Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-21-2008, 02:29 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Back in the day, I taught slide rule. How erudite I felt, at the time. I am SO GLAD that I didn't base my career upon that particular experience.
Our kid was doing logarithms in Kumon a few months ago and asked (quite reasonably) what they were for.

So I whipped out my father's slide rules (three of them!) and showed her how useful they could be.

She was horrified.

Anyone wanna buy a used classic set of 50-year-old sliderules?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Our kid was doing logarithms in Kumon a few months ago and asked (quite reasonably) what they were for.

So I whipped out my father's slide rules (three of them!) and showed her how useful they could be.

She was horrified.

Anyone wanna buy a used classic set of 50-year-old sliderules?
Frank collects them. He bought one of those old bamboo Pickett sliderules at an antique shop for $25 last weekend. I think he could have bought it new for less than $5 way back when. So, hang on to them (or check out prices on e-bay!)

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:22 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I think the problem with cobol is that now that we're in the post millenium bug world, there are way too many people with skill in the language than there will be projects that need to be worked on. Unlikely to be a lot of new development either relative to the number of people who could potentially do the work.

Seems like they have been trying to kill off COBOL for at least twenty years now. But, there are still some things it is best for. Where I work, we converted most of our stuff to Oracle a few years ago. But, still have a lot of COBOL. It still keeps me pretty busy. Mostly maintaining old programs, but still writing the occasional new one.

You're right that the new people coming in don't seem to be learning it. When I RE later this year, someone will have to dredge their old COBOL skills out of memory.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:08 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

At 27, I can relate to way too many of these. I was *shocked* to hear that many schools no longer teach cursive! What do they do in third grade now?
Old 02-25-2008, 07:57 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
All the stuff we've learned thats either obsolete or on its way to being...

Obsolete Skils: Skills/Skills
i'll take FORTRAN, along with using IBM punch data cards. programmed scientific apps for years. <cobwebs are stirring>
Old 02-25-2008, 08:10 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Ya want a couple of obsolete skills? How about fluency in PAL-8, DIBOL and Bliss32?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:00 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ya want a couple of obsolete skills? How about fluency in PAL-8, DIBOL and Bliss32?
um...what is PAL-8? i recognized the other two.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

PDP-8 Assembler language. Either entered in octal through front panel switches or if you were lucky, by paper tape.

PDP-8 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:56 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
PDP-8 Assembler language. Either entered in octal through front panel switches or if you were lucky, by paper tape.

PDP-8 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
gulp - i do remember the PDP 8 and 11 systems. never had to do the switch thing though.

and darn it, i have seen paper tape fed systems. from a very safe distance...LOL
Old 02-27-2008, 11:08 AM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
gulp - i do remember the PDP 8 and 11 systems. never had to do the switch thing though.

and darn it, i have seen paper tape fed systems. from a very safe distance...LOL
I remember doing the switch thing, and PAL-8. That PDP 11 took up an entire room in the lab. But that was waaaaaaay, way back when I was a sweet young thing, back when computers really looked like a computer should look, with all those lights and switches and stuff and all impressive (to sweet young things, anyway).

Keeping a safe distance from paper tape was probably smart. I remember carrying my punched tape around in my purse, and then trying to feed the mangled tape into those paper tape readers... but that was a couple of years after those jolly times with the PDP-11.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-27-2008, 11:14 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
i'll take FORTRAN
I wish that were an obsolete skill. Still shows up in the darndest places.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:43 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp3 View Post
I wish that were an obsolete skill. Still shows up in the darndest places.
FORTRAN is like gum on the bottom of your shoe on a hot day. once you've had direct contact with it, try as you might it just won't come off. you can rub it off, you can use a butter knife to scrape away at it...but a little sticky residue is still there. LOL
Old 02-27-2008, 04:54 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I remember doing the switch thing, and PAL-8. That PDP 11 took up an entire room in the lab. But that was waaaaaaay, way back when I was a sweet young thing, back when computers really looked like a computer should look, with all those lights and switches and stuff and all impressive (to sweet young things, anyway).

Keeping a safe distance from paper tape was probably smart. I remember carrying my punched tape around in my purse, and then trying to feed the mangled tape into those paper tape readers... but that was a couple of years after those jolly times with the PDP-11.
and does anyone admit to being mesmerized by the spining of the 9 track magnetic tapes on the PDP-11's? being a space age baby, i yearned to be a technogeek from childhood. Mr. Spock was an idol. <me was a wierd kid>

remember all those movies where they had banks and banks of eccentrically spinning mag tapes? spin, pause, spin spin pause..it was hypnotic.

and when i got my first real job programming, i felt i had arrived. sad but true.

just kidding...
Old 02-27-2008, 05:29 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

In my day as a ~17 year old, I could thread and load one of those 9-track TS-11's (aka "the tape stretcher") in the wink of an eye...

Remember the red plastic write protect ring you could stick into the groove on the back to keep your tape from being accidentally overwritten?
Old 02-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
In my day as a ~17 year old, I could thread and load one of those 9-track TS-11's (aka "the tape stretcher") in the wink of an eye...

Remember the red plastic write protect ring you could stick into the groove on the back to keep your tape from being accidentally overwritten?
Absolutely! I had forgotten the color, but I remember using them.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-27-2008, 06:00 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Absolutely! I had forgotten the color, but I remember using them.
OMG, the rings. we (the data reduction team) used to play Ring Toss while we waited...zzzzzzzz...for the data to be loaded. one of us would extend an index finger and be the target, while the rest of us tried to toss it onto their finger. or we would set up an empty waste basket and take turns with 5 rings and see who could get the most in.

ah the memories...
Old 02-27-2008, 06:41 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:

I recall them being yellow; but it's been years...
Old 02-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

we had blue, yellow and red. made it interesting for "teams" for ring toss. our boss would wander in and just shake his head. and smile cuz we got the work done.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:51 PM   #39
Confused about dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to nonrecourseloans
Oh my - this one is more painful than the "A person born on this date in 1990 would be old enough to vote .... and would have never seen a video disc ... etc" Good laugh, thanks!