Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #61

Walt is my name - could be first, middle or last - and the 34 is part of an ID number that was mine for almost 30 years. Every scrap of paper with my signature on it had that ID number on it too.

The tag line came about when I got a job after I retired. But the job looks like it is going down the tubes and unless there's a rapid turnaround I'll probably be fully retired again by May 1st after saying:

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Purron. Love cats. Volunteer at our local shelter to help them. Hope they all do well and find a reason to "purr on".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg purr.jpg (20.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 12-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Least significant bit in california

Avatar is part of one of my oil paintings.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

I yam what I yam. Keeps me honest.

Besides, I figure that nobody here will figure out that I'm a New Jersey police chief, let alone discover where my high end upholstery business is, or details of my dental practice. Certainly no ER fans would show up at the San Antonio gym where I work out, or want to catch my CNN appearances, attend my college classes, or visit my Arizona grave.

So there's that...

The avatar depicts George Washington on his favorite mount, "Blueskin". This is considered a historical oddity, due to the creatures obviously greenish hue.

(Oh, all right. It's really cribbed from the cover of http://www.amazon.com/Idiot-America-.../dp/0767926153 "Idiot America: How Stupidity Became a Virtue in the Land of the Free", by Charles Pierce.)
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, the screen name is my fervent wish. I hope to change my screen name in early 2014!

The avatar is a picture I took in NJ. Many people who have not seen the beauty in our state, and may think the state looks like the Linden refineries they see when they land at Newark Liberty Airport. So I am just sharing the beauty of the wonderful Garden State!
sunnysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Back before DW and our friends and relatives got GPS navigation, they all used to call ronstar for directions.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
But the job looks like it is going down the tubes and unless there's a rapid turnaround I'll probably be fully retired again by May 1st after saying:
After all the months that you've talked about your KMA hat, you would think that the bosses would've had plenty of warning about the job trend.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Walt, does that mean your name needs to go on the Class of 2013 list? Or is there a special list for re-retireds?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

Working years are the "meal" and retirement is the "dessert".
The avatar will change from time to time.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Old 12-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Moniker: I have been a homebrewer for 20 years.

Avatar: the Good Soldier Svejk, the main character in a classic work of Czech literature. Svejk is a conscript in the First World War who never quite manages to make it to the front lines. A little man caught in the machine story which has lots of hysterically filthy humor.

Signature: something I read in a book by Charles Murray which crystalizes the way I see the world.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

My screen name - boring.
Avatar - the paint job on the rear of my motor home. It looks like someone let the genie out of the bottle.
My sig - self quote - because that's how it has turned out so far!
Old 12-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #73
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Screen name: Originally REWanabe, it morphed into REWahoo! the day I retired. (Note I lost the "!"at some point. I was told it was a side effect of aging.)

Avatar: Someone named a bar after me

Sig line: Hey, they is.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:54 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
After all the months that you've talked about your KMA hat, you would think that the bosses would've had plenty of warning about the job trend.
They do know and the agency at the site is fighting the change but they're the smaller fish in the pond. As with so many other things the final decision will be made by people in Washington, DC who won't have to deal with the fallout.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #75
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I first heard about this fad called the World Wide Web back in 1992. Back then everyone didnt have 12 email addresses. My wife and I were trying to think up an email address for both of us to use. She went to New Utrecht H.S in NY City and I had visited the City of Utrecht in The Netherlands while in the Army so we used Utrecht@whatever.com as our email address. I've used utrecht or some form of it on forums ever since.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Love to ride Harley Davidson became l2ridehd. Probably should use an avatar of my 06 Road King
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #77
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My screen name has a 2-part meaning:

1. As I had quite a big step-up in my portfolio and became relatively closer to FIRE, I decided I needed to add more fixed income to my portfolio....although I've since (unfortunately) put that on hold, given my confidence that as soon as I bump up my fixed income from about 15% to 30%, rates will jump up and I'll be looking at massive paper losses as I wait years for it to be offset by higher rates.

Of course, as the portfolio reached the stratosphere in 2007/2008, I kept telling myself Peter Lynch's quote of "More money has been lost trying to time market corrections than in market corrections themselves", and watched the portfolio drop as much as 50%. If I had stayed the course and added to fixed income, it would have jumped up quite a bit over the last few years. My only consolation is that I resisted the temptation to finally join the herd and go all-in on the internet craze in 1999 when people were paying 20,000x earnings for web-based companies that didn't even exist yet, so I figured I'm ok plowing money into emerging markets and dividend payers and slowly growing the stash by DRIPing the cash flow for now, and then add more fixed income later on when rates bump up.

2. Growing up, I was a relatively big James Bond fan, and Roger Moore was my favorite Bond (still is, with Daniel Craig in 2nd).

So, I figured I'd combine the two and give it a few meanings.

My avatar is from a random stop on the side of the road in New Zealand (South Island), during an epic month-long trip I took in 2006/2007, which instantly placed it tied for first on my list of favorite destinations.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

When I first joined this forum, I chose a name close to ReWahoo's former name, REWannabe, or some such. In order to avoid confusion, at least about who was whom between the two of us, I picked another name out of the blue. Channeling Palladin, for reasons long forgotten, my name is a take off of Have Guns, Will Travel...

Current avatar is an abandoned railroad, that I thought would make an interesting photo. Current sig stolen from somewhere, because I thought it was humorous. Both the avatar and sig are subject to change at my whim...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

My name says how I feel. I am so ready to FIRE but I'm one of those that is waiting 1 more year...or is it 2? When I found this sight and began thinking about RE I put a name together that is exactly how I feel about FIRE. Haven't decided on an avatar.

Me being 56 and one last child still in college, I'm waiting until she is graduated next spring!. Then maybe a year or so to accumulate more funds. Can't seem to forget '08.
SoReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

I picked my avatar because she makes me laugh with her perplexed look of surprise. The movie Exotic Marigold Hotel about retirees uses my sig line, which I discovered is from Bob Dylan originally as I recall.