Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mine is my name and initial. I should put a picture in for my avatar since I enjoy everyone else's avatars.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #82

When I was 20-ish I was still living with my Mom, paying my way through college as I went and had no big financial obligations, so a coworker with an apartment and live-in girlfriend called me "Big Money". When I eventually got onto financial forums it seemed an appropriate handle, but "Big Money" is usually taken so I use "BigMoneyJim". It is not unique, either, so if you see my name elsewhere it may or may not be me.

In 2004/2005 or so when I volunteered and converted this from from YABB to SMF software (later changed again to vBulletin) I gratuitously added royalty-free smileys and avatars to the built-in collections, and this one was in a series called "mildly abstract". For some reason an abstract avatar and this one in particular appealed to me. Wow, I guess that means I've been using the same avatar for 6-8 years.

I'm generally not a fan of signature lines on forums. It seems a lot of unnecessary repetition to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
(Note I lost the "!"at some point. I was told it was a side effect of aging.)
You got older and turned the volume down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I picked my avatar because she makes me laugh with her perplexed look of surprise.
I always read your name as "best WiFi ever" and am jealous.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #83

Boring name - my initials and (happily) city of residence.

Avatar - for those of you who haven't been on cruises, this towel folding is a variety of what greets you (at least on Holland America) each evening at bedtime. On this day, the stewards added my sunglasses as an extra touch.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Freebird is a state of mind derived from a line ("and this bird you cannot change") in the song of same name by Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Numbers come from 2 significant events in my life.
- 58 is my birth year darn young whippersnapper
- 25 is my age when I married

My usual avatar, Bugs Bunny, is my favorite cartoon character.

My signature is a quote from a man whose genius I admire.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:34 AM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.

Combination of nick name and english name. My avatar features one of the many golf courses I like.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Thanks. I was having trouble reading the inscription. It is just on the edge of my poor eyes' resolution.

I work all over the world, partly due to being unable to hold a real job.

The avatar these days is the symbol of the Richland, WA high school football team, the Richland Bombers. You may be able to make out the words "Proud of the Cloud". Richland is where some of the first atom bombs were built. I am totally politically-incorrect and have no shame. I picked this one after I lost the animated Flying Spaghetti Monster avatar. (If anyone knows where to find it again, please let me know.)

The tag lines come from two songs I heard on the radio. Priceless.
I too have trouble seeing the details in avatars. I saw the big atomic mushroom cloud and the big R and I thought it was retirement going up in smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
I/DW have/had many rescued dogs (Shetland Sheep Dogs - AKA Shelties) over the years.

The avatar is one of the "Babson Boulders" and shows the one how we live from a financial perspective ...

Roger Babson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Neat stuff.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I too have trouble seeing the details in avatars. I saw the big atomic mushroom cloud and the big R and I thought it was retirement going up in smoke.
I like your interpretation! When I chose it, I was feeling desperate.

By the way, a member of this board directed me to FSM avatars. Thank you, amigo!

Now I have to think if I want to switch again.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

my username has been my handle online since I first started bbsing back in the mid 80s.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Chose the name of my favorite geologist (who happens to have found a flambouyant way of announcing his early retirement in "Atlas Shrugged").

Of course, there aren't too many geologists in popular literature to chose from.....
Old 12-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #90

The Ko'olau mountains are (arguably and IMHO) the most beautiful mountains in the world. When I first saw them, I fell in love with their shape and color (they look like ribbon candy and are a deep vegetation green.) To me, they represent half the beauty of Hawaii. The other half is represented by the ocean. 10 minutes after first seeing the Ko'olau, dis midwestern haole boy decided he wanted to live in their shadow. For over 5 years, he has done so. The Ko'olau were an inspiration to FI and ER.

The avatar is a picture of Diamond Head crater - picked in leu of a good picture of the Ko'olau range.

I claim my tag line as original, though I'd be surprised if someone didn't coin it long before i did. Though it was conceived as a political statement about the endless string of laws we pass to "fix" every conceivable problem, it is, in my opinion, true of every human invention and endeavor. Of course, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Handle is because I like to run, especially marathons and ultras. 25 marathons or longer as of 2 weeks ago. It also sounded more unique than Ski Bum, even though I'm that too.

Avatar is a visitor to my backyard, taken from the safety of my deck some 20 feet above.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
My screen name was stolenborrowed from the name of a ski boat of a teenage friend - it seemed appropriate when you were being towed behind that boat.

My avatar is a photo of an unusual "sun dog" on the horizon at dawn a couple days after I went off payroll in February.
Updated because I recently added a signature. It was a favorite saying of my high school creative writing teacher - no idea where it comes from - but it has been almost universally true in my experience (other than major tragedies like 9/11 or the Sandy Hook School shootings - no way to find any humor in those events).
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

Okapi is my favorite animal.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
The Ko'olau mountains are (arguably and IMHO) the most beautiful mountains in the world. When I first saw them, I fell in love with their shape and color (they look like ribbon candy and are a deep vegetation green.) To me, they represent half the beauty of Hawaii. The other half is represented by the ocean. 10 minutes after first seeing the Ko'olau, dis midwestern haole boy decided he wanted to live in their shadow. For over 5 years, he has done so. The Ko'olau were an inspiration to FI and ER.
Well said, and exactly the way I feel too!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #95
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Well said, and exactly the way I feel too!
I was lucky to be able to do quite a bit of climbing in those mountains when I was a teenager. They are even more awesome when seen from that vantage point! I could never do that again at my age and physical condition, but luckily I can see those hikes in my mind any time I want to. I don't know why, but it seems almost impossible to completely capture their beauty in a photograph.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #96
Full time employment: Posting here.

What can I say, I like the mountains. Especially the Yosemite area.

Sounds like I should check out the Ko'olau Mountains some day. Hope so.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

Mine is similar to my Twitter name. I didn't want to have to come up with something new/different for this forum.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #98

As long as we're on mountains... one vote for the Adirondaks... bigger than Yosemite, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and the Great Smoky Mountain parks all put together.
Shudda taken Adirondakid for a username.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

Panhead is the nickname of the Harley Davidson engine made between 1948 and 1965, so labeled because the top of the motor (the rocker covers) look like upturned baking pans. The motor company never gave the engine this name, it was given by the riders. It's one of my favorite bikes I've ever owned, but I have yet to own a knucklehead, so my moniker may change! My sig line is a favorite quote in the book mentioned.
When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #100
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead View Post
Panhead is the nickname of the Harley Davidson engine made between 1948 and 1965, so labeled because the top of the motor (the rocker covers) look like upturned baking pans. The motor company never gave the engine this name, it was given by the riders. It's one of my favorite bikes I've ever owned, but I have yet to own a knucklehead, so my moniker may change! My sig line is a favorite quote in the book mentioned.
Oh!!! So it's not a whimsical pancake-on-head reference after all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pancake.jpg (7.5 KB, 49 views)

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote