Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-16-2009, 10:46 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Okay, folks, we have an opening bid.

How much is YOUR marriage worth?

(my attempt at wry humor - sorry).

When money is the problem, it's rare that money is the problem.

I've venture that she does not feel connected to you (and, of course, visa versa) at a heart and soul level.

You have called the marriage amicable. That's a long ways from connected. And certainly you may have been using a shorthand description and in fact have a much deeper relationship. But this situation has thrown you and you are not able to talk about these feelings with one another to a point that both feel understood.

What would "she" say about the marriage if we could ask her? What would her exact words be? If we asked her about her connection to you, what would she say?
Thank you Dr. Laura!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2009, 11:08 AM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
But... but... but... who's going to nag after you guys to keep you from feeling bored and unfulfilled?!?
Hey, I can do bored and unfulfilled all by myself!

Occasionally, I'm quite good at it.

-- Rita

Old 05-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
But... but... but... who's going to nag after you guys to keep you from feeling bored and unfulfilled?!?
<Hand shoots straight up in the air>
I'm in the halfway house right now. I'll keep this crew in line.

Or would that be a case of "the conductor leading the orchestra" ?

Update: It just occurred to me that I forgot to chime in as single, too.
We are both legally single, but mentally married. dh2b and I constantly refer to each other as husband and wife.
All that is missing is the license.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:56 PM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll be rejoining all you single folks in less than 90 days now. The asset division was so amicable that we didn't even bother to hire a lawyer. I'm wondering if the feeling of freedom I'll experience will be as strong as the feeling I experienced when I FIRED.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #125
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Thank you Dr. Laura!
No prob.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Actually I have to disagree with the majority and say that I can see why Jambo has reason to be upset. All the money he has earned over the years has gone into the mutual pot, yet when wife gets a windfall she is not willing to share. I won $1400 in Vegas on the weekend does that make it my money or should I share? I put it straight into joint funds.

As to the parents not leaving it to them both, I would think this would be common, as most parents leave it to their child rather than child and spouse.

He is not asking her to spend the lot, but rather to ease the situation so he doesn't burn thru his 401k. My question is why should Jambo burn thru his 401k to support day to day living expenses. If she is not willing to share she should from hereon in put in 50% of all living costs. What if Mrs Jambo was to leave Mr Jambo, she walks away with her inheritance in situ because Mr Jambo was supporting here and he is left with a depleted 401k.

What is interesting about this question is I wonder how influenced people are by their own situations. I notice that most who say it is who and keep your hands off are in a situation where they have or expect to inherit. I never did and never will inherit anything.

I think after 32 years of marriage, Jambo has proven he is worthy of being a shareholder in this inheritence.
I agree 100%. DH and I share everything equally - no separate accounts in this household :-).
Old 05-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I think after 32 years of marriage, Jambo has proven he is worthy of being a shareholder in this inheritence.
People's desires are not always in agreement, even in close relationships like marriage. And even if spouses were in accord before, changed circumstances, attitudes, outside relationships, "growth" etc. can alter what seems attractive or even tolerable to one or both parties.

There may be all sorts of valid reasons for keeping inherited assets separate; from my POV any reasons asserted by the beneficiary are valid. However, to keep peace requires a bit of judgment and emotional intelligence, particularly on the part of the one who got the money.

To stonewall even modest requests such as the car is a a big 2x4 up the side of the head. The clue bus has arrived. Decisions from here are mainly tactical. Challenges arrive when they arrive, not necessarily when we want them or are ready for them.

The poster who pointed out that the power relationships have changed is right. But most of us realize that power must be handled with skill. When it isn't that too tells you something about changed motivation.

Who has not known a young doctor who ditched the wife who shared his not very attractive life for 10 or a dozen years until he finally finished his medical training? Who hasn't known a woman who went back to school after her kids were up and suddenly found out that she could support herself quite well, especially with some child support; and that attractive men that were expert in new areas that she was vitally interested in were also very interested in her as a woman?

There is no law that can enforce love, or sharing, or anything other than an absence of criminal acts between spouses.

As a first person participant in one bust-up and a fairly close observer of many others I'd say it is hard to put limits on feelings. Often we fail to update as we go along, because while the information is there, it is unwelcome so we tend to pass it by as we hurry to pick up the dry-cleaning or the kids or to put in another day at work.

Ha
Old 05-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Ha, I'm giving you a 20 (on a scale of 10) for that post. Double points!

I am very impressed.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:02 PM   #129
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Ha, I'm giving you a 20 (on a scale of 10) for that post. Double points!

I am very impressed.
The reality is that relationships have to be renegotiated on occasion. And renegotiations are not always successful.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Okay, folks, we have an opening bid.

How much is YOUR marriage worth?

(my attempt at wry humor - sorry).

When money is the problem, it's rare that money is the problem.

I've venture that she does not feel connected to you (and, of course, visa versa) at a heart and soul level.

You have called the marriage amicable. That's a long ways from connected. And certainly you may have been using a shorthand description and in fact have a much deeper relationship. But this situation has thrown you and you are not able to talk about these feelings with one another to a point that both feel understood.

What would "she" say about the marriage if we could ask her? What would her exact words be? If we asked her about her connection to you, what would she say?
Well apparently marrage is not worth 500K to jambo101's wife or she wouldn't be hoarding it.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:41 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

This is an interesting thread, and the issue may apply to many people though not to myself.

We are not going to get anything from my wife's side, as her folks are broke. From my side, the inheritance would not be much compared to our current networth. We will not be faced with this issue, but reading this thread, I asked myself and my wife how we would handle it.

Being married for 29 years, we always keep a joint account and never hide money from each other. Throughout our career, I have always made much more than my wife, even counting my lean years when I toiled for eventually worthless equities with start-ups. When we spend money, it is always with the knowledge if not consent from the other.

So, the idea of hoarding an inheritance would not come to mind with us at all, though we will be spared this sticky problem.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:54 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

The only thing I may be inheriting from my Mom ( and not sure since I have two sisters )is one of those chairs that push you to a standing position and if my SO wants it he can have it .
Old 05-16-2009, 07:59 PM   #133

Oh, a lift chair. Better take it if it comes your way. Medicare won't pay for one. They will only pay for the motor part of the chair with a doctor's script.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:58 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

I have thought about this for awhile... and the thing that gets me is the feeling that she thinks he should ride the bus... Now, if I had been working all my life and struggling to put food on the table, a couple of cars in the drive and a nice roof over the family's head... and my reward at the end when the spouse got $500K was... I get a new car and you get nothing... well, I think I would be in Jambo's camp... even though I was not before...

Again, it is the current situation that to me is the problem... if you had a lot of money and it was not a problem to buy a car (ie, not a struggle like you are talking about), then I would go back to my first thought, it was her money and I would not care...

To say it again, if the family is fine without the money, no big deal... if the family is not fine (struggling), then it is a big deal....
Old 05-17-2009, 02:22 AM   #135

Jambo, since you are reducing your pot by $25k for a necessity (car), perhaps you should reduce your throw into the family kitty by $1000/yr or $83.33/month. I suppose you could tell DW that she'll have to make up the $83.33/month by larger donations or by budget reductions...

R
Old 05-17-2009, 02:28 AM   #136

...Boy am I glad that:

-DW will have no inheritance
-any inheritance I get will be less than 3-4% of our net worth, if anything
-DW has no interest in money other than to have enough for a few not too expensive hobbies and food on the table...in that order
-we love each other more than we love money.

For the poster who asked how much our marraige is worth?? ...PRICELESS!!!

R
Old 05-17-2009, 03:26 AM   #137

Wow - great thread. I agree with the poster who said the issue isn't necessarily the money, it's the power/control and the sudden rules change - and the acting on the changed rules. Add the daughter's desires in the stew and you have a really spicy one.

Yup - money isn't about money, it's about control...over time, over resources...etc. Something somewhere sometime planted a seed for this particular incident to highlight the changes quite graphically.

Jambo - I suspect the relationship has changed quite a bit and either a renegotiation regarding the power balance and/or relationship existence will need to occur. I'm sorry to hear it. I feel for you as it reads as if you've worked hard to provide a good life for all of you.

One other idea came to my mind - you said you are in your 60's or so. Many rules have changed regarding marriages since you began yours. I know that my parents' marriage was a victim to some of the sociological changes that occurred.

In any case, I wish you well in whatever path you choose.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:57 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

DW and I have both inherited money over the years. DW has inherited much more than I. We have not spent any of it yet and it is held in joint accounts. For full disclosure... I earned much more money than she did (when she worked). She is ER'd, I still work.

It would be interesting to hear your DW perspective. I am a little surprised... since it appears you are sensible with money.

The motive is anyone's guess... but it sure sounds selfish. Assuming your marriage is on a solid footing (otherwise), it is probably a control issue.

I would have difficulty with that situation. Work all your life, share and share alike.

Perhaps it represents some sort of safety net to your DW.

I can remember my mother inherited a small amount of money from her mother (maybe $20k). I remember her making it a point to keep it in a separate account. For some reason, she felt it was a safety net for her. She grew up during the great depression and always worried about being flat broke (although there was little chance of that). My father always worked and provided (she was a housewife). All of my parents other money and the property was set up with joint ownership. Plus, my father adored my mother, so there are never even the slightest chance he would leave her.

The only thing I can figure out was that my mother always had a fear that things would get bad someday (probably a result of growing up during the great depression and being poor in childhood).

Bottom line - my siblings and I inherited that money, she never spent a cent!
Old 05-17-2009, 04:03 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post

Jambo - I suspect the relationship has changed quite a bit and either a renegotiation regarding the power balance and/or relationship existence will need to occur. I'm sorry to hear it. I feel for you as it reads as if you've worked hard to provide a good life for all of you.

It has changed ever since she got that damn money,i'm wondering if this isnt a symptom of menopause, she seems to be always unhappy,bitching at me constantly,continually haranguing the kids sometime bringing them to tears,its just not fun around here anymore.I know a lot of people might just send her on her way but i had so many dreams as to what we were going to do together when we retired that its not easy to realize none of them are likely to happen unless we resolve the issues and the thought of spending my golden years alone is a somewhat terrifying prospect and at this point her recent attitudes are hopefully short lived or changeable.
Or maybe i'm missing the whole game and she's got something going on the side
Old 05-17-2009, 06:24 AM   #140

Go find a marriage counselor QUICKLY!