Wife gets inheiritance

... so i asked her if she would consider marriage counseling and she agreed it would be a good idea.
This is a good sign. Take heart!

I agree that, if necessary, search out a different counselor if you don't see progress. Not all counselors are created equal.

Try not to make it all about the money. Tell her and the counselor that you want both of you to feel connected to one another and that you are willing to go to as many counselors and as long as it takes to get there.

Good on you!

you are willing to go to as many counselors and as long as it takes to get there.

Good on you!
Councilors dont come cheap and if medicare or private insurance doesnt cover the cost i think our enthusiasm on a financial level is going to wane rather quickly after just 1 or 2 councilors..

Councilors dont come cheap and if medicare or private insurance doesnt cover the cost i think our enthusiasm on a financial level is going to wane rather quickly after just 1 or 2 councilors..

Try the church.... the preacher who married us told us he was available for free...

Truthfully this counselling business shouldn't be too complex. I think you could probably self counsel.

First do you both want to stay together? Yes, moved to question 2. No, see a divorce lawyer.

Second, both right down the 3 things that the other does that peeves you the most. Swap lists and decide if you are willing to change the behaviour. If not, see divorce lawyer. If the answer is yes detail what you will change.

Third, come up with a plan on how you will reconnect. Date nights, travel, things you can do together - ie walks. Think about what you did when you were dating and what you enjoyed during that period.

Give up which? Give up $500K that was never his in the first place yet may eventually be used for his care, or give up what's left of the marriage squabbling over $500K that was never his in the first place yet may eventually be used for his care?

I'm agreeing with FinanceDude. Nords, I don't understand your thinking about the "eventually be used for his care". If she won't kick in the dough for a car, what makes you think she'll kick in money down the road for "his care'. I think she has finally achieved financial independence and that if the situation gets bad, she can manage on her own. Maybe leaving eventually was always in the back of her mind but didn't have the guts (finances) to do it, but now that money is not the problem she might just consider it. Where are all the attorneys out there? Would this inheritance not be considered community property? I'm asking as I certainly don't know.

One thing for sure, this thread isn't boring anyone. Especially not any married person. :flowers:

ha

Here in Quebec inheritances are not considered community property and therefore i dont have a legal leg to stand on ,its all hers.

Here in Quebec inheritances are not considered community property and therefore i dont have a legal leg to stand on ,its all hers.

Jambo, maybe the counselor can help you to "stop worrying and learn to love the bomb."

But from here, it's hard to imagine a clearer set of walking papers, unless it's a meat fork in the back or a well placed GSW.

Ha

Jambo, do you really want to save this marriage, or not?

Jambo, I'm really glad you talked with your wife about counseling and that you both are on board to give it a try. That tells me there is hope. I don't think either one of you has completely given up here.

I think counseling can be extremely helpful. It helps you both to understand the root causes underlying the issues you are arguing about. It helps you to each understand better where the other is coming from. It helps, as others have said, you both to communicate better. It really, really sounds like you both need to find ways to communicate better.

Also, though, as others mentioned, you can get a crappy counselor and may have to test out several. The cost is a concern, for sure, too. If you have a religious affiliation, sometimes they will have a fund that allows you to get discounted counseling from practitioners that have agreed to provided counseling at a reduced fee to church members. Just a thought.

Counseling may or may not work for you - but you have to hope that it will and go in with an open mind to do everything you can to save the relationship. Try to let your guard down and be a little vulnerable. Let your wife know you still love her and want to be with her forever and share your life dreams together (assuming that is true). If things don't work out, you haven't lost anything more by trying your best on your end to heal the relationship. You will know you have given it your all. (I know we all have to protect ourselves, too, from being hurt more...but I think putting up walls only creates more walls on the other side...)

I don't know if this applies to you, but in the organizations I work for (publicly funded) there is an employee assistance plan which includes counselling. It's administered by an outside organization and there is no link to your file in HR. Check your benefit plans.

I think 32 years is worth a few grand to save, if you are both willing to try that......divorce would be WAY more expensive than that, Canada or not........

I think 32 years is worth a few grand to save, if you are both willing to try that......divorce would be WAY more expensive than that, Canada or not........

Our company offers counseling services just like MeadBh says, and over the last 20 years I have had 7 of my folks get into serious marriage problems that have gone to counselling and I have been very pleasantly surprised at the outcome - 3 of them reconciled their differences and have been together for another 6+ years and counting.

Given the 30+ years of your marriage I very much second the advice from FD.

PS - don't ask your wife to pay for the cost of counseling out of her inheritance.

Jambo, how about an update on how things are going with Mrs. Jambo and her inheritance these days. Did you two reach common ground (I hope)?

Wow I forgot about this thread. One of the most interesting reads from both original poster and comments, thanks for reviving RE.

Jambo, how about an update on how things are going with Mrs. Jambo and her inheritance these days. Did you two reach common ground (I hope)?
Nothing much has changed,we just dont talk about it any more, i did suggest before the big crash that she put her money in secure guaranteed investment certificates called GIC's here in Canada,she didnt take my advice and lost $60,000 by keeping most of her money in Mutual funds, i didnt need to say a word, I didnt lose a dime:whistle:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom