Join Early Retirement Today

Wild Turkey in the Backyard - Photo
Old 06-05-2005, 01:48 PM   #1

Wild Turkey in the Backyard - Photo

When I woke up this morning, I saw a Wild Turkey walking through my Backyard. This is the first one I've seen in this immediate area.

[img width=750 height=562]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Cutthroat-trout/Misc%20Pics/WildTurkey.jpg[/img]
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Wild Turkey in the Backyard - Photo
Old 06-05-2005, 02:12 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have a joyous and bountiful Thanksgiving!!

Old 06-05-2005, 02:24 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Used to get a whole herd of them through the back yard of my old mcmansion in the late fall. I hear they eat baby snakes which is probably why I never saw a snake, rattler or other, in our rattlesnake infested area.

When I first moved in and started letting the cats outside, my littlest one spotted momma turkey with a long trail of chicks behind her and squatted down into stalk/attack pose. I went about my business. The next morning when I let them out again, little one saw the turkey clan down the hill and quickly beat a path around the corner of the house towards the front. Methinks momma turkey taught her a little lesson.

One interesting fact I didnt know until I lived there for many years. Those turkeys can climb trees. Saw one walk up to a tree, plant a foot in it and walk right up the side, pecking at bugs all the way up. Pretty amazing to watch.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 04:12 PM   #4

Aren't wild turkeys great? We have a huge population where I live. You have to watch certain roads as there are some that are known turkey paths. My former office had a creek behind it and flocks or herds of turkeys living there. They would jump on our cars in the parking lot sometimes....And of course turkey poop...
Old 06-05-2005, 06:41 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Was I the only one expecting this?

Old 06-05-2005, 06:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
Was I the only one expecting this?

Those have been spotted quite frequently in my backyard
Old 06-05-2005, 09:56 PM   #7

Habitat is returning to its pre 1800 levels in Northeast US Partly due to Lyme disease- nobody wants to go out there any more for fear of ticks-- but also due to the fact that we don't cut down trees for houses and energy the way we used to around here.

We have wild turkeys walking all through our town's quieter areas during the past 5 years or so, and first one in our backyard this spring. An incredible bird - beautiful. I love the way that little feather juts out from the middle of their chest.

Last week at the local nature center across the street, I saw our resident mama turkey with about 8 little turkey chicks -- really a great sight. Wonder how many will survive to adulthood.

All this 35 minutes from New York City, in a town which has zero lots available to build on. (everything new is a teardown).
Old 06-06-2005, 06:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob
Habitat is returning to its pre 1800 levels in Northeast US* Partly due to Lyme disease- nobody wants to go out there any more for fear of ticks-- but also due to the fact that we don't cut down trees for houses and energy the way we used to around here.

We have wild turkeys walking all through our town's quieter areas during the past 5 years or so, and first one in our backyard this spring.* An incredible bird - beautiful.* I love the way that little feather juts out from the middle of their chest.

Last week* at the local nature center across the street, I saw our resident mama turkey with about 8 little turkey chicks -- really a great sight.* Wonder how many will survive to adulthood.

All this 35 minutes from New York City, in a town which has zero lots available to build on.* (everything new is a teardown).
That "little feather" is called a "beard" found mostly on toms but sometimes
on hens as well. Turkeys are fun to hunt but very wary. Out here in the
"boonies" we have possums, raccoons, deer, turkeys, ducks, geese, snakes,
and chipmunks in "the yard". Ticks are a problem here also. This year
has been especially bad.

JG
Old 06-06-2005, 12:50 PM   #9

John,
We have possums, too. Fascinating animal -- the only north american marsupial, I believe. It's great to see habitat coming back -- makes me feel like we aren't screwing up the environment after all, at least not everywhere.

My favorite around here are the family of woodchucks that moved in last year. At least flor now they are happily burrowing away off on a forested part of the property. When they discover they like our lawn, me and nature may start to butt heads...