Wikipedia - Did you know?

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
When we're looking for information, we go to Wikipedia... usually Googling the subject. Have you ever gone to Wikipedia page one... and did you know about these sister sources?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

And just one of these sources:
"Wikimedia Commons
a database of 25,294,408 freely usable media files to which anyone can contribute"
images-sounds-videos

Attachments

• Wiki.jpg
    Wiki.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Yes, I know.
Imoldernu, you might find this book interesting. It was published in 2006.
WIKINOMICS | ABOUT THE BOOK
Yeah... interesting look at the economic impact. Imagine... 9 years ago. Much prescience about the subjects of science, creativity, interconnectivity and the $$$ that used to go imaginative entrepreneurs, that are now... immediately in the public domain.

I just recently dicovered the breadth of knowledge in the sister projects. Easy to see how this could easily obviate the production of in depth studies on almost anything. A good example came from my search of the travel section (WikiVoyage). I input the location "Martha's Vineyard" and found out more than I ever knew when we lived there.

I find it just amazing that it's possible to go to one source (Wiki) and become
an expert. Usually able to learn more salient info, in a short "read" than some college courses offer over a semester.

Growing up, my folks invested (for me) in the 30 volume Encyclopedia Americana.... $200 at a time when my dad was earning about $50/week.
It was the ultimate gift that they saved for over a whole year. Today, at the click of a mouse, and free... knowledge beyond everyones' most optimistic expectations... and growing geometrically.

Seems there should be enough there to build on, for a peaceful world.

Last edited:
Yes, we have access to so much info, it's mind boggling.

If only I could retain what I have read.

No, I haven't explored the sister sources of Wikipedia other than arriving in those systems due to following a Google hit.

Thanks for the reference.

-gauss

Thanks IM. I have run into a couple of those by happenstance but didn't realize the breadth of resources. I will definitely use the voyage wiki.

Back
Top Bottom