Wife wants pool

jflynn4

Recycles dryer sheets
All ... I don't want to debate the benefits versus issues with actually having a pool ... I'm afraid that part of it has already been clearly decided.

My question is whether to go with a concrete or a fiberglass product? I've done tons of reading on the subject and for every positive on either one, there's a corresponding negative.

The size we're looking at makes both an option and we live in East-Central Florida so, from a soil standpoint, either should work just fine.

Does anyone have experience / recommendations on which way to go? (Both have initial costs that are about equal).

Thanks!

You would need someone who has owned both to answer. My pool is concrete or rather plastered, so I would not know. Would you not need a concrete backing to the fiber surface?

Anyway, a plastered pool can be converted to fiberglass later by resurfacing.

I have had both and found that fiberglass, while a little more expensive for us, was easier to maintain. Concrete was also a little rougher but that pool was put in 25 years ago. Haven't noticed any differences with chemical consumption. I would say jump in and see how it feels to you.

All ... I don't want to debate the benefits versus issues with actually having a pool ... I'm afraid that part of it has already been clearly decided....

When Mama ain't happy, nobody's happy. Enjoy the pool (and see if Mama has a preference in construction :))!

We had an in-ground pool that was neither concrete or fiberglass. As I recall the bottom was sand and the sides were metal and a vinyl liner was around both. You needed to keep water in the pool as the water pressure against the sides was part of the structural integrity of the pool. We had to have the liner replaced every 15 years or so.

Also see Fiberglass Pools vs Vinyl Liner Pools vs Concrete Pools: An Honest Comparison

We have concrete with a Pebble-Tec surface, going on 22 years now. We've had straight plaster before that and really like the looks and durability of Pebble-Tec. It doesn't show all the discolorations that plaster can. Fiberglas didn't have a good reputation in this area when we installed our pool.

I'd probably stay with what's popular locally unless you have a problem with it. That should make it easier when you sell.

I've never used anything but felt, so can't help you here.

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 97
Having maintained a 52yr old pool (concrete bottom / porcelain laminated steel sides / steel (not stainless) rim for the last 37 years all by myself (which has been total he11), I'd say go for the liner pool first and fiberglass second. You said not to mention it, but since you live in Florida, I'd definitely say go for it. I'm up in the north where it gets cold, and everytime somebody around here asks me about getting a pool I tell them this: Everytime you want to swim, go to the closest hotel, rent a room for $100, and swim all you want. At the end of the year, you'll be many $$$ ahead and save tons of labor and heartache.

I've never used anything but felt, so can't help you here.

HAHA, my wife bought our pool and our pool table (with custom-made sticks). She is in charge of buying all of the fun stuff :)

Back
Top Bottom