Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
WiFi All In One Printer - which one to buy
Old 04-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 427
WiFi All In One Printer - which one to buy

My current printer does not allow me to print from my ipad. Looking at various apps, still can't find one that will work with my (HP 2610). Time for a new printer. Hope for one that will also fax over OOMA.
Also, how does the fax function work over the web on HP printers?

Thanks
__________________

__________________
Disappointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
RockyMtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Scottsdale
Posts: 1,229
Have an hp officejet 4620. Wifi, all in one printer. Works with ipad. Pretty pleased with it so far. Fax over majic jack ip phone works great. Only downside is have to answer incoming faxes manually. Paid like $60 at Costco.
__________________

__________________
FIRE'D in July 2009 at 51...Never look back!
RockyMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,878
I don't think faxing over ip works, without a third party provider like efax. You still have to have a phone line for a fax/printer.

Make sure your new printer supports apples airprint protocol ( that's the trick ). There are some paid solutions like this Print From Your iPhone or iPad to Any Printer | PCWorld

There was also an "airprint installer" program for windows that allowed shared printer. It may not work with new versions of iOS ( 5+), some tweaking involved

How To: Enable AirPrint on Windows (32/64Bit) with iOS 5+ Support - MacRumors Forums
__________________
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
RockyMtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Scottsdale
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
I don't think faxing over ip works, without a third party provider like efax. You still have to have a phone line for a fax/printer.
Works fine for me...and these people as well!

Fax Using Magic Jack Plus - Bing Videos
__________________
FIRE'D in July 2009 at 51...Never look back!
RockyMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Works fine for me...and these people as well!

Fax Using Magic Jack Plus - Bing Videos

I know it works over MJ, I use it. But it is a VOIP phone, not just an internet connection. I was trying to say that you can't just plug the printer into your router and fax over it without having something to handle the fax protocol, be it a VOIP phone, or an internet fax service.
__________________
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.
SumDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 799
Just got a new HP 6700 Premium at Costco. There was a sale, and it was <$100. Of course ink is ridiculous, but I've come to accept that.

We don't have an iPad, but you can set up an email account with HP, and send docs (or whatever) from your smartphone or tablet to that email address, which will send it to your printer. Takes a couple of minutes, but it does work.

So far, I like it very much.
__________________
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.
Jack_Pine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 834
At our rental house we have a Brother. Everyone raves how easy it is to connect to and how well it works.

I will have to get the model......
__________________
The Constitution. It's not just a good idea...it's the law.
Jack_Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 8,587
Are you sure?
As far as I can tell, the HP ePrint app should do what you want.
__________________
braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
RockyMtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Scottsdale
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
I know it works over MJ, I use it. But it is a VOIP phone, not just an internet connection. I was trying to say that you can't just plug the printer into your router and fax over it without having something to handle the fax protocol, be it a VOIP phone, or an internet fax service.
Good point....I believe you are right about plugging straight into the router.
__________________
FIRE'D in July 2009 at 51...Never look back!
RockyMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RunningBum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,164
I really like my Brother MFCJ265W that I bought a couple years ago for $70. Looks like it's been replaced now, Amazon suggests the 425W for $108 now. I don't print much and got tired of paying $30 for replacement cartridges when mine dried out. This one uses small cartridges that I can buy in a 10 pack (4 black, 2 each of the other colors needed) for under $6. It's been reliable, and rarely jams.

Not sure about OOMA for fax. I've faxed a couple times over my land line. I'd think that scanned and emailed documents will make faxing totally obsolete soon, but you may still have a need now.
__________________
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets
Life_is_Good's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 227
I use an HP Laser Jet Pro CM1415fnw Color MFP. I have an all Apple environment and it allows our iPads to print using Apple's native "AirPrint". It prints beautiful color laser output, and includes scanning, copying, and faxing capabilities too. It's simply the best printer I've ever owned. No more wasting dried up ink cartridges. I'm 100% satisfied

You didn't mention your price range, but this printer cost me about $347 a couple years ago.
__________________
Life_is_Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
target2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life_is_Good View Post
I use an HP Laser Jet Pro CM1415fnw Color MFP. I have an all Apple environment and it allows our iPads to print using Apple's native "AirPrint". It prints beautiful color laser output, and includes scanning, copying, and faxing capabilities too. It's simply the best printer I've ever owned. No more wasting dried up ink cartridges. I'm 100% satisfied

You didn't mention your price range, but this printer cost me about $347 a couple years ago.
Have an HP CP2025dn, which is color laser printer only. It doesn't have wireless or scanning features. I was reluctant to bring up color laser as a solution, but it is effective if you look at the cost per print over a long period of time. Since it attaches to the network, any computer on the network should be able to print to it.

Dried-up printer cartridges and the cost of replacing what you thought was a full cartridge are a thing of the past.
__________________
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:19 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets
whitestick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 415
Another option is to get the Lantronix Xprint server (theres a home and an office edition). It will auto discover the printers on your network and enable them if you have wireless on your network to be air printed from an apple device (iPad,iPhone, MacBookPro, etc). Home edition includes an ability to plug in one USB printer as well, or multiple via a USB multiple jack. Once set up, it just works. You can customize it and add oddball printers by writing to the company, although, its found most of the current and even old printers that I have around, and made them air print compatible. As always YMMV, but it worked for me.
About 100 depending on which model.
__________________
Mens ability to see the future is limited by their horizons of today!
Unknown!
whitestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
zinger1457's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,452
I've had a Brother MFC 7840W all in one laser printer for several years and have been very happy with it. I've never used the fax option so can't comment on that.
__________________
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Have an HP CP2025dn, which is color laser printer only. It doesn't have wireless or scanning features. I was reluctant to bring up color laser as a solution, but it is effective if you look at the cost per print over a long period of time. Since it attaches to the network, any computer on the network should be able to print to it.

Dried-up printer cartridges and the cost of replacing what you thought was a full cartridge are a thing of the past.

+1 on the dried up cartridge....

My DW was using my laser so much that her ink dried.... and it had only printed maybe 10 pages.... show full, but nothing coming out... a big waste of $20... (I just paid $85 for a new black cartridge for the laser, but it is supposed to be good for 2,500 pages... ink at $2 per page vs laser at a bit over 3 cents...).... OHHH, just remembered.... the second cartridge that I bought at the same time was dried right out of the box!!!


I have heard others say good things about Brothers.... I think I will be going that way next time....
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
target2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

+1 on the dried up cartridge....

My DW was using my laser so much that her ink dried.... and it had only printed maybe 10 pages.... show full, but nothing coming out... a big waste of $20... (I just paid $85 for a new black cartridge for the laser, but it is supposed to be good for 2,500 pages... ink at $2 per page vs laser at a bit over 3 cents...).... OHHH, just remembered.... the second cartridge that I bought at the same time was dried right out of the box!!!

I have heard others say good things about Brothers.... I think I will be going that way next time....
When I purchased the color laser, I also went out to find a b/w laser. Settled on a Canon all in one. That allowed me to trash a scanner and a fax machine.

Cost per page depends on a few factors. Some cartridges cost more per page out of the box. Then you have amount of coverage on the page. These are my estimates of cost per impression, one side only.

B/W Laser -. 05/.10
Color Laser - . 25/.50
Inkjet -. 50/1.00

I always turn these printers off, which is a small inconvenience. But saving on energy is something I've always been vigilant about.
__________________
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #17
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 559
bought canon mx430 2 months ago 70 dollars. does all 4 things. wireless network setup went smooth.

in setup you down load some initial programs for working and has some additional
programs if you want them.

one of these is AIRPRINT which works with apple products.

i got it shipped to my door like i said for 70 dollars from best buy

however-as some posters said you need a real phone line to work as fax. i have charter phone and it does work for faxes although you need a little tweaking
__________________
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.
SumDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 799
Just wanted to retract my previous post:

Quote:
Just got a new HP 6700 Premium at Costco. There was a sale, and it was <$100. Of course ink is ridiculous, but I've come to accept that.
Apparently HP has a system whereby the warranty is voided if you use anything but their ink cartridges. Long story, but I'll never own another one. And luckily I bought it at Costco, so back it's going.
__________________
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets
ducky911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 397
Hi,

I have the ipad 1 and it would not print....now the new printers will print from anything that can send a email. All you do is make an attachment to an email and send it to your printers email address. It will open the attachment and print.

I bought the hp 8600 at Costco for about 200 dollars.

Bob
__________________

__________________
You've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
I hate (despise) loads and fees
Retired July '11 investments 55/45 in very low cost index and mutual funds, balance once a year at best.
ducky911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:58 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.