quid pro quo the pay packages. The ones who are stolen from the most in this system are the individual share holders. Especially since there are still many public corporations with very lucrative employee compensation and benefit packages.

What if a regulation were put in place that executive comp is limited to 40 or 60 times the average company wide salary? Would that encourage increases in corporate wages beyond sustainability, more non wage benefits, or would it encourage higher corporate profit eventually benefiting the shareholders?
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:47 AM   #77

Quote:
Another article that talks about "wages" not "total compensation".

Non wage compensation gets increased to cover higher health insurance costs, but since that's not a "wage increase" it's invisible.
At my former megacorp, as medical costs increased, so did mine. The Co passed much of the increase along.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:26 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Seems that we've crossed some line somewhere where we now believe that wealth is a zero sum game. That somehow I managed to buy my boat not because I was wise with my money but because I stepped on someone else's back.

My own nephew, thinking he was complimenting me, commented: "you must have cheated a lot to get where you are". (After that comment, he'll find out who got cheated when my will is read), but until then the idea of saving, investing and being careful with your money seems to be an odd, outdated concept.

We're now in envy realm vs aspiration; the guy driving the Rolls is a bad guy now instead of someone you want to be.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:14 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
For many this is where they grew up and their family and friends are all here.
That's all well and good, but if you aren't willing to make a move for a better opportunity for you and your family, your chances of success have gone down appreciably. And that's not society's fault, that's your own doing.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:19 AM   #80
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
I saw a lady on SNAP driving a Cadillac Escalade. She couldn't save money because of her lifestyle. She ate better than I did!
A welfare queen reference! Wow. Takes me back to the 80s...

And you know she was "on SNAP" how?
And you know she drives an Escalade how?
And you know she ate "better" than you did how?
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote